Ming Ming and Suki's relationship

Ming Ming and Suki's Momma

Hi all,

I am in need of some advise on how to better my girls relationship. Suki has been with us now for two weeks and Ming Ming is coming around getting used to her being here. I know some of you advised me before to just let them work out there relationship, but I notice that they are biting each other and Suki is always attacking Ming Ming ears. I know this can't be good for them. I'm trying to let them work it out, but when do I step in and say enough is enough?

Bridget

PS. I do notice that Ming Ming looks out for her and search for her when Suki is not around. So I guess this is a good sign, lol!!!

Edited by Ming Ming's Mom

Parallel play might help. You play with them both at the same time so they enjoy you and each other at the same time. If things get too wild and wooly, I tend to distract crazy puppies with something else to do besides ear chomping, dragging each other by the tail, and general fierceness.

FairyTail Josette

Here are some of my thoughts....Ming Ming and Suki should be experiencing positive things whenever they are around each other. Give them each a treat to associate their presence of one another as a good thing. You could also work on simple commands and reward with a treat again. Always be positive with a happy pitched voice. When is enough a enough? Watch for body posture, this can be indicative of possible aggression - i.e., growling/snapping, showing teeth, hair standing up, a stiff posture. If this occurs, step in and divert each dog's attention to something else.

Here's a good link with some tips:

http://www.freedogtraininginfo.com/83/pupp...-dogs-together/

Here are some of my thoughts....Ming Ming and Suki should be experiencing positive things whenever they are around each other. Give them each a treat to associate their presence of one another as a good thing. You could also work on simple commands and reward with a treat again. Always be positive with a happy pitched voice. When is enough a enough? Watch for body posture, this can be indicative of possible aggression - i.e., growling/snapping, showing teeth, hair standing up, a stiff posture. If this occurs, step in and divert each dog's attention to something else.

Here's a good link with some tips:

http://www.freedogtraininginfo.com/83/pupp...-dogs-together/

Thank You! Thank You! Suzi! I really need that site. I have notice Ming Ming's agreesion lately due to she is tired of nipping at her ears from Suki and Suki's agresseive play. As of lately, I notice Ming Ming has started biting at her and I thought that was unexceptable so I would intervene. So thanks again for the help information.

Bridget

Time does play a huge part also.....they may NEVER be very best buds....example....when we brought Rudy home (granted, I had two already) he wanted to play ALL the time and would tug and bite on the others ears AND back legs. Maddy was fine with all of it, but Josie would just get made and growl and snarl and snap at Rudy....they BOTH still have that behavior. Sometimes Josie will play very nicely with Rudy, but other times she gets very irritated. If Josie is laying down in her bed and Rudy comes over, she will growl at him, but if Maddy comes over, he can crawl in with Josie and they snuggle....Now if Maddy is in the bed and Rudy come over, he will crawl in with Maddy and they snuggle.....Maddy is the golden child....LOL, he gets along with everybody. Rudy is the baby tag along pest, and Josie is just the grumpy ole lady.....LOL It is better, but we intervene if Josie gets too upset with him...I will just quietly go over and pick up Rudy and cuddle him and love on him for a couple of minutes, then put him back down and everything is fine again..he forgets what he was doing....

Claudiabehr

I notice that Cadbury who is only 2 pounds right now, is constantly trying to play with, get on top of, nibble on, get the toys of, sleep with, eat the food of .............. big sister Panda. Mostly P is very forgiving although to listen to them, you'd think someone was seriously aggressive. But if it were anyone, it would be Cadbury.....growling and yipyipyipping until I'm about to go mad (when I'm there). A couple of times I've seen Panda snap at her, like this morning and the message comes through to Cadbury VERY clearly to back off, which she does.........but all in all, my sweet Panda has continued to be the sweetest little dog ever including displaying no jealousy or possessiveness about anything. I'm amazed....

I only interfere rarely and then by distracting and this seems (at least until now) to work well. They really are working out their relationship.

Cathy, when Cadbury lies in Panda's bed, Panda gingerly comes over, gets in and then proceeds to lie ON TOP of Cadbury. Needless to say, the chocolate bar moves.

I notice that Cadbury who is only 2 pounds right now, is constantly trying to play with, get on top of, nibble on, get the toys of, sleep with, eat the food of .............. big sister Panda. Mostly P is very forgiving although to listen to them, you'd think someone was seriously aggressive. But if it were anyone, it would be Cadbury.....growling and yipyipyipping until I'm about to go mad (when I'm there). A couple of times I've seen Panda snap at her, like this morning and the message comes through to Cadbury VERY clearly to back off, which she does.........but all in all, my sweet Panda has continued to be the sweetest little dog ever including displaying no jealousy or possessiveness about anything. I'm amazed....

I only interfere rarely and then by distracting and this seems (at least until now) to work well. They really are working out their relationship.

Cathy, when Cadbury lies in Panda's bed, Panda gingerly comes over, gets in and then proceeds to lie ON TOP of Cadbury. Needless to say, the chocolate bar moves.

That's funny....but good cause Cad knows WHO'S boss. Rudy is still trying to BE boss....lol

i have a question similar to what's happening here.

ok, my sister just got a new puppy. she's 11 weeks old and her name is foxy. her and hunter play alot but she pulls and shakes on his ears and beard a lot and a little rough. not aggressive, but just sort of rough. i'm a little worried she might accidentally poke his eye or something. what should i do to try and keep her from doing that while they're playing?

(pictures will be posted in another thread.)

kcsheperd

My Two wrestle..NON STOP. I don't worry too much about their state of play, because they do it so frequently that if I were going to have to split them up, I'd be doing nothing but that all day! lol.. I mean they are serioulsy wrestlying 90% of the time that they are awake! Payslee gets too rough sometimes, and Saw lets out a little Cry, so she stops. Usually one is rougher than the other, but eventually when the other is sick of putting up with it, and had enough, they will let the other know..Mine love to bite each other on the ears (Payslee drags Sawyer off the couch BY HIS ears) and they bit in the face..but I think they do know their boundaries (Like not to bite each others nose or eyes).. So I wouldn't worry too much about that..

As for Ming and Suk, I would just say you will have to let them figure it out (set boundaries) for themselves. When I brought Pays home she constantly bugged 11 year old Rally, and he despised her..(He's still not a big fan of her now! lol) She would bother him, and he would pin her and growl..Never hurt her, just let her know that he didn't appreciate her puppy play at that moment.. Now it was different with Sawyer..When I brought him home Rally tolerated him much better than he did Payslee, because Saw was more calm, and not as pushy..However, Rally still had no problem letting Saw know he had enough. So I do think they have a natural ability to figure out their 'roles' for themselves..Just watch them for awhile and make sure its just 'noise' and not any actual bites (Which it usually never is) and I bet they will figure it out soon.. :)

Hi all!!!

Thanks for the advise. I was getting worried that their behavior toward each other wasn't healthy, but now I understand that that is their way getting to know each other. Yes, at times it does sound like two pitbulls going at, but I do supervise and make sure that things don't get too out of hand.

Like always, you guys are the greatest!!!

Bridget