Molly is a Barker!

Little Molly

Here in Italy, we keep our windows open at night because of the heat. A/C is quite expensive for us, so it is not an option. We also live in town. It is normal for people to take walks at midnight, or later in the summer. Kids of all ages are roaming the streets. This is something I still have a hard time getting used to. Anyway...

Anytime my furchild hears ANY noise outside my door/window, she goes into alarm mode! It doesn't matter what time of the day or night. Our house is connected to two other houses, and the walls are concrete, so you can hear EVERYTHING! Last night Molly went wild. Some kid's moped broke down right in front of our house, and he kept trying to start the engine. For Molly, it was serious. I tried to calm her down. Tried to pet her. I ended up having to close her in the bathroom until that guy left. I had to close the window so my neighbors couldn't hear her. I have already heard one neighbor say something about her barking. I don't want them to do something drastic. I have known people here to get upset with dogs so much so, that they will poisen them! It has happened many times.... :(

Anyway, what I ended up doing was, putting Molly upstairs (kitchen) and closing the gate. I said, if you want to bark, you're going to be on your own! Then I went back downstairs. After a few minutes, I heard her growling (softly) lol,....and at that point my husband said he would go get her. I was already feeling bad because she was not on my bed with me! She came back downstairs and calmed down immediately. So maybe I will just have to give her a time out each time she goes wild like that? I don't know. I have never had a dog act like that at night when we turn off the lights. My other dogs were a lot calmer. But I sure like my baby trying to protect her mamma! ;)

Boo and Gidgys Mom

Well, I can see how that might be a problem with people outside that late at night. I think Molly is just doing what comes natural. I hope your neighbors don't do anything drastic. Don't other people in the area have dogs as well? I would think that people right outside all hours of the night would be disturbing to all the other dogs as well. It would also be disturbing to me. ;)

I agree, nighttime could be a problem....hopefully this is only once in awhile thing...good luck on that..

Little Molly

Well, I can see how that might be a problem with people outside that late at night. I think Molly is just doing what comes natural. I hope your neighbors don't do anything drastic. Don't other people in the area have dogs as well? I would think that people right outside all hours of the night would be disturbing to all the other dogs as well. It would also be disturbing to me. ;)

Yes, the people making noise outside, makes Molly go wild inside. No one thinks twice about people walking up and down the street that late at night. But when a dog barks.... Yes, there are a couple of other dogs on the street. Basically the neighbor that complains is right next door to me. He has my dog on one side, and another pup on the other. I think they plan out when and who to bark to! lol But my neighbor is NOT a dog lover. He tolerates my dog because he knows how I feel about her. But I have heard that his mother in law poisened two cats a long time ago. Now I don't know if that is just hear say or what. But he admitted just the other day that he poisened some pigeons that were being troublesome. So I just don't know! I don't trust people that do things like that. My husband says not to worry, that they would never hurt Molly!

Funny thing is, they (neighbors) got into a fight the other night and woke us (and Molly) up at 3:30 am! Maybe I should bring that up the next time they mention dogs barking! Hmph!

I do agree though, that Molly was doing what a dog should do. She was protecting her property.

I agree, nighttime could be a problem....hopefully this is only once in awhile thing...good luck on that..

Me too, although summer has just begun. It is SO different than the states. Most people come to LIFE at night here. I just can't wait till August when they have the big patron saint festival here with all the fireworks going off till wee hours of the night! That lasts about 10 days! :(

Don't they know that some people like to sleep!

Boo and Gidgys Mom

Yes please mention to him about the 3:30 AM fight. You might also want to mention how you know of someone that poisioned middle of the night fighters. LOL

Little Molly

Yes please mention to him about the 3:30 AM fight. You might also want to mention how you know of someone that poisioned middle of the night fighters. LOL

ROFLOL Good one!

LovieandHalo

Halo is a barker too and I live in an apartment as well. So I picked up a clicker from the pet store. Everytime he barks I click it. It's working slowly but it's a start. My vet said to make an odd or deep noise after the action of the dog to get his/her attention that what they are doing is not accepted. So the clicker is louder than my voice so I'm trying that method. So far so good.

chloechanel'smommy

Halo is a barker too and I live in an apartment as well. So I picked up a clicker from the pet store. Everytime he barks I click it. It's working slowly but it's a start. My vet said to make an odd or deep noise after the action of the dog to get his/her attention that what they are doing is not accepted. So the clicker is louder than my voice so I'm trying that method. So far so good.

I may have to try that method with Chloe.