Hi, our Koko is 6 years old & she still gets so excited when we have visitors. As soon as she hears the doorbell

she goes wild & barks & barks & jumps on our visitors. She even does that with family members who visit

often. We try to ignore her but it doesn't help. She only calms down after our guests have been with us for

about 10 minutes. We try to socialize her as much as possible. We take her walking every day & if we have

shopping to do, she also comes with us shopping. Any suggestions anyone?

OMG Tina, I have this SAME problem.....and now they are teaching little Rudy to do the same....what I have been trying lately (and seems to be working) is when I know someone is coming, just prior to the arrival, I put a short leash on each dog...then when the guests come in, I step on the leash close enough that the dog cannot jump at all, or barely move for that matter, I step on it about a foot from the collar. We ALL ignore the dogs TOTALLY and they eventually calm on their own. Once they do, I release them and continue to ALL ignore them. If they try to jump up, I reattach the leash and repeat until they remain calm once released. It seems to be working and the calm much faster and I haven't had to repeat on one of them at all, the other I have had to repeat once or twice and that is it....hope that helps.

My boyfriends Yorkie Sebastian is the same way. I see him 2 or 3 times a week and whenever I see him, he runs and jumps on my legs. One time, he was so glad to see me I was on the floor watching TV and Allan (my boyfriend) let him out of his crate and he charged at me, jumped in my lap, started nibbling my fingers, and tries to lick me in the face. I try to calm him down, rub his tummy, talk to him etc, but he is just so excited. He then went behind me and the next thing I knew he was on my back. When we take him places, especially drive through, fast food restaurants, when the person asks can she take our order from the speaker, he jumps up, looks at the speaker and starts wagging his tail. And when we drive through to get our food and he sees the person he gets so excited. They will say, that's a cute Yorkie, and start talking to him and he jumps out of my lap into Allan's (who is driving) and tries to climb out the window to get to the person. He loves people and he loves to be talked to. He is one silly Yorkie. :P

You can try instructing your visitors to ignore the dog totally until the dog calms down. No looking, no touching, no kind of acknowledgement of the dog at all. Later, sure, but the dog needs toknow that all this goofy behavior is not going to work. It may take a while, and you might need to combine it with the stepped-on leash. It's easier with the little dogs--harder to ignore a Great Dane or pit bull jumping madly around the visitors!