Is Too Much Space Bad?

Hi

I copied this from an online article:

4Limit their space. Giving a dog too much space is not being nice, it overwhelms them. Some people crate train their dogs but personally I never crate my dog for over an hour. If I am going to be gone long, I leave my dog in a small room -suited to the size of the dog and remove all possible chew temptations.

Is this really true? I posted a related topic on here an hour ago regarding our adopted 3 yr old male who FREAKS out when we leave him in a small gated room all day. Poops/pees all over the rug.

He's fine when he's ungated in the living room however i haven't tested it out yet during a typical work day.

Thoughts???? Would leaving him ungated relieve him of his anxiety issues?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carolina Girl

We tried our rescue baby in a crate. He totally freaked out! He peed and pooped instantly. I truly believe that something happened in his past that caused him to be fearful of confined spaces.

With a puppy, I take it one room at a time- to claim the room as part of the pack. This takes time, and you don't advance until they understand what they know. The dog has to take it as the pack area. That holds for a rescue too as well.

Edited by borzoimom

Both Payslee & Sawyer stay in a crate if I'm going to be gone 1-4 hours..anything longer than that and I put them in the Kitchen with a baby gate..they seem to be fine in both places. They will actually go in their crates on their own sometimes to take a nap..However, Pandora, my other tzu HATED the crate and would ram her head into the gate, sweat profusely, and act insane..so I think, just like with people, some tzu's might be claustrophobic..You just have to do whats best for the dog, but they will let you know.. :blush-anim-cl: