How to stop finger nipping?

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Hi All again,

My little Ming Ming is finger nipper/biter. She does it to me often. When I pick her up or try to fix her topknot she does it. I was told in a pervious forum not to play with her with my fingers, which I don't do. And I make the kids always play with her with a toy. I do the loud yups, she would stop for a minute then do it again.

I have another thing I want to ask. Ming Ming knows that I'm her momma, but she response to my husband better then me. She will let him to thing to her that she won't let me do (brush/comb her hair). (I'm jealous!!!) I want this to STOP. I'm the MOMMA!!!! And the funny thing is he fusses at her alot, but she still listens to him.

Please give me your input!!!

FairyTail Josette

The finger nipping is a phase, Ming Ming will outgrow it. It sounds like you are already doing what is necessary. Having a puppy is like having a baby. Babies/kids go thru phases, too. I guess I would put your husband in charge of grooming for now. lol It's important to remember that puppies pick up on our energy. They mirror our reactions. So, always try to stay calm, cool, and collected when dealing with all the new puppy adventures. :)

Cackle

Yeppers I agree with Susie. YOu could also try making a loud yelp when she bites you, it kinda shocks them :-)

When my Chewy nips too hard and doesn't respond to my yelping (usually when he's really excited and playing like a nut), then I yelp and ignore him. I stop all play and walk away. He hates this. After a few minutes I'll let him come back over to me and he'll curl up next to me and try licking me tentatively. He knows it was the biting that caused me to ignore him. Sometimes he'll even pout a bit. LOL. That doesn't mean he won't nip again later, he does. He's a puppy and should outgrow it.

I notice that Chewy responds different to everyone in my home as well. When he sees my son, he'll act like a nut because my son will play with him that way. Chewy acts almost the same with my husband as with me...EXCEPT he responds better to me. I think this is primarily due to our personalities (my husband's being more laid back and mine being stronger and more assertive). When my husband wants Chewy to do something, his command is done in such a way that it feels more like he's "asking" Chewy, whereas mine is a calm but assertive "command." Also, I don't give in/give up as easily. It really does make a difference. Puppies (heck, all children) will push boundaries. It's how they learn. If they can get away with something with one person and not another, you can be sure they know it and will use it to their advantage. :)

miley's mom

When my Chewy nips too hard and doesn't respond to my yelping (usually when he's really excited and playing like a nut), then I yelp and ignore him. I stop all play and walk away. He hates this. After a few minutes I'll let him come back over to me and he'll curl up next to me and try licking me tentatively. He knows it was the biting that caused me to ignore him. Sometimes he'll even pout a bit. LOL. That doesn't mean he won't nip again later, he does. He's a puppy and should outgrow it.

I notice that Chewy responds different to everyone in my home as well. When he sees my son, he'll act like a nut because my son will play with him that way. Chewy acts almost the same with my husband as with me...EXCEPT he responds better to me. I think this is primarily due to our personalities (my husband's being more laid back and mine being stronger and more assertive). When my husband wants Chewy to do something, his command is done in such a way that it feels more like he's "asking" Chewy, whereas mine is a calm but assertive "command." Also, I don't give in/give up as easily. It really does make a difference. Puppies (heck, all children) will push boundaries. It's how they learn. If they can get away with something with one person and not another, you can be sure they know it and will use it to their advantage. :)

I agree! We have a large family and Miley is different with each one of us! It certainly didn't take him very long to learn each of our personalities and respond and get away with things accordingly. Miley listens better to my husband as well. But then so do my kids, haha. I'm not a push over but they're with me all the time. But when Dad speaks they listen. When he's very serious, he has a more authoritative voice that really means business.

purdybits

I believe our pets can pick up when we are upset or tense about things......puppies usually outgrow the nipping once they are through the teething phase and I like the advise that was given that putting a puppy down and walking away is the best thing to do....they don't like being ignored and will quickly get the message...they love attention and lots of praise and when they don't get it, they will quickly change their behavior to get back on your good side.....

Good Luck.....