Is Rudy showing dominance?

I have two sons, ages 14 and 10 (11 next month). Rudy, who is 5 months old now, will growl at my youngest son if he tries to pick him up while Rudy is sleeping. I don't think Rudy has ever done this to anyone else except my younger son. Is this Rudy's way of showing dominance to him? I've told my son that the second he hears Rudy growl at him, to firmly yell No to him.

Well, I have to say first of all....the old saying..."let a sleeping dog lie"....

Having said that, I HEVER pick up a sleeping dog....even tho NONE of mine have ever been a concern, BUT, I have heard too many stories about dogs bitting people out of a dead sleep...just from being startled.

So, I would suggest if you son wants to pick up Rudy while he is sleeping, he might want to make some noise first or say his name, or even gently touch him, but not just flat pick him up without warning.

That is just my opinion, but hope it might make some sense...it does at least to me..LOL

Hamilton does the same thing to my kids, I have tried to teach them to leave him alone when he's sleeping. It would make me mad too if they were trying to pick me up when I was sleeping. Good luck.

I guess I should've added that Rudy has growled at him when he was awake and my son goes to pick him up too. As for him sleeping, Rudy likes to lay under my recliner when it's open, so I have to ask my son to move him so I can lower the recliner. But it really doesn't matter if Rudy is asleep or just laying down, he will still growl at him.

Dakotah's momma

A lady at Puppy Party has the same thing with one of her children and the puppy. She said the puppy/dog is challenging the weakest member of the pack so to speak. She did say tho it is something that needs to be dealt with now instead of waiting til it got worse. Now if you ask me being new to have a puppy I would not know if it is right or not. I do know she is good and trains along the lines of Cesar Milan.

Better go.