Older puppy adjusting to the new pup

kcsheperd

Yup, just let her do her own thing for now. Rally (my 11 year old lhasa) did not warm up to Payslee for a long...long......loooooooooooong.. time when I brought her home. From his perspective it was his house, and his stuff, and this new little wild baby came in and ruined it all! lol.. She will eventually come around, but it needs to be on her own..the baby will want to play with her, and she will put him in his place..but thats what she should be doing. She will teach him manners, and whats acceptable behavior with her, and what is not. Just give it time, I'm sure eventually she will appreciate her new friend, (but it might be awhile) ^_^

borzoimom

I am thinking the introductions were not done right... You need to take it slow. You have two juveniles, they want to play but since one came out of a bad situation, it will take time.. I would start with slow ( controlled ) intro's. ie you trying to play as a pack. Offer toys to play with etc, keep it brief..

Edited by borzoimom
MisterMom

3 months and Angel , 8 yr old, is still growling at and distancing from Brandi, 4 months old. Coco, 1.5 yr old, took to Brandi immediately. Missy 4 yr old, took 2.5 months. They will work out their own arrangements in time.

LondonGirl

Hiya, Jessica - glad you posted.

I found when I introduced my Tzu girlie to a ready made family, the 10 year old Westie girl tried to ignore her and the 2 year old Maltese boy was all over her like a rash. One year on and the two girls are the best of friends whilst the boy now always seems to have 'a headache wiv all these wimmin around' LOL. I'll bet if I give it a bit longer it will be all change again, and then again, and.......... just as long as they are not squabbling, I'm happy. ^_^

If it's just boys involved, I throw them together and let them work it out...they are SO much more laid-back than girls and have never had any problems bigger than both strutting around trying to pee on each other. (Yes, that's where the phrase "pissing match" came from!) Pretty much the same with one of each. With girls, I keep a close eye. If you have a lot of dogs and there is going to be a problem it will ALWAYS be between two (or more) girls. I realize there are exceptions to every rule, but this has been my experience as well as that of many, many breeders and other dog-folk I've known over the years.

wonderstars

Errr, I didn't mean to come across as if no one else had a life or anything. I'm sorry if it came across as that. Thanks for the advice.

I dont think you came across that way at all, there is times in ones life that checking the internet for anything just isnt a priority. I take breaks at times for days, sometimes weeks or even a month or two from posting and reading... normally when that happens I'm just fed up with the internet all together

GizmoHappyKitty

Errr, I didn't mean to come across as if no one else had a life or anything. I'm sorry if it came across as that. Thanks for the advice.

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way either. There are many times when I just don't have the time to post as well, or I start to post and get interrupted by someone coming to my door, the phone ringing or one of the dogs wanting something, that I forget to post the post and by the time I get back to it it's been too long and it won't post and I just don't feel like writing it all out again.............lol

We had Happy (the labX) first and when we added Gizmo at 10 wks old Happy was 8 yrs old and it took her almost a month to accept him and get used to playing with him. When we added Kitty, she was 10 wks old and Gizmo was a year old and Happy was 9. It took Gizmo about 7 - 10 days to get used to the puppy. At first he used to hide from her under the table huddled up next to Happy. I used to get down on the floor and play with them and get Kitty to grab onto a toy and then hand the other end of it to Gizmo. He soon realized that it was actually fun to have a puppy to play with. Pretty soon they were both running around the apartment with Kitty hanging onto his ears or his cheeks..........lol. It took my labX almost 3 mo. before she would play with the pup, but now they are all best friends and will eat, sleep and play together.

Michele and the pups

tugofwar13-13-05.jpg

tugofwar33-13-05.jpg

01GizKittyPlay3-14-05.jpg

smallGizHappyKitty4-12-05.jpg

kcsheperd

I didn't take it that way either.. I agree..Sometimes 'life' just happens and we don't have time to get to all the fun things we want to do.