I started training with a clicker today and it's fantastic!!! I've been using it when I take Oliver out to pee and poop and it's amazing how well it worked. He is so excited to go it's cut the waiting to a fraction of the time. I should have been using this since the first day I brought him home!!

How does it work?

Yeah more information, do you think it would make Mits and Molly stop barking at people at the front door??????

LondonGirl

I think clicker training is great for the early days. As they get older full-on training (usually in a class with other dogs) is probably the way to go. But clickers are wonderful for stopping unwanted behaviour at any age.

Lots about clickers here: http://www.clickertraining.com/

Lorraine, thanks for posting the link - it explains it better than I ever could.

Click on the 15 tips... and it will explain it all in great detail. I had read a lot about it and had even bought a clicker, but for some reason didn't begin using it until yesterday. I couldn't believe how quickly and enthusiastically Oliver caught on. You're supposed to 'load' the clicker before using it to teach/reinforce behavior by clicking and treating immediately a dozen times or so. He learned very quickly that the sound brought something good. He gets very excited every time he sees it. I can't say it would work for everyone, but considering how cheap it was - less than $2, I say it's worth a shot. Most of our trips outside are now: go out, pee/poop, click, treat, come in or play. No more endless waiting! :hysterical:

luvinpreciousntoby

i found the clicker to be .. too much in my hands.. lol.. leash.. clicker.. treat.. oh my! but I use the word "GOOD" as the same thing,, said in a certain high pitched voice.. whenever I'm training,, and they do it.. I said "Good" and treat.. just keeps my hands so I'm not fumbling..lol..

That's great he's doing so well.. youmust be more coordinated than I..LOL

I doubt it!! I'm known for my lack of coordination :) I wear it around my wrist and it dangles down into my hand. I've been teaching 'wait' at the door on leash and I have the leash around my wrist as well. I do fumble around some though. I bet using the word 'good' in a special voice is just as good a marker as a clicker. As a teacher of 10 and 11 year olds, I always say use whatever works to get the job done where teaching and learning are concerned!