I need help with this wild shih tzu!

AbbyLovesHazel

Hazel is now about 19 months old and recently stopped listening to me, especially when she goes outside. We live on a very quiet private lane and so the dangers are minimal which is why I let her go out off leash. The past couple of weeks have been a nightmare. She goes out and takes off up the lane. She runs to neighbor's porches and lawns and DOES NOT listen to me when I call her back. I am 9 months pregnant and can't be chasing her up the lane several times a day. Aside from the fact that I refuse to chase her in general, she is just too fast for me these days. I have tried spankings and have withheld treats upon coming inside but neither is working. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am pretty much at my wit's end with this situation. It is like she is in her "terrible twos" or something...

This is probably going to come across as rude or harsh, but I really don't mean it that way. Please don't ever spank a dog! All that does is teach the dog to be afraid of you. You need to keep her on a leash until you have time to work on her recall, some dogs never get to the point where they can be trusted off leash. The dangers may be minimal, but it'll only take 1 driver not seeing her or a neighbor with a dog aggressive dog, definitely not worth it to me.

Edited by bluesy

I agree, spanking won't really help, it may in fact make it worse. I would keep her on leash OR get a VERY long leash and when she takes off, call her back and pull her in gently if she doesn't come willingly and when she reaches you - treat, praise, treat and praise like crazy....kinda like recall 101. (Also adding to say, I need to work on mine as well, they are in the ignoring stage, but at least I do have a fenced back yard, so they can't run away. Don't run after her either, that will become a game....plus, you can't run after her....but best to start working with her now so when new baby comes, she will have a clue and when you are strolling with new baby, she will also be okay to be on leash and go with.

Hey everyone, we are on new baby watch again.....only, NO fur.....yea, when's the big day we are looking for? Congrats, and have a wonderful delivery....(I watched my 9th grandchild be born AT home and UNDER water, I even cut the cord....what an incredible experience - when my children were born, we were lucky to even be awake to watch our own be born) Do you know if it is a boy or girl and do you have a name....we always ask that about upcoming puppies too.. ;):P )

Wicket's mom

Wicket's trainer from his obedience training class taught me to still keep a 16 foot leash on Wicket, but not attach it, while he was outside (before we had our fence) to make it easier to catch him and to be able to correct him if he did try to leave the yard. With an extra 16 feet dragging behing him it was waaayyy easier to catch him and if ever he tried to go over my imaginary line (my property line) I would grab the leash, give a firm tug and a stern "no". He got the msg really quickly and stopped trying. We also used the leash to work on the come command. At first I would grab the leash a few feet away from him and say "Wicket, come here!" in a very cheerful voice. If he didn't budge I took a few steps backwards, still with the leash in my hands which forced him to walk forward. When he got to me I gave lots of praise and treats. When he started doing really well, I started picking up the leash farther away (gradually leaving more distance between us) and eventually we started doing it without the leash.

Even though you can't see him very well under there, here's a pic of Wicket playing with his brother early last spring. You can see he has his leash on, but he's not attached (His brother Brutus doesn't need the leash because he's very reliable and has a good recall)

20090426_24.jpg

He's still running free, but in a much safer way; and he's learning at the same time

20090426_37.jpg

I have to say that I agree with Rita in not spanking a dog. She's right, it just makes her scared of you. And she most likely doesn't understand why you're hitting her.

Good luck with miss Hazel! I know it's frustrating sometimes, but so worth it ;)

Edited by Wicket's mom

Hi there.. Congrats on the baby! I agree with the other folks, and Cathy that its better to try and get this situation under control before the new baby.. I also agree that Spanking doesn't help, and you are right to NOT chase her..When you chase them it becomes a game.. The best thing to do is like the others suggested with the long leash. You can also get some tasty treats and say "Hazelnut Come" and make it the most exciting thing ever..lots of energy, excitement, and gooshy talk so she wants to come see what the party is all about..then when she does, (whether it be while in your house, outside, or just across the room) reward her for coming when you asked her too..

Also, the first thing we learned in training class is "Pay attention".. You always want to be able to get her attention. So you get a treat, and put it up by your eye (you always want her to look in your eyes) and say her name "Hazelnut, Pay attention" or "Look at me" or whatever command you'd like to use. Then treat her when she looks at you. If she doesn't look at you, gently cup her head and have her look at you..then praise and treat.. You always want her to look at you when you say her name. This is an easy thing to practice inside the house too..Just keep rewarding her when you say her name and she looks at you. This has been a lifesaver command at my house, and once they learn "Pay Attention" its much easier to teach "Come" after that.. She will get it eventually, it might just take you a bit.. Hang in there! :hysterical:

Yup, NO spanking. Just keep her leashed. If you don't have one of the kind that extend like 16', get one of those. There are dangers lurking everywhere and you need your dog on a leash. If another dog attacked your dog, or she saw a deer or bunny, she'd be gone and you are in no shape to be chasing around. Take it easy there!

