Excessive Barking

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

I'm having a little issue with Ming Ming and her barking in the A.M. hours. I have her gated at night and she does fine until the early morning hours. She goes on the barking binge until someone lets her out. She access to her water/food and a area where her puppy pads are. She doesn't want to go outside, tried that and she just lay out in the grass or on the driveway.

I was wondering if this behavior could be stop or control?

By the way Ming Ming is 3 months old.

The barking and crying won't stop if you keep giving in to her and letting her out. She's training you so you have to nip that in the bud immediately. IGNORE her crying and barking. Yes it's hard - I too went through the same thing. But as long as she knows she has your attention, she will continue to do it. Once she realizes she's being ignored, she will stop. Also, if she happens to quiet down, then you can come out, praise her and even treat her, but ONLY when she's doing the right thing - as in staying quiet and not barking. It takes a lot of patience, but being consistent with the training is the only way you will achieve that success.

The barking and crying won't stop if you keep giving in to her and letting her out. She's training you so you have to nip that in the bud immediately. IGNORE her crying and barking. Yes it's hard - I too went through the same thing. But as long as she knows she has your attention, she will continue to do it. Once she realizes she's being ignored, she will stop. Also, if she happens to quiet down, then you can come out, praise her and even treat her, but ONLY when she's doing the right thing - as in staying quiet and not barking. It takes a lot of patience, but being consistent with the training is the only way you will achieve that success.

Ditto to everything said

Sunlite

I have a question, she's 3 months old? How long is she crated for at this point?

luvinpreciousntoby

Becky is on it!!!!

However,, I must admit,, I'm an old softie... When precious was a pup.. I put her crate on the floor next to my bed.. soon it was on my bed.. then the door open and my hand in the crate petting her.. next thing I know.. pup is sleeping on my pillow... lol.. I'm sure Toby will be the same... I love having them with me so it's all good...

Edited by luvinpreciousntoby
Seastar

Call me an old softy, but I never isolate a dog away from its pack (us) during the night. It's unnatural. At this point, we have two who regularly sleep with us, and three under the bed. Three months is just a little babydog.

The answer to Sunlite question about how long she is crated. I don't crate her, I just have gated. I put her up for the night about 8 p.m. which is the time that we go upstairs. She doesn't bark until sunrise at about 5:00 am. Then it doesn't stop. I would get up to take her out, but she doesn't want to go out just want out of the gate.

I even tried to putting her up at a later time before I go down for the night, but that doesn't work either. So. please continue with the advise.

Seastar

Nine hours all alone is a long time.

kcsheperd

Yeah, they want to be with you, so she is probably barking saying, "mama! I miss you!".. I sleep with mine too. They always want to be in the same room with me, so maybe you could try gating her off in your room at night, as opposed to leaving her by herself for so long. Or put her in a playpen at night and see if that makes her feel better. At that age they are wanting to be comforted and they get lonely, so she is probably just missing you.

KristenE

Some pups are just early risers and think you should be up too. The absolute latest Biscotti has ever let us sleep is 6:30. However the past couple days she's getting me up at 5:30. I would love to ignore her but I'm afraid she'll wake the kids with her barking. Personally I'd rather wake up with the puppy and have a nice quiet house until 7am when my 4 girls get up.....then have 4 cranky tired girls LOL. Maybe once they're out of school for the summer I'll ignore her and break the super early wake up call. But for now I'm dealing with it.

KristenE, I understand where you are coming from. I tried that getting up with her to quiet her down so she won't wake everyone up before their time to get up. My husband find it annoying because he has to get it up 5 am and the barking starts at 4 am. I let her out at 7 am once I get my kids off to school and bring her upstairs with me and she out for the remainer of the day. I also tried the gating her in my bathroom, but she starts the barking in there too. I don't want her to have full access to the house just yet until she is fully housetrain and I don't want to start in her in my bed.

The answer to Sunlite question about how long she is crated. I don't crate her, I just have gated. I put her up for the night about 8 p.m. which is the time that we go upstairs. She doesn't bark until sunrise at about 5:00 am. Then it doesn't stop. I would get up to take her out, but she doesn't want to go out just want out of the gate.

Wow, that is a long time and she's still very young...for her to go from 8 to 5, is about right though.. I put mine down anywhere from 10-11 and by 7, if I haven't taken them out yet, Chico will start to give me his warning bark that he needs to go out. Mine are 6 and 5 months now though so they're used to the routine, but at 3 months when I first got him - yeah he cried and barked more.

KC is right too - they just want to be around us and you said after everyone's off to work and school, she's with you and is out for the rest of the day - yep. .sounds like a baby wanting mommy... she'll outgrow it.

Personally I'd rather wake up with the puppy and have a nice quiet house until 7am when my 4 girls get up.....then have 4 cranky tired girls LOL.

OMG so true... :thankyou: when my boyfriend's girls come over and I bring my niece (ages 13, 12 and 10) they go to sleep late..3 or 4 am sometimes and the next day BINGO..Cranky pre-teens... :blush-anim-cl: :blush-anim-cl:

Thanks Riquena, I working with my baby. Right now its 9 pm and she is quiet. I just don't want to feel that I am mistreating her.