I can not believe how clever Jazz is She goes to the door sometimes to go out and when i say 'Jazz come' she comes straight away no matter what she's doing, I have been rewarding her with cornflakes :wiggle2: she loves them.She is only 10 weeks old I know she will probally change but I am enjoying it while I can. Did your Shih tzu's temperament change or do you think she will keep being good.

loewenthal.anna

I'm so glad you're having a good experience with housebreaking your girl so far!!!! That's amazing :wiggle2:

I should add this though:

RARELY do I equate any of my dogs' temperament or personality with "being good" , LOL!

I have found the Shih-Tzu to be unbelievably smart, and quick to learn things that benefit them (like how to ask to potty so that they get cornflakes. . . just wait, if she's anything like mine she'll start "phantom peeing" to get treats!), but I would never really consider them an "obedient" breed. I prefer to try to find a way to make it look like it's in THEIR best interest to do what I want, things go more smoothly :)

As far as temperament is concerned I have never met a more doting breed. They LOVE their people, they need their people, they want for any attention from ANY people, most of the time. And by and large they don't intend to do harm, they're just terribly selfish and want everything right away, be that the yogurt on the table, or a belly rub the moment you get home, haha!

mr.coffee

I'm so glad you're having a good experience with housebreaking your girl so far!!!! That's amazing :blush-anim-cl:

I should add this though:

RARELY do I equate any of my dogs' temperament or personality with "being good" , LOL!

I have found the Shih-Tzu to be unbelievably smart, and quick to learn things that benefit them (like how to ask to potty so that they get cornflakes. . . just wait, if she's anything like mine she'll start "phantom peeing" to get treats!), but I would never really consider them an "obedient" breed. I prefer to try to find a way to make it look like it's in THEIR best interest to do what I want, things go more smoothly :blush-anim-cl:

As far as temperament is concerned I have never met a more doting breed. They LOVE their people, they need their people, they want for any attention from ANY people, most of the time. And by and large they don't intend to do harm, they're just terribly selfish and want everything right away, be that the yogurt on the table, or a belly rub the moment you get home, haha!

:blush-anim-cl: I wonder sometimes if mine doesn't do the "phantom pee" just 'cuz he likes to roam the yard with his nose to the ground, chase anything that moves and carry leaves around...I haven't done treats for potty training in ages, it was always more focused on praise, now there's still a "Good boy!" but he hears that all day long. And it's hard to be sure, he squats and it's not like I'm gonna get down there and check, right?

Not trying to threadjack too badly here, but on the "obedient" note, that makes me think of one of Harley's issues. He's a 'good' doggeh in lots of ways, but he has his moments. Much like you describe, he 'knows' lots of commands, but only listens when he wants to. I take him in the yard on-leash, and he will heel like a pro. Two steps out the front door and it's a whole new game. Come? Sure, if I've got something he wants. Stay? Maybe...Drop it and Leave it he's pretty good about. I've been working on "look at me!" and "touch" just to see where I can go with no clicks or treats, and getting fairly consistent results but I'd like to see the Come, Stay and Heel work a little better away from the yard.

Anyway, yeah, you've hit that nail pretty squarely on the head. :)

-m

Thanks for your replies. I am not rewarding her to go outside to potty just to get her to come and sit before she gets her meals but her reward is her meal of course I think the breeder I got her off must of done quite a bit of training because she has always sat before she get her meals.

I'd say that is pretty good to sit before the meal. That is probably one of the first things I ever train...sit first and that moves to sit for your dinner. I have three and I will NOT have a ruckus before I put the food down. All three have their "spot" in the kitchen, Josie lays on her bed while I prepare the food and the other two SIT and watch (well after they get to the kitchen...on the way, they dance and Rudy does cartwheels and lands on his head quite often)....then I vary who gets their plate first and as I walk to that dogs spot the others run to their spot and sit and wait....NO food unless they the butt is ON the floor....

I have let a lot of things go by without taking action, but this one I am very firm on....

Corn Flakes huh? I used cherrios with Josie and she now hates them....LOL She was my hardest to house train and still will have an accident once in a blue moon, but the boys....funny, they ALWAYS went EVERY time I took/take them out and I never used treats at all, I just praised them. I know it is not a girl/boy issue, but just their make up I guess. But, my boys were soooo much easier. Rudy has been trained since he was 4 months (really, to where HE goes to the door and barks to be let out) and Maddy was pretty darn consistent by 5-6 months, but Josie closer to a year.

Good luck....keep those corn flakes commin...LOL