Well here is the problem with physical discipline. The dog does not understand it other than " well shoot- I am not coming back- I will be in trouble...".

There are two ways to help with this. One is to use a flexi or long lead. Then you call back and start with small steps. Meaning if you call and she stops, treat and praise. It wont take long to re establish a reward for coming. When a young puppy if you call the puppy, you are so happy the puppy comes. You will be restarting that learning. Remember the dog is thinking- okay- go play over here or get in trouble .. Hmm- I think I will go play...

I have had to train each of my pups at some time or another- re do this training. Independance sets in, but I do not want a game of catch. Remember to not give the dog a motive to run even more by negative once caught. I walk them down until I get them, praise gently, leash them then walk back to the house for treats. Even in a ( safe ) fenced in yard I do need to get them in the house at certain times. Two of 3 of them as soon as they see me coming with the lead, will come towards me as they know its going to be cookie time. Nina is about 90 percent. But when she isnt, I do the same thing..

This has been proven to work one day when Lindsey got out of the gate as company left not securing the gate. I grabbed the lead, started to have panic in my voice, stopped myself for a second to think " wait- do the routine" and sure enough when I said " Lindsey.." walking towards her with the lead she just stopped waiting for me to come, slowly wagging her tail. Leashed her- back in the house, cookie time.

ShihtzuBeauty

I'm sorry I too have to add to the no spanking it totally does nothing to correct behavoir just makes them afraid and leary of you. Also I would never let mine off leash way too many things can happen. Even if you have the "perfectly trained" furkid you have to be aware of other situations such as other animals that could come upon yours and attack your baby etc...scarry.

The only one thing that will solve your problem of not wanting to chase her is to keep her on her lead.

BTW I wanted to say "Congratulations" on your pregnancy. You must be getting soo anxious keep us updated! :hysterical:

I forgot to ask . . . When is the baby due? And do you know if it's a boy or girl? All of Aunties need to know so we can be ready to celebrate!

AbbyLovesHazel

See, when I got Hazel, I never spanked her. I mean, I don't plan on spanking my human child. I think it is cruel and the wrong way to teach a lesson. However, EVERYONE has told me that my no-spank policy is the cause of her disobedience.... I'm glad to know that there are others who don't spank. I have only tapped her a couple of times and felt terrible afterward. Besides, it is obviously not working.

Yeah, but tell us about your new human baby. What's your due date? We will go on "Official Baby Watch" if you let us know.

CrazyTzuLady

Yes I have to agree spanking isn't the way to go. You don't want her to be afraid of you, she will never come back to you then. I agree with the others you need to put her on a leash that is the only way you can be 100% sure she isn't going to get away or something else doesn't happen to her, especially if she is ignoring your commands.

Congratulations on the human baby!!! When's the big day? You must be so excited.

AbbyLovesHazel

I am due the 29th of this month... two weeks from tomorrow. I have a gut feeling that this baby won't arrive by then but am at least hoping she will be prompt. We are having a girl and are going to name her Harper Rose Adams. We just finished the nursery and are very excited! I am worried about little Hazelnut, however. I hope that she doesn't get terribly jealous...

YIIIIIIIPEE ABBY!!! ( let us know if you show up with nesting instinct. lol.. ie like feeling like you have to scrub floors, or clean tiles with a toothbrush.. etc.. LOL)

29th huh??? Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tap mine on the nose with my finger and say BAD GIRL when they don't do. After a few times, all you have to do is point the finger.

I forgot to ask . . . When is the baby due? And do you know if it's a boy or girl? All of Aunties need to know so we can be ready to celebrate!

I second this....................Aunties are the best!

Yeah, but tell us about your new human baby. What's your due date? We will go on "Official Baby Watch" if you let us know.

Date is now marked and posted on my fridge. I'll make sure I'm in here every day to check!

Congrats on the human baby.

Side note:

No on the spanking and a flexi lead and a harness is what I use. You can retrieve the little darlins

in an emergengy fast and w/o choking them.

NEVER EVER spank a shih tzu, they respond better to kindness than spankings. I have never spanked a shih tzu. I would however spank a human child. A huamn child would understand why she / he is being spanked. A shih tzu would not.

• 2 months later...

I am using the clicker, less than $1.00 and it does work. We have a big back yard and it is not fenced in the back. I call Zoe come and click, then I give her a treat, It works outside just not that good in the house.

luvinpreciousntoby

Congratulations on your soon to be born baby!

My precious is having a hard time with her coming... So I put her on the leash.. she hates it.. but it is well worth it as I know she is safe.. at least until I am able to work with her and get her back on it! Good Luck!