Oreo is soooooooo slow when it comes to going potty!

oreo's mom

Oreo is the slowest dog on earth!! Haha! He'll want out to go potty and this even happens first thing in the morning, after he's been in his crate all night. It takes him forever to go!! OMG!! This morning, it took a whole 30 minutes before he would urinate. He spends his time sniffing, finding sticks, etc. This happens every morning. If I take him in the house, he wants right back out. When he finally does go, I bring him in right away so that he know thats what I've been waiting for. What in the world can I do to speed him up?? :aktion033:

luvinpreciousntoby

LOL good luck! Our Precious is so nosey.. she also takes forever to go.. after a while.. I will simply make her come inside and she holds it until I take her out again,, eventually she has to go bad enough so she pottys right away... I wouldn't turn around and take her right back out.. even if she wants too, I would keep her in eye site,, but make her hold it a lil... good luck,, they are such inquisitive creatures... you could also try putting her on leash and walkin her in potty area.. just keep saying.. go potty..

RedyreRotties

FOOD FOOD FOOD!!!!

Teach your puppy that going potty earns him a tasty reward. Take treats with you when you go out with him. Make this a SPECIAL treat, such as tiny bits of left over table meat, or smelly cheese. At first, do not show him the treats.

As he is urinating, tell him what he is doing. I say "go peepee". Keep saying this while he is urinating. Do not say it until he starts. Say it in a happy praise tone of voice, and as he is about to finish, take out the yummy treat, and as SOON as he is done, praise him mightily, saying GOOD PEEPEE!!! while you face stuff several really tasty treats in his mouth.

Soon he will really be looking forward to going outside, and he will also begin to urinate promptly for you. At this point you can start asking him inside if he needs to "go out and go peepee". You will know he understands when he runs to the door when you say the magic words.

ALL dogs can be trained in this way to urinate on command. Very handy in bad weather or when traveling. :aktion033:

borzoimom

Nah... lol. He is just ' reading the newspaper" we call it.. lol. Giving a treat right after he goes might help though. He also could be delaying going know that means its time to go in, and he doesn't want too. If that is the case, do not bring him in right after he goes.

Edited by borzoimom

My Josie has always been the same way. I would get sooo frustrated and it was a LOT harder to house train her because of it. I was and still is that "all the world has to be aligned just right to go potty OR poo"..... Well, all that has changed recently. Somehow, she figured out what Maddy does and he goes pretty quickly....once he is done, she will find just where he went and suddenly "all the world IS aligned just right" and she will potty right on top of his.....such a little "boy" she is.....LOL

Really, I did find that taking her ON leash to the same spot and then NOT letting her leave til she pottied and THEN letting her play outside for awhile AFTER treating her worked best. She then learned that I was not going to take her out, ask her to potty and then wisk her right back in to the house. She knew she had time to do her sniffing after. She still tho, has just always been slow, Maddy seemed to be rewarded by just getting to go potty. His feet would hit the grass and he would pretty much go right off the bat, still does.

Good luck, you just have to find what works for each individual dog.

oreo's mom

FOOD FOOD FOOD!!!!

Teach your puppy that going potty earns him a tasty reward. Take treats with you when you go out with him. Make this a SPECIAL treat, such as tiny bits of left over table meat, or smelly cheese. At first, do not show him the treats.

As he is urinating, tell him what he is doing. I say "go peepee". Keep saying this while he is urinating. Do not say it until he starts. Say it in a happy praise tone of voice, and as he is about to finish, take out the yummy treat, and as SOON as he is done, praise him mightily, saying GOOD PEEPEE!!! while you face stuff several really tasty treats in his mouth.

Soon he will really be looking forward to going outside, and he will also begin to urinate promptly for you. At this point you can start asking him inside if he needs to "go out and go peepee". You will know he understands when he runs to the door when you say the magic words.

ALL dogs can be trained in this way to urinate on command. Very handy in bad weather or when traveling. :wish:

This sounds like a very good idea! I will give it a try, but one question.....when do I stop giving him the treats? I don't want to give him treats for the rest of his "urinating" life. Haha.

Thank you very much!!

Nah... lol. He is just ' reading the newspaper" we call it.. lol. Giving a treat right after he goes might help though. He also could be delaying going know that means its time to go in, and he doesn't want too. If that is the case, do not bring him in right after he goes.

Well, he sure does "read the newspaper" for a long time. Haha! I am going to try the treat method to speed him up some. I don't mind a few minutes but it takes him up to 15 minutes. That's ridiculous! And I know that he needs to go because its when I get him out of his crate in the morning. I'll see how this works.

:birthday_toast:

borzoimom

See my dogs are the opposite. I take out to a spot to go potty, and once done- then its play time. I swear my dogs bolt out the door to go potty. Run to their place, and if sunny, its play time. If its pouring down rain they usually say " to heck with this" ( except the mudder Lindsey) and want to come in. However- this is their time- they waited for it. Thank God for the recorder on comcast, and I never miss a show I was watching- if they have to go out- its their time, and that is why we have a recorder.

When I am training a puppy, I take out to go potty on a lead. ( they have to learn that anyway in the future) and once done, I let loose and its their play time. They also have cookies when they come in. So if the weather is bad, and I have to get them in, they are still getting a treat ( I just cut it short that time but make up for it later on). Even if you bring the dog in the house and play time continues in the house ( like if it was pouring down rain).

Now snow- I have a problem with- Borzoi would rather be in snow than anything else short of eating a meal.. lol. That is a battle.. lol

mr.coffee

I've found Harley has responded well to the clicker plus a treat. He doesn't always hurry up and do his thing, but he's getting better every day, and no longer beats around the bush about it. I click every time, but I've begun withholding treats if he doesn't turn around and give me his, "c'mon, give it up man!" face...I'd say he gets treats about 4 times out of 5 right now. Eventually the treats for potty will be a rarity and the clicks will start to fade away.

Now, on his middle-of-the-night outings, he usually gets down to business right away, he wants to go back to bed as much as we do. :dede:

-m