My older Shih-tzu Sam whines. He hardly ever barks, but the whining is getting worse. The trouble is, he whines so often, nobody takes any notice any more and this evening, he pooped inside the doors to the deck, presumably because nobody took any notice of him.

Half the time we have absolutely no idea why he is whining. I go upstairs and look at him and he wags his tail -- he doesn't need water because I check that. This constant whining is actually getting very annoying. I think barking would be preferable. Any idea what I can do? Sam is seven years old. I did think of squirting him with a spray bottle - that works well for my friend when her dogs bark, but most of the time he is in another room and he stops by the time I get upstairs - or downstairs - depending on where he is standing when he whines and I can't see the point of squirting him unless you can catch him actually in the process of whining.

Any suggestions?

I have 8 Shih Tzu. I've learned to understand their barks and whines. Only 2 of them are whiners but there is always a reason....hungry....bedtime....go out....pain. The pain thing would worry me with your baby. Have you had him checked by a vet? Could be an ear infection or something else that is difficult to diagnose just by looking at him. Hope you figure it out soon.

I agree. A trip to the vet is needed to rule out sickness first.

FairyTail Josette

The first thing that came to my mind when reading your post is pain. Shih Tzu normally don't whine. I agree with Tracy and Mel, please, consult your vet and get him in for an exam. The only other thing that comes to mind is....is he alone when he's whining? I noticed you said, when you get downstairs or upstairs....is he by himself? The other factor that comes to mind would be separation anxiety, as, the Shih Tzu breed is a companion dog and needs a lot of human companionship. I would not spray him with water for this situation. My gang sends pawhugs to Sam, poor baby. There is definitely something going on, please, keep us posted. :rolleyes:

ShihtzuBeauty

Get him checked by a vet. and there is Never a reason to use a spray bottle on an animal to me thats abuse not training.

Ditto. This dog needs to see his vet. They don't whine for no reason. Pain is likely.

Agreed. A trip to the vet is necessary.

I agree with the rest about the trip to the vet to rule out or find anything medical..

However, Emmi is a whiner....

Sometimes, when I vacuum, etc..I have to put a safety gate up to separate me and the dogs so I can get some cleaning done..

Emmi will sit at the gate and WHIMPER AND WHINE like the pathetic little baby she is if she is NOT at momma's feet or in momma's arms....LOL

Even when the other dogs bark at something or someone outside, she'll sit there and whine at the object or person.

If I go to the bathroom and she is left out side...she'll sit at the door and whine...

As soon as I open the door and she is physically with me again..the whining stops.

It's sounds more like what Suzi said, in that, it's separation anxiety, as you did say it stops once you reach him...

But again.... A trip to the vet should be done IN CASE!

Some dogs are barkers and some whiners...

Sounds like we have whiners though...LOL