hunter has a new friend over for a week. she's an 11 week old shih-peke mix. anyway, they have been playing good, but hunter seems to shove his butt in her face every once in a while. it's odd, like he's really trying to rub it on her face very purposefully.

i'm just wondering what that means. is it just another form of dominance like humping?

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL my JoJo whose 4 now still does it to his brother and sisters when they are playing I do believe it's a dominance thing w/him he runs our roost not only does he do this which usually leads to the humping but we've worked soo hard on eating time w/him he literally stands in the kitchen and barks at his food and circles it he stands guard over it and barks and literally moves the others out 'til he says they can come in. It's an ongoing battle w/him. :)

Wicket's mom

Yes, all 3 of mine do this to each other, sometimes it looks like dominance other times it kinda looks like they're blocking an attack with their rear end lol. Gucci sticks her but out 90% of the time when she's playing with the boys, we call her a little hoochi mama :hideingbhindcurtian: I really don't know what her intentions are, it's just what she does.

mom2Gizmo

Nope, it's not a dominance thing at all actually. All it means in doggy language is "I want to be friends". It's as simple as that. My Gizmo does it constantly and you see it a lot in shih tzu's because they are such a friendly, outgoing breed.

There was actually a Victoria Stilwell episode where a dog did the exact thing. I've never personally known a dog who did this a lot though until my shih tzu.

Btw, though humping often times is a dominance thing...it is not always. Sometimes male dogs will do it just from being overstimulated and overexcited. Other times it is dominance. Believe it or not, not every little thing our dogs do is because they are trying to climb the rank ladder....lol.

Edited by mom2Gizmo
Boo and Gidgys Mom

Gaboo's friend, Daisy (a shih Tzu) does it every time they play. Also I saw a Shih Tzu on Americas Funniest videos do it ( I think it won the money too) You should have had your video camera handy. Haven't ever heard of another breed doing this. Wonder if it is just a Tuz thing. :hideingbhindcurtian:

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL well if it's a I wanna be friends thing they sure have a funny way of being friends all of mine act like they are killing eachother :) and at my house too it's usually over their mama. :)

i just asked the dude here at work that breeds and trains pit bulls. he said it's a form of flirting. so i guess mom2gizmo gets the prize.

mom2Gizmo

Oh goody....what's the prize?? :)

I'd like a little girl tzu.......yep, that could be my prize....lol.

Edited by mom2Gizmo
ShihtzuBeauty

Why not we have an x-rated show here in our home everyday. :)