will he grow out of this behavior

oliveira101903

Bandit is a 11 week old shih tzu. I got him from a 16 year old girl who's mom wouldn't let her keep him after he tore up there couch. I don't no much about him the girl got him off craigslist from a couple in RI about a week later when my husband so the girl again (she is a customer @ our store) he said you didnt tell me he has a temper ...the girls reply was oh you just hit him when he's fresh (really so glad she couldnt keep him)!!!!

Problem is when i pick him up to go in his pen or because he's doing something he shouldn't he goes nuts viciously trying to bite me growling, biting and thrashing his body around to try to get me .... everyone tells me its puppy temper he will grow out of im not so sure ... He plays great with Snowflake and he is good with kids... he flips out when i try to move him from a area or pick him up (except for when i picking him up out of his pen than hes lovey dovey)

Has anyone experienced this????

What should I do????

Here is a pic of Bandit :)

hunter was exactly like that when i got him at 9 months old. he had a bad biting problem and would bite the crap out of me if i tried to move him from his spot on the couch (which was where ever he happened to be) or tried to dry his feet or brush him, etc.

anyway, i used the alpha roll technique. maybe that wasn't what i should have done, but i guess it worked. he doesn't bite anymore unless i do something that causes him pain, like trying to brush a matt that i didn't know was there. i would never ever hit him though.

ShihtzuBeauty

Ahh look at that Sweet Adorable baby!!! :):dede: LOL a couple of mine have been pistols during puppyhood. I know several members who have used the NILF training method w/great success. Heres a link for ya. :)

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

Yep, I'd get on that right away. He's probably been hurt somewhere along the line and needs to know that his behavior has limits, and that when he does the right thing, wonderful things happen. Be strong, and good luck. He's a very cute little guy!

Wicket's mom

He's adorable!!! Glad to hear you adopted him and he's in a better home now. I agree with Melissa with the NILF training, it will help him understand that he doesn't rule you and the household.

Poor baby, it sounds to me like he HAS been hit in the past and he is being defensive out of fear. I used the dominance method too, but I never put mine to the floor like some suggest. Anytime I needed to calm one of mine or if one was being to aggressive with me as a puppy, I picked them up and held their side up against my chest and held firmly to my shoulder.....they wriggled and squirmed, but I held strong....NEVER hurting just not allowing them to move away.....finally you hear a big sigh of submission and when they were still for 15-20 seconds without trying to fight, I would release them and praise, praise, praise.

I too agree this may NOT be the right method for everyone, but it DID work for me. It was kind and gentle, but let the puppy know that momma IS in charge. I still once in a blue moon will have to do it and you would be surprised how quickly the submission comes and then they lick me to pieces....only takes a few times to get the message across, but they learn the moment you hold them like that, it is kinda like a time out I guess....but all is forgiven and they behave afterward.

I used to go to a vet who wrote a book about this....he suggested doing it a lot more, even when not needed and also the floor method....I just couldn't go there, so I adopted my own method.....it also works for my Josie when she is really fearful of thunder....I hold her up and say very softly "calm", "calm" over and over and she just melts in to relaxation....doesn't always last through the storm, but it helps her a lot....a great calming method....

Good luck, I am sure you will get past this, just remember, he may be bringing "baggage" from some abuse, however mild or strong, with him....so every method you use, needs to be gentle and loving.

ShihtzuBeauty

thanks for that article mellisa. i needed something like that put into simple words for me.

LOL you're welcome I know this method of training has worked for many of us.