Ming Ming's Nipping/Biting

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Hi all,

I am trying to understand that Ming Ming is still a puppy, but this nipping and biting is driving me crazy. I can't not pick her up without her trying to bite me. Even when I let her on the couch with me she still tries to nip and bite at me. I've done everything you guys have suggested as far as the tiring her out and giving her toys, but she would play with the toys for a minute then turn to nipping and biting again.

Walking in just about impossible. She just get a kick out your socks and pants legs.

I can say she only does this when she is playing. But its becoming no fun to play with her if she continues to nip and bite.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

kcsheperd

You need to make sure when you walk her..that its a 'walk' not a 'play session' if she starts biting at your pants and your leash, lightly pull her away from you (Preferable in a harness) where she can't bite at your legs anymore, and proceed to go forward walking.

As for the playing, if you go to pick her up and she bites, then say "NO" and grab a toy, and put it into her mouth. Make the toy chase her, and have fun with it, so she knows its okay to bite the toy, but not okay to bite you. If she does make a sound that is consistent with "NO" like Shhh! Or Ahhhh!.. or whatever its going to be, so that everytime you make that sound she associates it with "NO".. She's probably teething too, so take the washcloth, freeze it, and play with that with her, so that its not only fun, but soothing to her teeth.

Hang in there..she WILL grow out of this.. lol

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Thanks KCSheperd!!! The funniest thing is, she won't walk with the leash. She would stop walking once the leash is on her. I have to try the harness again, because it was too big for her when I brought it, but will try it on our next walk. As far as the yelling Awww!! I think she thinks am playing because that gets her to going more. But I love her anyway!!!

luvinpreciousntoby

It's a tough stage.. but I agree with KC you have to make a noise or say a word that she can associate with .. stop... replace your hand with a toy and do not allow her to chew on you at all.. Good Luck.. this will pass.

kcsheperd

Find something she likes (treats..peanut butter..egg..etc) and lure that in front of her to get her to move forward. Payslee was easy because she just wanted to follow Rally, so when she follows give her a treat. She will learn to love the walk. Pays has been walking every day since she was 8 weeks old. Payslee has enormous amounts of energy so I have to make sure at the end of the night she is SLEEPY..

If the AWW doesn't work..or OWW doesn't work..try SHHHHHT! Or 'WOOOOOO!".. Whatever word works to STOP the behavior..Payslee didn't respond to Oww, but she would respond to other words, and she would get sad if I walked away from her, or ignored her..So you might try that. I know you say you tried to spray bottle, but put it on 'mist' and then when she starts biting use your word, mist at her, and see if that helps..

Mom-Abby

I am of no help here. Abby is over a year and still mouths our hands and when we first come home she almost goes crazy licking and nibbling at our ears when we pick her up. Abby doesn't bite, she's never bit, but she does mouth and I know this needs to stop, but I"ve not had any success. I think I read somewhere that that is affection on their part and the sock thing is play. Got me,, I am a bad teacher

I am of no help here. Abby is over a year and still mouths our hands and when we first come home she almost goes crazy licking and nibbling at our ears when we pick her up. Abby doesn't bite, she's never bit, but she does mouth and I know this needs to stop, but I"ve not had any success. I think I read somewhere that that is affection on their part and the sock thing is play. Got me,, I am a bad teacher

Lea is the licker in this family, when she's up and ready to potty for the morning, she will pounce on your stomach even tho you've not had your morning pee yet lol and then if you try to roll over or cover your head she'll find your hand and lick lick lick or take her paws and dig at the covers, until you get up. Bert and Maci just lays there until your ready.

Lea used to lick our faces all the time, but slowly she has outgrew this a bit. But she will still lick my feet if they are on the floor and im sitting in correctly in the couch. We tried teaching lea that lick faces is not good by blowing in her face, oh she hates that lol but it works.

As far as playing is concerned with the sock biting etc.... I havnt had to deal with this much as bert and lea had each other to play with and kept them off me so much. I really dont have any suggestions other than maybe you just havnt found the correct toy to keep her interests.

Im thinking some kind of chew instead of a toy at this point. Like a cow hoove, deer antler, bully stick......... cow hooves keep mine busy for an hour lol

I know what you mean, Ming Ming's Mom. My Ody is about 14 months old. I brought him home from the rescue a little over a month ago. He was great to begin with but now he nips when he's excited and it's becomming a problem. He bites the leash and doesn't let go when starting to walk. He nips and jumps when you greet him even though I try not to make him excited. He gets this crazy growl and glazed look in his eyes if you know what I mean. I watch the dog whisperer all the time and am trying to break the problem before it gets worse. I am going to look into the classes they have too at petco. Help!

Edited by sueb45