Major peeing problems

UrsusArctos

Warning. This is Gross.

Peaches is my Pekingese. She is 5 years old. I adopted her when she was 3, so I've had her for two years.

She is house trained.... sort of. If I ask her, do you want to go outside? She will run to the door. If I tell her to go potty, she will immediately pee. She has only pooped in the house ONCE, and otherwise can be left alone for hours at a time without any incident.

So I thought.

Over the last 2 years, I have caught her, maybe 4-5 times, peeing just a drop or two. Whenever I caught her in the act, I would grab her, scold her, say no, and immediately clean it up. Well, sometimes I notice my apartment has a slight 'musty' smell. But I can never find any wetness or pee anywhere in the house. I also only have one other pet- my shih tzu ollie, who I know is 100% trained.

Well, I am moving, and I decided to sell my bed. I stripped off all the blanket, and to my horror, my bed is covered in little tiny pee stains. Yes. I have been sleeping in pee. It is absoluetly disgusting. I had no idea she was doing that, and I am thoroughly grossed out.

Well, now what? How do you train a dog to not pee a drop? Especially if can't catch her? She has been crate trained but i really hate the idea of keeping her isolated in a crate all day while im at work, and then all night while i sleep. I don't think its fair to own an animal if you keep it locked up all the time. I could babygate the kitchen- but that isn't training her to stop- its just easier to clean. again, she doesn't completely relieve herself- its more like marking- just a drop here and there. Ugh!

I have taken her to the vet, and she has ruled out any possibility for a bladder infection or other health issue. Help!!

Edit: also, she is spayed.

Edited by UrsusArctos
Boo and Gidgys Mom

Hmmmm, my first thought was a bladder infection too. Since that has been ruled out. I don't know what to tell you. But I would put some sort of mattress protector on the bed, and plan on doing a lot of laundry.

Maybe do some internet research on this to see if other dog owners have this problem and how they solved it. Good luck

Carolina Girl

Gosh, mine have peed on the bed before but it wasn't just a drop.......Hmmmm.....Does your vet have any idea why she is doing this? The only time that I have seen mine pee just a drop or two is when Daisy pees where other dogs have. It's not a full pee, just enough to cover their smell up.

mom2Gizmo

It sounds like she has a weak bladder and pees in her sleep/rest when her body relaxes. My older female dog does that. It happens to female dogs often and I'm surprised the vet did not bring this up?? Please don't scold her about it. My dog gets very upset with herself that this happens. Get a waterproof mattress protector for now. There are medications for this issue, but my dog had side effects on it so she can't take it. Although, I will say that when this happens to my dog it is not just a drop.

I don't know what it is with beds,but every once in a while Penny will go in our bedroom & pee on the bed.This is during the day time.She is fully house trained ,but for the life of me I do not know what possesses her to do this.She sleeps on the bed with us & never does it while we are there.We just keep our bedroom door shut until we go to bed,but every once in a while,I forget & shes right in there up to her dirty deed.We do have a protector on the mattress,but we still have to wash all the linen.

meganpatricia

So many people on this forum seem to have success with restricting their babies to one area of the house while they are gone- I can understand the hesitation to keep them in a crate all day, but certainly the kitchen or a large bathroom is not an unfair limit. Its not fair to you to have an unsanitary sleeping place, thats for certain!

I agree. Mine don't have run of the house; just the living areas. Who knows what goes through their little brains? They are goofy little animals, that's for sure. My Juno still does silly potty stuff, but the older ones never do. I wonder how Clark will be? And Taffy?

It could be spay incontinence, medication can help I believe. But, yeah, I'd invest in a nice mattress protector and gate her into the kitchen during the day just to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...
Daisy's Parents

This is also a sign of a very submissive dog. She may be so lacking in confidence that she piddles a couple drops whenever she feels the alpha dog (you) makes a demand of her. Sometimes the demand can be as innocent as asking her to sit. One of my friends has a little Jack Russell that did this for a long time before they figured out he needed some confidence building. He now rarely ever piddles in the house.