potty training at night in crate

I got Sophie from my sister...last night was our first night in a hotel. I couldnt sleep at all...but she was scratching in her crate at 1am and 3 am to go out. She didnt cry...but I was up so I took her out. My sister has been taking her out around 9/10pm then at 2am and her hubby lets her out at 4 or 5 am and she gets up with her at 6:30 or so.

NOw...

That is not my schedule. We are up later...I usually get in bed by 11 or so. My hubby comes home at midnight and we are up at 6:30 or 7.

She is very good in her crate. She doesnt cry and she goes in with no problem. She eats in the crate on the floor but has nothing else in there right now.

I want to find out how to get her to last through the night? She is 6 months tomorrow. I am going to have to get her on a schedule with food and potty times. Granted...we just got her today but we have been with her the last week...and my sister has had her over a month now. She is so calm and relaxed...and doesnt mind the crate. She hasnt had accidents that I have seen in her crate in the last few weeks and has the divider halfway now. She seems very happy.

Any suggestions on a schedule for potty so I can eliminate night time potty breaks asap. I would love to do the PM and then the AM so she gets used to staying in the crate longer if needed. My sister lived in the country and never shut her doors. The dogs could go in and out as they wanted. That isnt going to happen here.

As far as being in the hotel and scratching at her crate... she was in a new environment and was scared probably... if you are still there then you would just try and put a sheet over it or a blankey so she cannot see out.

sit down with a piece of paper and right down your schedule..... then you fill in the gaps with what her needs are....

Such as you up at 7am, her outtime is 715am, then if you want to feed at 8am then potty at 830 or 9am..... etc etc.... and keep to the schedule for days so she can get used to your routine and get out of hers.

at her age really she shouldnt have to go out at night.... Lea was able to hold her though the night at 3 months and she was tiny tiny very small bladder... also some dogs do better with the night thing if they sleep with their mama's.... cause they are so comfortable they sleep through the night vs waking up and wanting mom then getting worried that she's not there then pee/poo in the crate or whine to get out. Just a thought.

it will take her days to get used to the way you do things and your time schedule etc... so dont expect changed over night...

I agree with what Stacey explained.

We just rescued a little Tzu end of June and she too is turning 6 months on Tuesday.

Luckily for me..she's a good girl and sleeps through the night..

But I started a schedule as soon as we brought her home.

Morning..

We get up at around 8 AM..(I work until later at night and don't get to bed until like you, around midnight or so) and I go potty and pour my coffee first off..that way I am settled before getting the other's up.

I get Emmi up from her playpen and we go STRAIGHT OUTSIDE TO POTTY!

Once she's pottied, (usually just pee and I do this to train her to go OUTSIDE) we come inside and I feed them! Then right after Emmi finishes her breakfast, we go back outside ( this is when she'll normally have to poop then) and I will usually sit out there with my coffee and allow the babies to stretch, potty, play and wake up a bit!

Usually within 15 minutes I know she's all done and has done her business...we come back in.

Then she gets let out periodically throughout the day.

We eat supper at 4:30 PM (I have to feed before I go to work) and then straight out to potty again when finished as she usually poops her second round after this second meal!

Then after I know she's done her business, back in we come in and she goes back into her playpen until I come home at 9PM, or if her daddy is home, he'll keep her in the PC room with him and take her out once or twice between 5 and 9 PM.

Then we go potty one more time before we go to bed..which they have come to know as NIGHT NIGHT POTTY and since I know she has an empty bladder and her bowels have moved after her meals..she's usually very content to sleep throughout the night.

Once she and Suzie and Corkey are all tucked into bed, they get a "night night treat" to tide them over until breakfast when we wake up!

