Tinkle and Poop Machine has exploded

LovieandHalo

Ok, the cute little white fur ball has exploded. Everytime I turn around there is tinkle or poop someplace.... And my place is not that big!

I never said I could train dogs. Lovie was sent off to Board Agility training at age 6 months for 16 days without me, she came back fully trained at a mear cost of $890! But it was worth it.....

However due to the economy I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that for Halo and our sanity so I need help now.

He occasionally pees on the pads (which are everywhere by the way). But most of the time he goes in the corner. Should I put the pad in the corner where he's going? I have them in 2 spots in the house and neither are areas he seems to go. I was going to put them in the kitchen with the gate up however as stated the place isn't that big so I wouldn't be able to use the kitchen much with him in there.

The other option is the bathroom but it's fairly big. Do I line the entire area with pee pads, then gradually pick them up making the area smaller and smaller?

Also, he has full roam of the apartment with Lovie while I'm here of course. Is this half my problem? Too much freedom?

Yes! Run of the place is a mistake unless you want the whole world to be a potty place. Find out about crate training, or use a playpen. Confinement is doing yourself and the puppy a favor while he learns what is expected.

I have a blue tarp duct taped to the living room floor, and a pen made out of panels from a "6 cube wire storage unit" from Target. Instead of making the wire panels into a storage unit, you connect them together and make a pen. The panels are about 15" high and wide, so it works for a long time, and you can make the pen the size you want. One part for play, sleep, and eating, and the other part for potty pads. If the puppy tears up the potty pad, you can get a thingie that's like a frame that holds the pad in place and prevents it from becoming a project for destruction.

Don't isolate the puppy like in a bathroom. He needs to watch everyone doing their thing and know he's not been banished.

Confinement is a wonderful thing when it comes to housebreaking. When I have a pup in the house, I do basically the same thing as Paula. The pup is confined to an area with a bed, puppy pad, toys and water when I can't watch him. When he's out and about, he gets watched like a hawk and praised like crazy for using the puppy pad.

I have always done the crate training and take them out every couple of hours, if they don't go, the go back in the crate for 15-20 min and then back out again. I have never done potty pads, so I am no help there....good luck.

Carolina Girl

I have taken the advice of everyone and have kept Mowgli confined to his crate when I can't give him 100% attention. We've only had 1 accident. Also, in the crate they seem to hold it longer. Mowgli can hold it for about 3-4 hours in the crate, but only about an hour when he's out running loose.

I have taken the advice of everyone and have kept Mowgli confined to his crate when I can't give him 100% attention. We've only had 1 accident. Also, in the crate they seem to hold it longer. Mowgli can hold it for about 3-4 hours in the crate, but only about an hour when he's out running loose.

That is also because of their "den" instinct....they don't want to "dirty" their den where they sleep, plus they are calmer and not "working up" a "machine overload"...LOL