day 1 crate training

day 1 was GREAT...NO accidents AT ALL...16 times outside...5 pees 2 poops and all outside

1 hour play time around 1:30 and back in and at 4 his times out got longer and hes starting to signal to go out...unbelievable on the first day

he started out a little depressed and not eating or drinking but that stopped later in the day...gonna keep it going another 3-4 days the same way...keeping a log each time out so i can see any changes in times going...*fingers crissed*

Awesome, so, you would take him out, come in and play time about an hour, then in the crate for a couple more hours, then outside, and then repeat????

no, take him out put him back and repeat every hour (starting at around 5:45am)...then around 1:30ish let him play with the kids (and me) for a lil over an hour AFTER taking him out again...then after 4pm his time out of the crate increased lil by lil til he started giving me signs that he needed to go and back in for the night...hopefully this takes quick this way...i didnt like seeing him 'depressed' during lockdown...he barely ate or drank in the AM and i had his bowls in the pen (i have an 8 panel 24"x24" pen around his cage and his bed outside the cage so he has room to move)

Thanks

Hum, I need to go back to the crate too....he is not gonna like it, but it is a must now. However, we have had a potty pad down since the day we brought him home and he used it for the first time TODAY....I don't really want that, I want outside, BUT, it is better than the floor or carpet. But, you are right, the crate is the very best way. That is what I did with Maddy and he was my MOST successful thus far (1 out of 2 isn't bad....no result on #3 yet...LOL).

day 2 of crate training with toby and so far so good NO accidents and hes letting me know when he needs to go out by giving a lil bark and sitting up...his out of crate time increases every time he does that (unless he has an accident then its back to an hour out for playtime not including walks around the block)...soon we wont need the crate cept for when we leave him alone and bed...KNOCK ON WOOD!!! he is responding to his name, sits, comes and stops when told...cant believe hes only 14 weeks old and catching on this fast...me thinks someone fudged his birthdate on his purebread papers lol

Edited by johnnyc
Wicket's mom

Wow, Toby is catching on so fast! What a smart boy, and he's already learning basic commands too; very impressive.

so after 1 week of crate training, me thinks Toby has got it...only 2 accidents, one of which the mrs caught it mid plop and got a paper towel under him for an easy clean up...he now sits in front of us, we ask "you need to go out?" and he lets out a lil bark, we take him outside and hell go...now just to keep it going *fingers crossed*

Carolina Girl

How great is that? I'm jealous as well. My poor Ozzy is still not potty trained, neither is Daisy. Of course, they both came to me past the puppy stage. Their habits are pretty hard to break. My next dog will for sure be a baby, so that I can do all of this right!

Congratulations on your baby!

How great is that? I'm jealous as well. My poor Ozzy is still not potty trained, neither is Daisy. Of course, they both came to me past the puppy stage. Their habits are pretty hard to break. My next dog will for sure be a baby, so that I can do all of this right!

Congratulations on your baby!

Good luck when the time comes. It can be the MOST challenging part of owning a puppy. Josie was just the WORST....she would go out and pace and circle and do everything but stand on her head before she would go...the most frustrating of my three for sure. I took her out EVERY 15-20 minutes til she would finally go..sometimes that would be over the course of an hour....she just didn't get WHY she was out there....so big deal, what's GRASS....."no better than carpet, mom"..... It is no wonder I waited so long to get another....Maddy was a piece of cake, he just "got it" and EVERY time I took him out he would go, even if only a drop. Sure, he had some accidents and I had days that I feared another Josie, but he trained very quickly. Rudy is proving to be just like Maddy. EVERY time we go out he potties. He just knows to "go" out there. We haven't had an accident in a week now (**crossing fingers**). But, I think everyone will agree that no matter how "easy" or "hard" they are to train, it is still the most frustrating part....just trying to communicate what is expected. Oh and with Josie, we did the pee-pee happy dance and the treats and all....Maddy and Rudy don't associate "going" with "treating".....they are rewarded with "relief" I guess. I am sure not suggesting to NOT treat, I am just saying they never expected treats.

Sooooo, WHEN are we getting a playmate for Ozzy mom????

Excellent! Sounds like you are doing amazing!

• 1 month later...

we are now housebroken! (about 3 weeks now) toby now spends the night with free reign of the living room, no confinement to the crate/pen...waits for me to get dressed in the AM (anywhere from 6 to 8am depending on if the mrs is working that day or not) to take him out and LETS LOOSE when we get out...i can leave the house for an hour or 2 letting him have reign over the living room and kitchen and come home to nothing to clean up AND hes all good when meeting neighborhood dogs...no barking no aggression nothing problematic at all *pats self on back* (and tobys too) lol...we REALLY lucked out with toby

and to add, he turned 5 months on march 7th

John that sounds like what I do with Madison and she has done really well no accidents in the crate or he the house since we started the training so ya crate training is the Bomb!!

It does help to have three older brothers to help her out as she follows them out side every morning,noon and night and then she goes out by her little self several time a day, with me of course.

Keep up the great job!!

Hey John, we are right there with you...Rudy is 5 1/2 months and I started the crate training along with you cause I had gotten a little lax and lo and behold....we too are trained. Rudy goes to the door and either "moans" or barks to let me know it is time to go out (he has been doing that now for almost a month)....but most of the time, he doesn't go any more often than the older dogs....in fact the middle one is my pest to want out....he many times goes out along to sprinkle the trees....

So thanks for getting me back on track...I DOES work...

hell usually sit there facing the doorway of the LR looking back and forth between me and the door, i say 'you wanna go out' a couple of times and hell tilt his head then bark and run for the door...funny to watch but cruel if he really has to go lol