By the way..Her playpen is only a means to potty train her. Once I know, like I did with Suzie 1 1/2 years ago, she can and will hold it all night and not potty on mommy's bed, she graduates to sleeping in the BIG BED with mommy...(my preference..lol)

But for now her playpen is set RIGHT NEXT to my bed, so she can see me and know she is not alone! I have also placed an HUGE fluffy teddy Bear I bought Suzie when she was a baby in there with her and she cuddles up to it to sleep and I don't hear a peep out of her until we wake up the next morning!

So far my schedule has worked wonders and she has only pottied in the house once and that was my fault..not hers! I got too absorbed on the PC and didn't put her in her DAYTIME playpen in the PC room and she wandered into the bathroom and pottied on my rug....OOOPS!

Edited by Apeke

So...do I just stop taking her out at night? Or do I have to ease into it? If I take her out at 11 or so...and then 630 or so...is that ok? Do I ignore the crying for the first week? Is that all it takes to eliminate that night time potty? My hubby says I should just let her cry since she only cries there at night. She doesnt cry any other time in the crate. I am not too excited about carrying the crate up and down the stairs everyday. I think it would be easier if I had a one story...but with the two story...what a pain. I really dont want her to sleep outside the crate...but my sister told me I shouldnt put anything in the crate with her until she is dry pretty regular. I know she has been dry the last 3 weeks...but do I wait till I eliminate that night potty break and then I can add a pillow or something?

I think I will follow the a schedule similar to what you had both listed. She has been great in the house...and goes potty within a few minutes of being out with no problems. I dont talk to her...I just tell her..GO Potty. Then after I give her praises and we talk...lol

Today I have tried to keep her in the crate a little more as she gets used to the house and seeing if I can keep her from going out all the time. I think she has gone out only a few times today...630(back to crate) 8am(ate breakfast in crate) 830 12 and she is about to go out now at 3pm.

She ate all my cats food today. That is new to her as I feed my kitties on the floor. I have to stop that as she cant have the corn...ugh. They have royal Canin and she eats taste of the wild.

I dont have any water in her crate though...am I supposed to keep water in there all the time...and remove it at night...like 7pm? I saw on that show...its me or the dog...she did the last dinner at 5 or so and water up by 7pm. Do you leave water in the crate the rest of the day? I have the water in the kitchen...but since it rained today she wanted to drink all the puddles in the yard...I didnt want her too in case there was any residual pestisides there.

Edited by mchel210
borzoimom

Stacey gave excellent advice.

Just to add- I also put a very small amount of water in the crate. Just enough if they got a little bit thirsty, they have it. ( as adults they are loose so this is just for puppyhood).

MisterMom

Brandi will be 4 months next week. She hasn't pooed in the house or crate in weeks, the bladder is another problem, but she holds it all night. She sleeps in a crate on my bed with some chew toys and a little water. I can hear here stirring around in the crate during the night at times, or chewing on a chew toy, but if/when she just has to go, she will scratch at the door. IF I tell her no, go nite nite and she really didn't need to go, she will go to the back of the crate and go nite nite. IF she really needs to go, then she will scratch and then bark to go out.

Last week or so we got to sleep to 8 in the morning !!! going to bed at 10 pm.

I dont crate mine with water..... is room for error at that point.... IMO... they have unlimited water outta the crate but not in.

leave all blankets and toys out, she should have nothing.... that way if she pee's she has to lay in it and she wont do that but once or twice and then she will learn lol....

but at her age.... shouldnt require potty trips unless you dont take her out right before bed.

I don't know if this was the right thing to do, but I did it and Oliver's been sleeping through the night without going out since he was 10 weeks. I took up his water bowl at 8:00 every night; if he went sniffing around his mat for it I would put a few ice cubes in his bowl and that seemed to satisfy him. The first time though I just put the ice in straight from the freezer and an ice cube stuck to his beard! I felt so bad, but he didn't even seem to notice. After that, I started running a little water over the ice so it wouldn't be sticky. Now at 17 weeks, I take up his water bowl at 9:00.

Maybe the 'ice trick' would help you and Sophie...