I need some sleep!

chloechanel'smommy

Ok. Chloe' came home on Friday. I knew I would be heading back to work on Monday so I got a pack and play for her to stay in during the day as well as at night. She HATES it!! She barks her head off like someone is killing her. As to not keep the house up all night long, I took her out of it and let her sleep on her princess bed in the livingroom and I have been sleeping on the couch. She has no choice but to be in the playpen during the day because I know I shouldn't have but that is the only way that she would shut up. Last night I put the bed in my room but I didn't get any sleep for watching her. When I got home I set CoCo's crate back up set it in the livingroom (high traffic area) and put her in that. She barked for a while and then fell asleep. I didn't have a problem with CoCo when she was this age so I don't know what to do. The fact that she is asleep in the crate right now is a good sign but I am afraid of what may happen when she wakes up. any suggestions?

RedyreRotties

Be patient. Anyone getting a new puppy should be prepared for at least a week of crate training adjustment if the puppy was not crate trained before.

Here are some suggestions that might help. :D

Put the crate by your bed, right by your bed, so you can dangle your fingers near the crate and she can lick or smell you.

Cover the crate with a sheet.

Get the puppy TIRED.

Feed the puppy a medium sized bed time snack about 9pm.

Be patient, be strong, get earplugs, however, if you are going to crate train her, you must begin to stick strong, and keep at it now. If you keep letting her out, she will just learn to scream longer and be more determined.

And let me tell you a secret. One day you won't remember any of this. Not a bit of it. It will all be a soft golden glowing happy memory as you look at that adorable little puppy waiting to come home with you.

;)

Kae+Gizzy

Be patient. Anyone getting a new puppy should be prepared for at least a week of crate training adjustment if the puppy was not crate trained before.

Here are some suggestions that might help. ;)

Put the crate by your bed, right by your bed, so you can dangle your fingers near the crate and she can lick or smell you.

Cover the crate with a sheet.

Get the puppy TIRED.

Feed the puppy a medium sized bed time snack about 9pm.

Be patient, be strong, get earplugs, however, if you are going to crate train her, you must begin to stick strong, and keep at it now. If you keep letting her out, she will just learn to scream longer and be more determined.

And let me tell you a secret. One day you won't remember any of this. Not a bit of it. It will all be a soft golden glowing happy memory as you look at that adorable little puppy waiting to come home with you.

;)

Great advice :)

I wish I could be more insightful regarding this but mines sleeps on the bed with us :D

The only other thing I can suggest is maybe putting an item of clothing in the crate that has your scent on. I hope you manage to get some sleep soon. Having a new pup always reminds me of the days following my children's births. It is so tiring but so worth it :)

tzukeeper

You've been given some great advice. I did just as suggested above and it worked great. The not giving in to the puppy cries is so hard....hang in there. :D

MisterMom

I have a large tent camper dog crate that I put on the bed next to me. Other than having to get up at 3:30 or 4 to go poop, I'm usually awake anyway, she stays in there and chews toys.

Wendy gave you great advice so go with those and yes, be very patient.

I went through the same thing with Chico. His cries and incessant barking eventually turned to little yelps, but he did it almost every night for about 5 months. If I paid attention to his cries, he just got worse!! It slowly got better, but started to get bad again before I had them spayed/neutered and now I let them sleep outside of their crates, and just like Wendy mentioned, I don't even remember it anymore! He hasn't cried in three weeks. I don't need to plug my ears or take Tylenol PM anymore!! (well I keep it handy in case BF starts snoring!!) :D

I did everything mentioned above with Biscotti. Also I NEVER took her out when she was actively crying or barking. I'd always wait for about 10 seconds of quiet to try to make it so she didn't associate barking with being rescued. I think the first 5-7 days were the hardest then all of a sudden she seemed to "get it" and then things started to get better and better each day.

kcsheperd

I'm awful for this too, as Payslee threw a HUGE fit in the crate screaming and barking.. I get up at 3:30am, so that was a dealbreaker for me.. So I just put her in my bed, but she did great at that..happy little camper! I'm a light sleeper, so if she woke up, it woke me up, we went outside to pee pee, then back to night night.. Payslee is 100% potty trained now. I use the crate, for when I have to leave, or go out for a couple of hours, but I just didn't have the strength to do it at night! lol..

