Digging at the floor

Chloe's Mama

I was playing w/ Chloe and then I got up to do something and I hear her in the other room. I thought she was playing w/ a potty pad in the guest bathroom. She was actually digging at the floor. I've never seen her do that before and it was just so sudden. She may have done it before, but this is the first time I've seen it. Is she burning off energy or something. She looked like she was getting tired, but still doing it anyway. I tried to distract her w/ a toy, but she just kept going at it. Well, after 10 mins or so, it looks like she tired herself out.

Lol, Roxie does that too..she does it in her crate, in her bed, on the carpet, hardwood...pretty much everywhere..so it's not just her! i have no idea why either..I just always thought that what dogs do.

Little Molly

Molly does that too, on our tile floor. She also likes our leather couch! :hideingbhindcurtian: We had to put a oover over that though! She will also dig when she is given some kind of food that she doesn't want NOW, but wants to save for later. Oh yeah! And she just LOVES digging our rugs! lol This is all normal "dog" behavior!

Pam

Yes, all 3 of mine do this to each other, sometimes it looks like dominance other times it kinda looks like they're blocking an attack with their rear end lol. Gucci sticks her but out 90% of the time when she's playing with the boys, we call her a little hoochi mama :) I really don't know what her intentions are, it's just what she does.

hoochi mama LOL :)

mom2Gizmo

Gizmo does that too. As well as my sister's maltese and my mom's cockapoo. Growing up we only had medium and large sized dogs and they never did that, but all three of these guys do. So apparently it's a small breed thing??

Chloe's Mama

I've seen other dogs that we had dig through their blankets and scratching their dog bed, but I think it's the first time I'd seen one dig straight at the floor. And it's at the middle of the vinly, not the edge. The vinyl flooring is fairly new, not that I'm worried too much abt it, just that there doesn't seem to be a reason why she's digging at that spot.

Oh yea, all three of mine do that a LOT, but none as much as Josie. In fact, EVERY night when we go to bed, she wants under the covers and she digs and digs....we call it "digging to China"...LOL It has gotten so bad that I have now had to throw away our THIRD set of sheets she has "dug" thread bear....I told hubby just the other night that we need to move her around and not let her do her digging in ONE spot all the time....we have discussed why also....we originally thought it was to get the covers in a compfy way, but she often does it and then moves AWAY from that spot, so don't think that is it....then we also talked about doing it to just get "tired"....but I now think it is some sort of comforting thing...she does it when stressed to, like when there is thunder and lightening....am sure they must do it for a variety of reasons and must be instinctual.