I SURE COULD USE SOME INPUT PLEASE!

Donnatk28

Hi All,

My little angel is now 6 months old. We use wee pads on protective trays (hard for me to get outside when needed). Krystal has a large x-pen that she loves with a tray in there and she never misses...potty's on it every time. I have an additional tray in the family room and one in our screened in garage when she's out there. She has NEVER used any other except the one in her pen. She would stop playing in the family room and run in her pen to use the wee pad in there and then come back. Suddenly, she still always uses the pen one when she is in there, but when she is out she goes ANYWHERE! I can't seem to get her to use the other ones ever and now she won't run to her pen to use that one unless she's in there. I've tried everything.....catching her in the act and bringing her to the pad, putting a soiled pad in the other ones.....can anyone give me a suggestion??? I want to leave her out of her pen more but not while she's doing this!!! Thanks a bunch.

~Donna

Sometimes when this happens, its better to just start training them for outside potties.

Some people use pee pads with success. I couldnt. Bert would use them, Lea and Maci would not. So it was just easier for me to train them all to go outside.

When you see a snag in the potty area, its best to start over from the beginning and do doggy pee/poo training 101 again.

Only allow her out of the pen when she has pottied. Even then only allow her out for about an hour, then put her back in again. You must also get any scent up out of your carpet of where she has peed before.... this will probably mean steam cleaning unless you was dilegently about cleaning it up at the time. If im not mistaken most girls here use natures miracle. I never had this problem as I have hard wood floors. I just used dawn/vinegar when mopping.

Maybe some of the other girls can help you that use pee pads 100% of the time, if that is how your going to keep her. If you eventually are going to switch her to go outside, its best to just do it now and not wait.

KristenE

I wish I could help. We started out with pad training and Biscotti was doing very well with it. But then one weekend we had beautiful weather and we brought her into the backyard to play. She peed in the grass while we were outside. After that one pee she no longer wanted to use the pads and started having accidents inside. So I just took the pads away (we had 1 downstairs by the sliding glass door that leads to the backyard, and 1 upstairs in our bedroom). At first we just took her outside once an hour to potty. We've been able to stretch it out since then. She just turned 4 months old so we still take her outside every 2 hours unless she lets us know she wants to go sooner. I can't wait to get it stretched out even more. But at this point I'm happy with every 2 hours :thankyou:. We've left her gated in the bathroom while we were gone for about 3 1/2 hours and she did hold it that entire time. But I'm not sure she'd hold it that long when she's not gated.

luvinpreciousntoby

The main thing I would add.. is that a lot of it is due to scent... if she has pee'd poo'd in an area.. like they said.. if there is any scent still there.. then she will do it again,, it takes a lot of patience,, but I would keep her in the xpen area except after she goes.. then allow her out for a while.. and every hour or hour and half.. take her to the pad and tell her "go potty".. and when she does.. reward/treat like crazy...

Good luck!

borzoimom

Its common especially with a 6 month old female to have a UTI. Especially suddenly going frequently. Before starting any training, a trip to the vet is in order.

Potty training issues are a totally different thing than a UTI. Im not saying it cant happen or that it should be totally ignored but there are generally more signs than just a relapse in potty training issues in younger pups especially younger pups that are usually smaller dogs to begin with. Smaller dogs means smaller pups and thus means more potty times and problems than larger breeds who can generally hold their pee longer than smaller breeds.

I hope that makes sense.

http://www.uti-in-dogs.com/

Signs or Symptoms of UTI in dogs

The first step in determining if your dog suffers from UTI is to check if your pet is drinking more water than usual. Excessive, insatiable thirst is one of the best indications that your dog is suffering from UTI. This is because thirst is the body's normal reaction to the renal problems occurring inside the urinary tract. If your dog is constantly thirsty during cold weather even if they are not under extreme physical exertion, this could be a symptom of UTI. Dehydration is one of the common signs of UTI in dogs.

It is also important to check how much your dog is urinating. If the amount of urine is noticeably more or less than usual, your dog may be suffering from UTI. The total absence of urine is the worst case scenario, as this could indicate that your dog might already have developed a more serious bladder problem.