When Oliver cried in his crate at first I smeared a little chicken liver kong paste on my fingers and dangled my hand in front of the door. The crate was right by my bed, and lying on my stomach I just drifted off to sleep while he licked my fingers. I guess he licked a while then went to sleep, because I wouldn't hear a peep out of him until he woke up to go out. After a few nights, the crying pretty much stopped. Sometimes he whimpers a little, but settles down soon. Good luck with your baby! :D

awwww....

work with crating during the day too....

play with her sitting next to the crate, throw a toy in etc... also feeding in the crate helps....they soon learn that hmmm I get fed in here and they look forward to "running and jumping" into the crate at feeding times lol

borzoimom

I also take the puppy out one more time for the last potty break.. Adding a old shirt ( without any buttons or zippers obviously) to sleep on helps too.

We call it the " someone is torturing the puppy" scream or 'poor little me' cry.. LOL.. I do not let the puppy out of the crate when any crying. Any time the puppy is crying if you let the puppy out, the puppy has received " the reward' they wanted. Mine get a cookie when they go in. This gives them something to do for a few minutes, and resets the brain from " I was just out of this thing..". Good luck and handing you some ear plugs..

luvinpreciousntoby

WE got our new lil pup 2 months ago.. we also use a pack n play.. toby goes in no problem... lays down and goes to sleep.. in fact if we have him on the bed while watching TV and he's ready for bed, he will walk over to where we have the pack n play and whine.. I'll put him in it and he'll lay right down and go to sleep.... when we first got him, he would wake up all hours of the night barking,, we took him outside or on the potty pad.. sometimes he would want to play.. but after a few minutes we could get him to go back in and quiet down... don't give up.. we only took him out if it was a.. Momma.. I gotta go bark...

good luck,, I too was sleep deprived and getting grouchy.. but this soon will pass.. stick to your guns.. and it'll be done before you know it

mr.coffee

Yup.

1 week and 5 days in here. Harley spent the first 5 minutes in the crate, inconsolable. From there he moved to our bed for two nights. Then he peed on the blanket.

By then I'd already started getting him accustomed to being in the box, it took some clever manipulation starting with just the bottom shell and my t-shirt and working up to luring him in with treats and such. Day 3 he was getting better about car rides closed in and such, so he got to sleep in the crate again....he didn't like that. Much 'yep yep yarp yarp yow yow yow ow ow ow ow ow yep yep yarp yarp' ensued, he was promptly moved out of the room, where he amplified his protesting. After a while, he started to tire out, we moved him back next to the bed and he realized 'hey, this is better, at least I'm not alone in the dark here...'

Now he's gotten to where he makes noises in his sleep, and mewls to get our attention for potty breaks, but otherwise is doing well. We still don't feel rested, what with the 1:30 and 4:30 outings, but at least he goes in and goes to sleep.

Perseverance is the thing. Not an easy thing, but the thing. :)

-m

CrazyTzuLady

We were horrible here...daddy gave in to Gizmo shortly after he came home and put him in bed with us. That is where he has stayed every since and now we have at least 3 and sometimes all 4 of them in bed with us. We also had a few accidents on the bed but nothing the washing machine couldn't take care of. Hubby and I love having them in bed with us we wouldn't have it any other way. :D I know that doesn't work for everyone but it works for us. :blush-anim-cl:

chloechanel'smommy

Thanks for the advice. she did just a little bit better last night. Longer intervals between her crying. I have tried everything I can think of. Hope this ends soon.