Have to leave the boyz home now

HELP!!!!!! I was bringing my boy to work with me everyday - but we have recently changed over ownership and can no longer do that - so Clancy (who will be 2 in October) doesn't seem to mind staying at home (I think it bothers me more then it bothers him) - I leave for work between 6:30 & 7 a.m. and am not home until 5:30 - 7 p.m. - my husband (god love him) does go home at his lunch to let him out - even though we pick-up the water bowl, and David comes to let him out - he is still peeing and pooping in-between - any thoughts from anyone?

Cindy and the spoiled child

FairyTail Josette

Hi Cindy, does Clancy currently have run of the house during the day? Or, is he being crated? Or, is he gated off in one room? Was he having accidents in the house before this transition at work? Sometimes, a change in routine or a little stress can cause a fluff to relapse in training. What is his feeding schedule? Do you free feed him? Feeding times should be taken into consideration, too. (I would gate him off in the kitchen or put him in an x-pen with his bed/toys and potty pad.) How did you potty train initially? Did you crate train? Has Clancy ever used pee pads? I think you have to go back to square one of how you started potty training him. Being home alone all day now has probably made him a little anxious after being with you at work all day. He will adjust, but, it will take a little time to get onto a new schedule.

Edited by FairyTail Josette

Cindy, I used to bring my baby Panda to work with me and when I got her sister, Cadbury, stopped bringing her. I'm afraid she not only had some separation anxiety, but I had inadvertently by taking her out every hour while at work, not made her strengthen her bladder. So I had to revert to puppy pads with her even though she was gated into the living room/kitchen area. This is 3 months later and I do go home at lunch to take them both out, but both have pretty much stopped using the pee pads and are able to wait until I get there. Have hope............

Thank you so much for responding Suzi and Claudia - yes he does have free roam of the house - although today I gated him in the kitchen with his brothers (George and Sydney, both Japanese Chins - George is the older brother and Sydney is the younger, so Clancy gets to be the middle child!)

Yes - I have had issues with them having accidents in the house prior to this little development - Clancy has been a bugger to house break and would only every so often have an accident, but since Sydney came along it got real interesting for awhile - by the way George (3 in May) and Sydney (just turned 1 in August) are rescues so they both have their own baggage - I have been afraid of putting down pee pads because we always take them outside, we have a lovely fenced yard and keep them company while they are outside - and I have been told that will only encourage them to continue to go in the house (not doing so well on that one anyway) -

So would putting a potty pad down help or hurt? - I'm definitely confused on the subject - most of their "accidents" have been because it was raining and nobody wanted to go outside - god forbid we get wet - I look pretty silly out there with an umbrella, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do

Cindy and the boyz - by the way Clancy will turn 2 in October

FairyTail Josette

Thank you so much for responding Suzi and Claudia - yes he does have free roam of the house - although today I gated him in the kitchen with his brothers (George and Sydney, both Japanese Chins - George is the older brother and Sydney is the younger, so Clancy gets to be the middle child!)

Yes - I have had issues with them having accidents in the house prior to this little development - Clancy has been a bugger to house break and would only every so often have an accident, but since Sydney came along it got real interesting for awhile - by the way George (3 in May) and Sydney (just turned 1 in August) are rescues so they both have their own baggage - I have been afraid of putting down pee pads because we always take them outside, we have a lovely fenced yard and keep them company while they are outside - and I have been told that will only encourage them to continue to go in the house (not doing so well on that one anyway) -

So would putting a potty pad down help or hurt? - I'm definitely confused on the subject - most of their "accidents" have been because it was raining and nobody wanted to go outside - god forbid we get wet - I look pretty silly out there with an umbrella, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do

Cindy and the boyz - by the way Clancy will turn 2 in October

Every dog is different, every situation is different. In your situation, looking at the big picture: with your work schedule (I assume you work M-F), the ages of Clancy, Sydney, and George...1, 2, and 3, Sydney and George having a little baggage, and the change in Clancy's schedule, I would continue to gate them all off in the kitchen and use potty pads. I also assume they all get along well. Being a bit older, they should not be shredding the potty pads, at this point. Like Claudia mentioned, the potty pads are not a forever thing, necessarily. But, a compromise for being gone up to 12 hours a day. I know your husband goes home daily for lunch. But, even thee most perfect puppy parent that loves their dog to death....there will come a time when he is unable to make it home for lunch. Then, at least they have an option to go. Place your pee pads in the same location and as far away from your carpet, if applicable, in your kitchen. Never place a pee pad on carpet or move locations. The 3 C's of house training: consistency, confinement, and cleanup. The clean up needs to have a product such as Nature's Miracle. There's a possibility that Clancy had a set back when your Chins entered the pic, because, of clean up. If any odor is left behind in the carpet or flooring material, they will want to go back to that spot to go again, just doggy nature. I would not let them have run of the house. Be patient, they will eventually get there. Nobody likes to go outside when it's raining either, I always think....haha, would you? Mine actually do go in the rain. But, I have to do a lot of coaxing and take them out and stand with them and use an umbrella, too. I also have to "remind" them it's time to go out, which, I still do every few hours, even though they are all adults. Btw, I have a friend that may get a Japanese Chin, they are so cute. Bless you for taking in Sydney and George, be sure to post all their pics in the pic forum. :rolleyes: