Halo is a barker

LovieandHalo

Halo is a barker! Lovie never barks, only if provocked. So now when Halo starts "yelping" and "puppy barking", Lovie goes crazy and it becomes world war 3 in my house. Part of it's funny and the other part is "annoying". I need to nip the yelping/barking now on Halo so any ideas?.... "Quiet, ssshhh, no barking" is not working... He just stops for 1 second and keeps gong.

If you figure it out, let me know....my youngest, Rudy, is also the barker in our family, BUT, we now know if anyone is near our door or in our yard. Mostly tho, he barks at the other two when he wants to play, which is a LOT.....but, he is getting better, plays more on his own and chews on bones and stuff....It drove us CRAZY at first cause it was non stop....

Claudiabehr

Panda hardly ever barks and I didn't even know she had one till she was over 7 months old. But Cadbury is driving me to distraction with her incessant yipping and yapping when she plays with my silent Panda. Right now I'm adopting a wait and see attitude hoping the baby will quiet down when she's more able to hold her own with her big sis.

agree to tzuhouse let me know please, my lad barks if someone knocks on door or if coming down stairs and he cant see also barks his head of as soon as my daughters boyfriend arrives and on and off will keep it up whole time he is in the house, we dont understand why as he is wagging his tail at 1st we thought it would stop but nope. Weve tried shooshing, treats, sitting him on my lap, (he stops for while then starts again giving me a heart attack lol)

so if you find a way let me know.. please!! :)

Little Molly

Well Molly barks when she hears anything outside. I have had 3 of my own dogs, but when they were closed INSIDE, they usually didn't bark. Molly is the exception though.

It can be 3 am, and she will hear someone outside talking (we have a pub right down the street) and she will go off! Night before last my husband said fine! You wanna bark, then go upstairs and do it! He took her upstairs and closed the gate that we have in the stairway. She didn't make any noise the rest of the night except a couple of moans and groans because she wanted to come back to bed with us.

I still haven't figured out how to get her to quit. She barks even when there isn't anything to bark at. At least that I can see. We usually just go outside and get her and try to distract her.

But boy, these tzus have BIG voices for little dogs, don't they?

Pam

Carolina Girl

I also have barkers. The baby doesn't bark yet, but I'm sure he will soon. Daisy and Ozzy bark at any noise they hear outside. They also bark when the doorbell rings or if they see people out in front of the house. It's annoying, but there are things so much worse.

2 better than 1

Pippin has never been a huge barker, but he does bark at some things. He barks if some one comes to the door and some times if the teenagers across the street come home and have their music blaring. But for the most part he is quiet. I am worried that, now that we have 2 of them, they will get each other going and both bark. I am hoping to avoid that at all costs! I hate going to people's houses and the dogs are going crazy... I don't want people to be annoyed or afraid to come over to our house. If anyone has tricks, please let us know!

MisterMom

All 4 of mine bark & raise a ruckus at anyone or anything they hear, or thought they heard, outside or anyone that knocks on the door. If who ever is outside comes inside they immediately go into the - pet me mode.

Usually at least once a day Coco, on purpose, gets in Missy's face and barks at her. Missy then starts making whining noises, then Brandi joins in with her shrill bark and Angel will get in her howling voice. It starts all at one and usually last 1 or 2 minutes.

I think they are discussing how their day is going, or planning dinner !! I think it is cute, so I just let them have at it. Quiet neighborhood here, so no problems at night.

Chloe's Mama

Chloe mainly barks when she plays, and when she wants to play w/ Brady, but he's out of her reach.

Claudiabehr

Cadbury is like Chloe and barks only when she's playing. The thing is.......all she wants to do from dawn till dusk is play with little P, who in my eyes is fast becoming Saint P!

LovieandHalo

Halo wants to make sure we all know he's here I think. My boyfriend just called and Halo was in the background barking at Lovie and the toy. He asked "Who's that barking".. I was like "YOUR SON!"

And yes, he was a loud mini me bark!

kcsheperd

Payslee is a BIG barker. Sawyer is not. But I can make her stop through a couple of things. First teach "watch me".. If your babe knows Watch me, then that means they will always stop what they are doing and pay attention to you..So when Pays starts barking, (I make sure I have liver treats within reach at all times) and I say "Payslee, Watch me" and hold the treat up where she can see it.. when she does I reward..If she comes over to me not barking, I reward again. Now, this said, I don't correct her for barking during play, because she's playing, and thats her energy release..I'm correcting her when she barks at sounds outside, or if she goes on and on when someone rings the doorbell, etc.. So I distract her with the "Watch me" command, say "shhh" or something like that..then treat when she is quiet for a second..It takes a long time, but eventually with enough treating they learn that "shh" or stopping gets them a treat. Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...
2 better than 1

OK... this thread is a little old, but I thought I would add an experience I had tonight and see if anyone had some ideas to help me.

I was outside with Lyric and Pippin was inside. The neighbor walked by with his dog (unleashed). His dog is well behaved and listens well to him. They saw us and kept walking. Lyric watched them walk by and sat quietly as they passed. They turned around at the end of the street and headed back toward our house. She went crazy when they came back! I have NEVER heard her bark like that! I couldn't get her to stop and had to bring her inside. It was so embarassing! Pippin has never really been a big barker, so I didn't reallly know what to do.

She hasn't been around other dogs yet other than Pippinso I think that's why she acted so crazy. She just had her last shots last week, so she can play with other dogs now, but I don't want her playing with the dogs in our neighborhood because they are all big dogs. I would love to bring her to the dog park, but we have had a ton of rain here and it's flooded. I want her to be socialized. Any ideas? I REALLY don't want her to be a barker!

I am not a dog park fan anyway and we don't have any dogs around anyway, so I have found the very best way is via classes....whether you do obedience or some other, it is a great way for dogs to realized that they can be around other dogs without playing or barking....just being in the same room with a neutral reaction is what you want to achieve. Play is great, but it doesn't really help dogs to "behave" around other dogs.....they learn no boundaries that way (with respect to YOU I mean).

Chloe's Mama

Well, now Chloe is barking a little more. My mom came by yesterday and Chloe barked at her, which she's never done before. And then, I had a friend over yesterday, who hadn't seen Chloe. Chloe took a while to warm up to her. She stayed by me at first and just barked. But eventually, she would get closer to my friend and finally let her touch her. It was funny and interesting to watch how she reacted. When Chloe was little, I had a repairman come in and she didn't seem to be bothered by him. She would go up to him and he'd talk to her and pet her. My aunt and uncle have come by a couple of times and she was ok. I guess she's becoming more protective.