Help! Now he peed in his bed (along w/poop in the room)

Hi

I have a previous post titled 3 yr old pooping (newly adopted male fyi)....if you want the back story...

He wouldn't do anything outside this A.M. b/c of torrential downpour rain. So when my husband came back at 3 pm there was not only the usual poop on the floor, but pee in his bed (first time this happened indoors). I am hoping this was just b/c of the am miss.

We're tired of picking up poop everyday..as in previous post, he's been pooping outside AND inside when we go out ..i guess out of spite/anger/axiety.

Will wee wee pads encourage him to do his business indoors? B/c we don't want that obviously but we need an easier cleanup. Now it's happening right on the floor :ohyeah: Please help :dede:

THANKS!

P.S. Should I crate him or be more patient? It's been a little over a week since we got him...

I do think it takes them a couple of weeks to get in a good routine. So hang in there.. I had a shih-tzu that would rather pee in the floor then get her precious feet wet! So He might be feeling some of that too, and not want to go out in the elements. Exercise is what ended up working for her..I would take her on a mile walk each day and literally "Walk the crap" out of her..lol.. :ohyeah: So keep doing what you are doing..I bet he does eventually catch on. If he seems comfortable in the crate, I would go ahead and use that. I do think its going to take him awhile..So tell your hubby to just continue to be consistent, and work on the 'schedule' and I'll bet he will get it, but it may just take him a little longer to adjust. Remember his whole LIFE has just been uprooted and changed, so I bet he is still just trying to figure it all out.

He needs a defined area. And is he being walked or exercise regularly? Take him to the same spot in the yard to play. ( so he has some familiarity.)

ShihtzuBeauty

I just want to add that you can't use the crate as "punishment" he's not going to get it. Are you wanting to crate him while you're unable to watch him? Does he have run of the house now? I always used baby gates w/mine in the kitchen 'til they were more trustworthy. As far as the piddle pads his case is a little different you haven't had him since he was a baby mine use the pads and they will go outdoors. Whichever you choose to do you have to be consistant w/it and don't flip flop it just confuses them.

We've been walking him on long walks 3-4 times a day. He has shown that he knows to poo/pee outside (usually by the same spots). But he is still pooping indoors when we go to work and today we had this pee incident (like i said, hoping b/c it was just that he didn't get his AM pee on his shortened walk due to heavy rain).

Should i just resign myself to pickin up poo from the carpet for the next few weeks?

Or is there something else i can put on the floor to make pick up easier??? *****

Will wee wee pads encourage him to stop outside and continue pooping inside? (He's gated in his own bedroom)

I am trying not to crate for training anti poop reasons but i don't know what to do anymore ;(

ALso concerned when the bad winter weather comes. He should be able to go in the backyard but he stopped doing that a week ago :blush-anim-cl: I never heard of having to walk your dog a a mile a day just to get him to poop lol...

thanks!!!

I think that he feels nervous when he leaves so if he sleeps in a crate at night, ie the safe zone, then I would use it when you go work.

Carolina Girl

I too have an older rescue dog. (not a puppy) We had some potty training issues at first. I would take him out and he would not do it at all! Finally I bought some wee pads. As soon as I put one down, he went straight to it and peed on it! I think at his first home he possibly used these. Who knows what happened in his former life!

Thanks

I'm concerned if i put wee pads down he won't learn to ONLY go outside or he'll stop going outside...

we don't have a crate for him. he sleeps in his room on his bed... hopefully he continues doing that since he peed on it today.

thoughts??

thanks!!!

Carolina Girl

I also do not crate mine. I put a wee pad in the laundry room along with his bed. I have a gate put up. At first he would pee or poop on the pad a few times while I was at work. When I would come home, I would take him out to do his business. He finally has the concept of using it outside. He very rarely uses his pad anymore. Maybe a couple times a week. I will take the pad away one day.

I also did not want to confuse Ozzy. But as soon as I put the wee pad down for the first time and he went straight to it, I realized that he may have used those in his first home. So, I decided to use them and then gradually take them away.

Also, I started out leaving Ozzy in the kitchen with a gate. When I switched him to the smaller room (laundry room) he had a lot less accidents.

I know how you feel. It is so frustrating to come home after working all day to pee and poop. My Ozzy would walk in it and there would be smears and foot prints everywhere. Yuck! Don't give up!

If they told you he was crate trained when you brought him home, then He may be confused by all of the 'new space' he is left with..You can get a pretty cheap crate at petsedge, I got one for Sawyer for $40, and its the perfect size..He might do a lot better in his crate, because its his den, and he feels comfortable, and will know to 'hold it'.

When he does do the right thing outside, give him a treat right away and praise and praise, I think he needs some more time. I'd also confine him at home, but not is a crate for the whole day.