The best way to determine if your dog is suffering from UTI is to observe your dog's urine activities. If your pet is constantly trying to urinate unsuccessfully, or if several attempts are needed before your dog can urinate, you might have to take your dog to the veterinarian for a definitive diagnosis.

Whenever possible, take a sample of your dog's urine with you so that a veterinarian can check the severity of the disease. It is also best that you observe your dog when you are out for a walk. Any irregularities are a sign that something is wrong. If the urine has a foul odor, blood accompanies the urine, your dog has a visibly tender bladder or if your dog's urine is sporadically excreted, then it is necessary that you take your dog to a veterinarian immediately.

Edited by Stacey
shihtzulovers100

All of my Tzus using wee wee pad as they are indoor pooch. They peep and poop on the wee wee pad. I put the trays at downstairs guest restroom, and another one at upstairs bathroom.

I like wee wee pad more as I don't need to suffer bringing them housebreak when it is pouring rain & thunder, killing heat summer, and freezing cold winter. Besides, they do not need to hold their peep or poop for hours until someone release them to housebreak.

My 2 puppies do have set back on using the wee wee pad, just like puppies have set back on housebreaking. I have to reinforce the training by continue re-educating where is the landmark to peep & poop. I bought 2 fire hydrants from Drs. Foster & Smith. Both fire hydrants are being put on top of the wee wee pad. The little fire hydrant's red color and scent has helped them go to the right spot to do their business.

Here is the link of the fire hydrants I bought -

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=13150

I also bought the training spray and spraying on the hydrants periodically to keep the scent STRONG to the puppies. Although I can't smell the hydrant or training spray's scents, but the puppies do as their nose are much better than human.

Here is the link of the spray I got at Drs Foster & Smith also

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=15224

The last thing I do is continue reward them with treats and also praise them after they did their business at the right spot. Treat is my secret weapon to encourage them doing business at the right spot. LOL!!!!

Below link is where I bought the treats -

http://www.k9cuisine.com/p-187-pet-n-shape-chik-n-chips.aspx

I got my wee wee pad at Petedge. Although the pad has scent, I still bought the fire hydrants and training spray. It is to ensure my puppies peep & poop at the right spot.

Link: http://www.petedge.com/Clean-Go-Pet-Maximu...-Pads-TP630.pro

Edited by shihtzulovers100
chloechanel'smommy

CoCo is completely pad trained. I keep one pad in a tray by the back door. No matter where she is in the house she always goes to her tray. She will also go outside if she is out there playing. The main thing to do would be to take her to the pad as soon as she gets up, after eating, drinking and playing and to treat like crazy. I always did a potty dance and told her what a good girl she was. Make a big deal.They love to be praised.

borzoimom

Sudden frequent urination is time for a trip to the vet.. Any changes in urination or bowel movements- same thing. If the dog was peeing the same amount times before and just simply started going some where else- thats one thing. To suddenly start going more often- thats another and should be looked at by a vet. ( I am reading the later..)

Donnatk28

Maybe I didn't explain myself well. She is not going potty more frequently, she just won't use the other two pee pad trays I have in the house. Only her one in her x-pen IF SHE'S IN THERE. She used to run back in there and use that one but now if she is out and about she will go anywhere. I bought the spray for the other two trays but it hasn't helped. She WILL ALWAYS GO ON IT when she is in there.....but won't if she's out and won't use the other ones ever.....frustrating me!!! but I love her to pieces!

~Donna

borzoimom

Is the tray plastic? Have you changed cleaners you are using on the tray itself? Or started to use a air freshner?? ( grasps at straws...) Is she spayed? Sometimes right before a female comes into heat they get a little odd in their potty habits. ( mother nature telling them to uh 'spread' the scent around..)

Donnatk28

Yes, the tray is plastic, the exact same one as in her x-pen that she always uses. In fact, when I got a new one I put the new one in her x-pen and the older one in another area......no dice.....still only uses the x-pen one.

No new fresheners or cleaners. Yes she is spayed.

:) thanks.

~Donna