How to Tame a Holy Terror

As that is what KC calls him....but she hasn't seen him in action. I will have to brag first, before I tell his "dark side".

I cannot believe it, but THREE times now he has gone TO the door and kinda did a whine, cry yelp and danced in a circle while running to me.....I was in shock every time when I put his coat on, took him outside and he POO'D EVERY time. It is just too good to even think he knows what he is doing, but dang, it is just too cool. Plus, EVERY time I have taken him outside he potties. Such a good boy he is.....do you think he has a "clue" that he is "letting me know" he has to go out? Wow !!!

And, the past three nights he has slept from 11:00 to 7:45 or so.....yippee!!

OK, now on to the "dark side".....this too, I will try to capture on video for you....but he LOVES to play with Josie and Maddy and both are being pretty darn good for the most part, but I now realize that when Josie gets snappy with him, it is when he is barking....and his bark is just SHIRL and constant....it annoys her so much....she any Maddy don't bark hardly ever (well Josie barks at the TV and hers is none to quiet when she does that), and it drives them crazy, never mind us....we have to pause the TV, cause there is NO hearing it when he does that.

So, do any of you have suggestions on how to get him to stop barking or at least use his INDOOR voice...LOL??? We are clapping our hands loudly and shushing him, but that doesn't work....I don't want to tell him NO, cause he is just wanting to play....so, WHAT WOULD VICTORIA TELL ME????

Help, the MONSTER has been unleased !!!

Edited by tzuhouse
kcsheperd

Awwww Cathy..Not that sweet biscuit!! Remember about this time a year ago when I was writing about Naughty wild, flailing, Payslee and you were sitting quietly in your house thinking, 'Boy I sure did luck out with my calm, non-barking, sweet Josie & Maddy".. Well now YOU Are HERE..lol. As I've mentioned to you, Payslee is a barker too, and I've read about what to do, and its just so HARD to do it every single time they bark. From what I've read, Barking is self-rewarding, so "Yelling" or barking back to them with our voice is also rewarding to them, because they are getting what they are after.....attention.

The one thing that does work with Pays, (and I should be doing it MORE to really enforce it) is if I hear her outside barking, and I holler for her to come to me, and I reward her..then she stops. Any time I ask Payslee to "watch me" 98% of the time she will stop what she's doing (Including barking) So I will just have to be more dilligent in having treats ON HAND so that I constantly reward her for stopping what she is doing (barking) and looking at me and being quiet. I know it will work with her, its just my fault for not having the treats on hand to reward the behavior I want, as opposed to the one I don't.

chloechanel'smommy

I was waiting to see what the response to this was going to be. Chloe just started barking for no reason and it is starting to drive us crazy!!! I'm going to have to try this on her.

Miley's a barker! And My boyfriend HATES it! (of course we're long distance so he doesnt have to hear it but twice a month usually.)

But what seems to be doing well with her (of course shes still a pup herself but shes getting it) is in a calm voice tell her no, come here(which she still doesnt get), and things along those lines.

Then when she comes to me and stops barking, i praise her!

Emma is a barker too & it really can drive you nuts! She barks when she is hungry, when she wants a treat, when she sees a shadow on the ceiling (this REALLY drives me crazy), squirrels, OMG!!! Goes balistic!!! I have tried EVERYTHING to get her to stop, but what is working the best & it may be the wrong thing to do, but it's starting to work, is putting her in a time-out in the bathroom. Even if it's for 30 seconds! She is no longer part of the pack & believe me, she wants to be with the pack! The hard part of this is to catch her.....she knows she is in trouble, even when we don't say a word to her & will run. So, you get the picture? This can also turn into a 3 ring circus! grrrrrrrrrrr................ I have also tried the leave it command with treat rewarding when she would start barking at something, but she figured that all she had to do was bark & she would get a treat soon! Stinker!

So.....wish I had some real wisdom to give you Cathy, but nope.....but GOOD LUCK! Seems like a lot of us are in the same boat! But I'm willing to try ANYYYYTHING!!!

ok, here he is in action....I am telling you, he is the sweetest most cuddly calm little guy, UNTIL he wants to play....then he goes NUTS.

What can I do to calm him. I don't want to put him in his kennel cause it is not for punishment, plus I don't want to punish him for wanting to play. I have been letting it go for a bit, then go pick him up and calm him. That lasts awhile, til he is ready to go again....H E L P ! ! ! !

Awww, he just wants to play & be a kid mom! He's such a doll! The good news........in about a years time, this will just be a fading memory!!! ROFL!!! Hang in there, Cathy....hang in there!

CrazyTzuLady

Awww, he just wants to play & be a kid mom! He's such a doll! The good news........in about a years time, this will just be a fading memory!!! ROFL!!! Hang in there, Cathy....hang in there!

