Harley will not learn down

Harley will sit great and come fairly well. He will drop stuff when I tell him, but he will not lie down. I've tried the treat to the floor and he just bends his head down to take it. Our large dog, Zuke will follow the treat down to the ground in a lying position but Harley won't. Even if you force him down he will get right back up. Don't know what else to do...

As you put the treat down in front of his paws/nose pull it away towards you just a bit until he goes down, DO NOT give treat until he does as asked

Do not repeat the command if he doesnt do it. This just reinforces to ignore you. Move onto Sit or Come etc.... then do the down command again.

Also Victoria Stilwell says to never force a dog do something, they will do it without force.

FairyTail Josette

First, get Harley to sit. Then, take the treat in front of Harley's face and move the treat down in between their front legs and in towards their chest, in a "L" position. As soon as their stomach hits the floor, praise and reward. Repetition helps, but, don't over do the training sesson, spread the session out over the course of a day.

Here's a video, that explains it: Sit/Lay Down Command video.

RedyreRotties

You must be patient. :D

Try moving the treat out towards the front, back between the front legs, or around to the side, turning the dog's head around towards his rear.

DO NOT let the puppy get the treat until or unless his elbows are on the floor. And yes, the pup should be sitting before you try this.

If he backs up, sit him with his back in a corner.

DO NOT say down unless and until his elbows are on the floor. If you say down before he IS down, you are telling him that down means whatever he was doing when you said it. This applies to ALL TRAINING. Do not let a dog in the learning process hear the command word unless he is performing the action.

:D

kcsheperd

Yup, you have to be patient..Usually they will paw at your hands, and sometimes they will paw at the floor..but if you put it down like the others have suggested, and just WAIT, he will lay down. The key to "down" is make sure they go ALL THE WAY DOWN. Sometimes Payslee would cheat, and just put 3 legs down, and kinda lean on her hip, so then when she got the treat, she would pop right back up. So once they go down, even if its for a second and get the treat, make sure you give them a release command "Okay" Or "Up" or whatever you use, that way gradually you can teach them to stay down for longer amounts of time. Down is one of the hardest to teach, because it is a submissive position, but Harley will get it! :D

Or, you can be like me, and not even bother to try. :D

lol...Seastar...I'm with you I think! :D

I've tried the treat to the floor down the chest and out in front. He just leans his head down and sniffs the treat and looks at me....and waits. He has sit and come pretty well. 2 outta 3 aint bad. :D

I had to back Maddy up to a wall like was suggested and then he had no choice, he couldn't keep moving back, which is what he kept doing. Might give it a try.

purdybits

lol...Seastar...I'm with you I think! :aktion033:

I've tried the treat to the floor down the chest and out in front. He just leans his head down and sniffs the treat and looks at me....and waits. He has sit and come pretty well. 2 outta 3 aint bad. :aktion033:

What a beautiful furbaby......love your signature........!

RedyreRotties

The other thing you can do is called "Capturing".

This works for any behavior. When the dog lies down, say DOWN!! GOOD BOY!! and treat him. The more often you can do this the sooner you will "capture" the behavior, and the sooner the dog will learn that down means "this", and I get a cookie.

:aktion033:

CrazyTzuLady

Or, you can be like me, and not even bother to try. :aktion033:

I'm with Paula! :aktion033:

Well, I finally got him to lie down but it wasn't easy. He would back up and try to bend his head around to reach the treat. He finally backed into the clothes baskets and slid down and I said down and gave him the treat. We did this for a few minutes and then I had to get started on dinner. Apparently so did Harley 'cause later my son found the treat box ripped open and empty in Harley's bed. I think he jumped up on the bed and found it. So if nothing else, he's learned to jump up on the bed. lol :whistling: :)