Canine Good Neighbour

luvmybabies

Hi Everyone!

I'm really pumped tonight. We attended a dog show in Brandon, Manitoba which was put on by one of the clubs I belong to. They had asked me if they could use my Golden for one of the tests in the CGN Test where you and your dog approach another handler who has a dog and you stop and shake hands and converse a bit and then move on. The dog being tested is not supposed to show any more than mild interest in the tester's dog. Jazz is very very friendly. She lives to be a big cuddle worm and is friendly to everyone and all dogs so she is perfect for this. She's 8 now so she has settled down some and is very calm for this test. Anyway......I thought I'd try my baby, Connor, to see if he could pass the Test. I've been taking him to classes since he was 12 weeks old and now he is one day shy of 8 months. He was way younger than the other dogs and he aced the test easily. His kennel name is TzuVilla's Dreams Do Come True. My breeder gave me Connor at a very good price on the condition I would train and compete in obedience and rally-o. Tonight I phoned her and told her we were on our way to having our dreams come true! Just thought I'd share my excitement with you. A lot of people always say that Shih Tzus are stubborn and hard to train. This is the 2nd one I've trained for CKC titles and I find them very smart.

Joyce

Joyce, that is wonderful news. Sounds like you have come a long way. I will be interested to hear Connor's progress and he grows.

I am in the process of doing all the research and pretesting for Josie to become a pet therapy dog and this is one of the test items I am rather nervous about cause she too loves to go see and sniff all new dogs....that is, unless they are big and they approach her first, then she can get testy with them....one day a pit bull puppy came up to her to play and she snarled at him....and she did it again recently with a lab puppy....seems it us when they come up fast, more in a play mode and it seems to startle her....OR if they come and jump on me she will do the same....so we have some work to do before we test.

So, please keep us posted on his training progress....good boy Connor.

AgilityTzuCrew

Congrats! I know your dog's breeder - very nice lady. (Two of my Shih Tzu are from Canada...different breeder, though.)

Have to be creative, patient and consistent with training a Shih Tzu.

Barb

and the Shih Tzu crew:

UCD Leapin Louie the Lionhearted CD RA OA MXJ OAC OJC TN-O NCC WV-N TG-N HP-N TBAD TG3 CGC

UCD UAGI Seafal Anna Banana RA NA OAJ OAP AJP TAM TMAG CGC TDInc.

TACH Seafal Meant to Be RN OA AXJ CGC TDInc.

Congratulations! I'm guessing the CGN for the CKC is much the same thing as the CGC for AKC? A couple of my Poms got their CGCs "back in the day" and it was a lot of fun.

luvmybabies

Thanks for all your kind words about Connor. Cathy, if you want to get your baby through that part of the test, practice first of all with friends who have a familiar dog. Remember you have your dog, then you, then the other handler and then the other dog in the test. The other handler will sit their dog and keep it under control so you won't have that dog trying to pick a fight or anything. All it entails is the other team approach you (as if out for a walk), then they stop and sit their dog as do you and then you shake hands and talk a bit and then continue on your way. Everyone has problems with different exercises. For the crowd with distractions last night they had someone with a big floor broom pushing it around. As soon as my friend saw that she said she'd fail as her dog goes bananas whenever she gets out the broom or vacuum. Sure enough her dog did make a big fuss and failed. It was just the luck of the draw as to what they would use for distractions. One other test I took had someone in a wheelchair for a distraction and another of my friend's dog failed because he had issues with that! The thing I was scared of was when the tester examines your dog all over and then grooms them. Other testers only lightly brush them but this tester seemed to almost do a full groom!! I guess Connor was laid back enough because it was so late in the evening and he did just fine.

Barb, all I can say is WOW. I don't even know what some of those titles are. Are a lot of them Agility as I see you have one of your baby's doing the weave poles in your picture? I'll have to mention to Nomie that you are on this forum!

Pam, yes the AKC title is Canine Good Citizen and the Canadian one is Canine Good Neighbour. The first one of these tests was a few years ago and I tested my oldest malt and got a CGC. Don't know why that was offered in a Canadian show but it was. Last year I decided to go for the Canadian title too so she has both.

Joyce

luvmybabies

Barb, I told Nomie that you said you probably know her. She thinks you live in the south and she had dinner with you one night? She says you are really into agility and obedience. Does this sound right? Joyce

AgilityTzuCrew

Hi Joyce! Yes, I did go out to dinner with Nomie at a specialty one year. I'm from Illinois - "the south" to you ;-)

The doggie in my picture is Teddy - registered name is Seafal Meant to Be. In the photo, he's doing the weave poles at a Shih Tzu national specialty in Atlanta, GA - that was last year. He got a high in trial for agility that day. I do mostly agility with my dogs, but I do some obedience and rally obedience also.

You should consider taking a trip to the ASTC national specialty sometime. We had an exhibitor from Canada last year who competed in agility, obedience, and rally obedience. We have two days of agility and one day of obedience and rally. It's so much fun! The 2010 show will be in St. Louis, MO and 2011 will be in Atlanta, GA.

Barb

Wicket's mom

:hideingbhindcurtian: Connor! What a good boy. I agree with you that shih tzu are very smart. We haven't done anything at the same level you have, but we did a basic obedience training course with Wicket and he was the top student in his class. I have also found that when I train my babies to do a new trick, Wicket is normally the first one to pick it up :)

I'm sure you will have more stories to share about Connor and the rest of your crew, looking forward to hearing them and hopefully we get to see some pics and maybe even videos!

Hi Joyce! Yes, I did go out to dinner with Nomie at a specialty one year. I'm from Illinois - "the south" to you ;-)

The doggie in my picture is Teddy - registered name is Seafal Meant to Be. In the photo, he's doing the weave poles at a Shih Tzu national specialty in Atlanta, GA - that was last year. He got a high in trial for agility that day. I do mostly agility with my dogs, but I do some obedience and rally obedience also.

You should consider taking a trip to the ASTC national specialty sometime. We had an exhibitor from Canada last year who competed in agility, obedience, and rally obedience. We have two days of agility and one day of obedience and rally. It's so much fun! The 2010 show will be in St. Louis, MO and 2011 will be in Atlanta, GA.

Barb

Barb! I'll be attending the national in May 2010 and we will have to make plans to meet then. (I'll be the old redhead who looks incredibly tired...). I adore watching the obedience and agility dogs and wish I had the energy any more to try training for either one, lol.

edited for: grammar!

Edited by Luna
AgilityTzuCrew

Barb! I'll be attending the national in May 2010 and we will have to make plans to meet then. (I'll be the old redhead who looks incredibly tired...). I adore watching the obedience and agility dogs and wish I had the energy any more to try training for either one, lol.

edited for: grammar!

Yes...that sounds great! I am looking forward to it! Will this be your first national?