I agree with Nancy. I think he is just playing and will grow out of the worst of it. He is so stinkin cute!!! :birthday_toast:

jakes mommy

awwww! is it bad that the video just encourages me to get another tzu? I love that boundless energy in their first few months while they are a small ball of fluff

Haha that is exactly how Bella is Cathy. She simply loves to play. She was flying around the room earlier barking and growling at Gizmo :baby:

I'm sure he will calm down as he grows, as I'm hoping Bella will LOL

Rudy is a joy to watch, I love watching puppies play. He is a sweetheart :birthday_toast:

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL thats the Cutest thing Ever!!! :hug: He just wants to play mama.

kcsheperd

Cathy, I agree with the others..You are just going to have to ride this one out. Payslee CANNOT play without barking. Sawyer & Rally will run through the house playing, and Payslee runs behind them barking the whole time. She simply can't play 'quietly' and I don't think she ever will. I don't punish her for 'play barking' I only ask her to stop the barking if she is fixated on something on tv, outside, or someone at the door, because I'm like you..If they are playing, its playing, and I don't want to be the ruiner that tells her she can't play anymore..so I just let her run wild, and eventually she stops..but yeah, she's a year old now, and been that way since birth, so you're in for quite a ride for the next few months..lol..

Rudy's behavior is so cute, begging the other dogs to play. His barking will very likely decrease as he matures. What a precious video!

ShihNanigans

Dark side? Not little Rudy! OMG, how cute is he?

I just watched your video with Sullivan on my lap and he really wanted to play with Rudy. His head was tipping from side to side with every bark, and he was looking back and forth from the screen to the speaker. He knew Rudy was asking to play, and was wanting him to jump into our family room!

I'm with the others, he will outgrow that puppy stuff in time. Although I've never tried it, I have heard that the best way to stop dogs from barking is to teach them to "speak," or bark on command. I guess if they learn when they are supposed to bark, they figure out when not to. Something to keep in mind if it continues.

Thanks for your encouragement everybody...it can be ear piercing for sure...he is just soooo full of energy. I know the others did too, but I have gone back and looked at videos and neither of them were THAT crazy....LOL I am sure having the other two dogs around prompts him even more.

He does have "some" tamer moments.

Momma, can you believe that noise comes from "ME"??? Maybe if I bury my mouth I can be quiet !!! :dede:

IMG_1545.jpg

We bond while we sleep...

IMG_1515.jpg

CrazyTzuLady

Aww those last 2 pics are precious!!! :dede:

Aww Cathy, look at his sweet little face. I just want to hug him!! :wish: I love the pic of them all sleeping together too!

tzukeeper

What an adorable monster! I'm joking...but he does remind me of my boy Munky. His nickname around here is "Munky Monster". It's all about fun and you sure do have your hands full of fun with that little guy. He is adorable....just love him momma!!

tzu_delight

Awww...Cathy they are sooo cute! :bdaycake: I think that video is sooo cute!

• 3 weeks later...
mr.coffee

LOL! I can't believe I missed out on this! Little Rudylicious is so funny, it's great the way he circles and barks, goes into a bow, then when Josie steps up and says QUIT IT he kinda backs down, then goes right back to circling and barking!

Yeah, I can imagine it gets tiring, sorta like when Harley gets the zoomies just as we're settling in to watch a movie...but the quiet times more than make up for it, don't they? I love the picture of all three zonked out together! You can bet I'll be showing this thread to Shannon, make her want another one! (shhhh, don't tell!)

-m

LOL! I can't believe I missed out on this! Little Rudylicious is so funny, it's great the way he circles and barks, goes into a bow, then when Josie steps up and says QUIT IT he kinda backs down, then goes right back to circling and barking!

Yeah, I can imagine it gets tiring, sorta like when Harley gets the zoomies just as we're settling in to watch a movie...but the quiet times more than make up for it, don't they? I love the picture of all three zonked out together! You can bet I'll be showing this thread to Shannon, make her want another one! (shhhh, don't tell!)

-m

Oh Mike, new puppies are so fun. Yea, he is a little hellion sometimes, but he is also a little lover boy. He tucks under my chin and actually coos at me. He just needs to lower the decibels of his barking....that and maybe sleep an hour or so later in the am.....I'm getting payback on that tho, cause my other two sleep soooo late....well they DID, now they want to be up too since Rudy is.

Rudy is a doll baby!!! :) Omg, your video and pics make me think I need a houseful too! Oliver got really excited when I started playing the video and had to get up in my lap to watch. He looked up at me like, where's my little brother!

loewenthal.anna

Oh man, I can't help but swoon over that video, even though he's being "naughty"! He's SOOO CUUUUUTE!!!

What works for us with barking (and whining, which is our big issue with Money man) is to ask him to do something. Since he only really knows "kissy" and "sit" it's one of those two. He get's a treat when he does it and generally that's enough of a distraction to make him "forget" what he was so excited about.

Lolly barks in our new home because the ******* upstairs insists on playing FETCH with his bulldog IN the house (at 9am and 10pm, no less!) but she's very good about the "quiet" command. Sometimes you have to hard-stare at her for her to know you mean business and it needs to be done in a calm, firm voice otherwise she just gets that much more excited. I guess that's not terribly helpful except to give you hope that these guys can indeed learn that command :)