Where not to chew...

mr.coffee

I noticed the other day that Harley had chewed on a few things he shouldn't. He's got chew stuff of his own, of a few different varieties at that...so it's a matter of educating him, redirecting...yep.

Well, little thick-headed boy just doesn't get it. So last resort it is, off to the store. I really hate to do this, but we went and found this stuff, Fooey or something like that. It looked like the most natural of the chewing deterrents on the shelf. We'll see how it works out. It contains grapefruit skin extracts? Pretty raunchy.

Just out of curiosity, and I know I'm gonna get laughed at for this one, I decided to see just how awful this stuff is. There was an open bottle there, I had a guitar pick in my pocket - something I compulsively chew on. I sprayed it, got just the tiniest droplet on the edge, wiped it off on my jeans then licked it. :bdaycake: BIG mistake. I'm tellin' ya, if Harley chews through that, he's made of sterner stuff than I. Yes, Suzi, you did the easy taste test with the Sojos. :wish:

I think he tried to chew one of the spots I treated, 'cuz he gave me kisses later, and afterward when I licked my lips I could taste it. :zzz: I've been trying to secretly watch him, and I haven't seen him chew on any of those spots today. Hopefully one time around will solve it.

-m

ShihtzuBeauty

Keep this thread updated please. JoJo LOVES to chew on wood still and he'll be 4 in Feb. I've tried just about everythin w/no luck. :)

Carolina Girl

Unfortunately with Ozzy we've resorted to the bitter apple spray. He has chewed up the framing around the windows, the moulding around the floors, the edging of the stairs, if it's wood-he chews it. This is the only thing that has worked for us. I haven't seen him chew on wood for a couple of weeks now!

TheShihtzuation

I LOL'd so hard at you tasting it on your guitar pick. haha

Yes, please keep us updated on how it works!

FairyTail Josette

Just out of curiosity, and I know I'm gonna get laughed at for this one, I decided to see just how awful this stuff is. There was an open bottle there, I had a guitar pick in my pocket - something I compulsively chew on. I sprayed it, got just the tiniest droplet on the edge, wiped it off on my jeans then licked it. :) BIG mistake. I'm tellin' ya, if Harley chews through that, he's made of sterner stuff than I. Yes, Suzi, you did the easy taste test with the Sojos. :D

-m

I'm rubbing off on you. :dede: Hey, I would have tried it, too. We have to "test" it for the babies, you know. ;)

I hope it does help. Keep us posted. :)

( Uh Mike- remember my quote? - When a puppy has chewed up something or done something its not supposed too- take a large newspaper, roll it up, tie on each end with a rubber band- and then smack yourself on the head- ya should have been watching the puppy..' ) LOL

I sprayed some of that stuff on a wood stool about 6 months ago.. Nope, those babies haven't touched it since then..It really must be foul..but not as foul as TRIPE SMELL!! But if we rubbed that on the wood they would chew forever!! blech! You know Mike..If you want to be really daring.. You could try the Tripe and let us know how it goes! ;) :dede:

CrazyTzuLady

;) omg that is funny!

I had to use the bitter yuck when Delila was a puppy because she chewed up the leg of my living room stand.........repeatedly. :dede: It did the trick she hasn't chewed anything in a very long time now. :)

mr.coffee

Well, it's good to hear others have had some success with this sort of thing. I really was hesitant, but I can't have him destroying stuff. LOL about the newspaper...unfortunately, I don't get the paper. :) I think I'll pass on the tripe.

The first couple days seem to've been successful, I suspect the material in question is a major factor though. One place he was chewing was the wood frame of the baby gate. Sprayed & wiped it down, no problem. The windowsill with it's painted surface, on the other hand, I don't think the spray lasts, I think it's rubbing off on his coat when he looks out the window. :ohyeah: I caught him nibbling this morning. I guess repeated applications are gonna be necessary until he figures it out.

-m

Awe, come on Mike, someone has to taste the tripe....why on earth do the pups love the stuff so much...gotta be a secret in that can.

Well, we did the bitter yuck and it worked so so....had to reapply EVERY day and I think he actually just outgrew the problem.....BUT, after he got stung by bees this summer, he began to chew on his front leg and lick it all the time....so it says on the bottle it is safe to put ON the dog....I did that and little bugger.....didn't stop him at all....don't know why, but it was as if I hadn't put anything on him at all....any you are right, the stuff is NASTY....I got a bit on my finger a couple of times after spraying and ACCIDENTALLY got it on my lips and OMG.....I thought the YUCK taste would never go away.

GizmoHappyKitty

When my were pups I used a cayenne pepper paste with great success (I also have used it on just about every batch of pups to keep them from chewing on the plastic puppy litterbox). I just get a small dish and put some cayenne pepper in it and add a little bit of water until it makes like a paste, I then either apply it with a small paint brush or my finger. OMG it is soooooo funny the first time one of the pups tries to bite where the cayenne is and then just suddenly stops, shakes their head and runs to the water dish.

Michele and the pups