Socialization

chloechanel'smommy

Now that we are able to get out more, we have been going further in the neighborhood to check out the dogs. The three smaller dogs that we have met were all older and did not want to play with CoCo. One of my neighbors just got a toy poodle named Phoebe that was an owner surrender. I invited her, her kids and the dog over for a playdate today. Well, CoCo was so mean to the poor little poodle that I was afraid that she was going to hurt her. I kept her on the leash the whole time but everytime Phoebe got close to her she would growl or try to snap at her. I felt bad because Phoebe was trying hard to make friends. What can I do?

I saw on It's Me or the Dog and on Dog Whisperer where dogs were showed it was okay to be around other dogs by using treats. When there is another dog near Coco, make her focus on you and treat her for every time she pays attention to you, thus taking her attention away from the other dog. She will then learn that it's okay to be around other dogs and will socialize better. I've seen it done with pups, as well as adult dogs.

my dogs need more socialization with other dogs as well. So far they have been great with other dogs at the park. but when they see one on the street they start barking....id prefer they didnt bark when they see another dog or another person but I dont know how I can controld that.

I usually say shhhhhh and try to get them off doing something else but it dont always work.

GizmoHappyKitty

My dogs are actually better when they are off their leash when they meet other dogs than they are when they are on leash. Do you have any fenced in dog parks nearby? Maybe if you start off by taking them for walks together until they know each other better or letting them meet on neutral grounds rather than on Coco's turf where she may be more protective. My dogs are used to other dogs coming into their home since I have lots of small dogs come over often for groomings, they are actually better in the home with other dogs than they are in public..........lol.

Michele and the pups

CrazyTzuLady

I was going to suggest the off leash thing to. I have trouble with Gizmo when he is on the leash it is almost like he feels big and bad when momma's got a hold of it but if I drop it he is such a different dog.

kcsheperd

Yup, Me too.. ON the off leash thing. Rally always barks at other dogs if he see's them coming down the road, but never when he is at the dog park. I would try a dog park, or a 'neutral ground'. When you go into their house, or they into yours they already have a 'possession' of that home, so its better to keep it on a neutral territory. Ceasar suggests that the best way for dogs to meet is on the walk..Maybe you could try walking the little Poodle, then letting them play together afterward in a neutral place? Also, if she starts to act aggressive, make sure you correct her so she knows that its unwanted behavior. I bet she is just a little intimidated, and will warm up to her new friends soon! Good luck!