Socialization

chloechanel'smommy

Now that Chloe' has had all of her shots, we will be hanging out in more public places. Up until this point, we only go to stores, my parents and grandparents house. Chloe' does good with humans but I don't know how well she will do with other dogs. My mom's neighbor has a tzu named Chip. She brings Chip to my mom's when we are there to visit with Chloe'. She doesn't like Chip. She barks as soon as she sees him and she will not let him get near her. I feel sorry for Chip. He is such a sweet and smart dog and he just wants to play. He always wants to give Chloe' kisses but Chloe' will have none of that. What can I do the next time Chip comes over to make his visit more enjoyable? Chloe' has been a very rude hostess. Lol.

Maybe try meeting on neutral turf? Chloe might feel like she has to protect you, your mom, and your mom's house if you meet Chip there.

I also just wanted to add that your Chloe and my Lullaby are just about the same age! Lullaby just got all her shots finished up today.

Kay

Try getting both of them involved in a fun game like chase the ball.

Get them into some parallel play, and gradually Chloe may decide Chip isn't such a bad guy after all. Reward her for coming near him, that sort of thing.

You might want to look into finding a puppy class. Oliver and I took an 8 week course at Petsmart and it was great. The first class we were late and he was afraid to interact with the other pups, but the next few times we were the first ones there and he was able to meet them one at a time. By the end of the course he was the puppy initiating play with the others and had a blast!!!

chloechanel'smommy

Thanks for the advice. I will try to get them to interact by playing the next time Chip comes over. I also found a new place by my work that has a doggi daycer. I may drop her off from time to time so that she can play while I am at work.