What size crate should I get?

fidoprincess

Hi, we are new owners of a darling boy. Our boy came to us crate trained and luckily we had a small crate for our tiny cats that he took over and loves but he is growing fast and we need to get a new crate. The problem is what size should we get?

Our pup is 3 1/4 lbs at 14 weeks and his dad weighs 5 lbs and his mom weighs 6. Now that we have done more research, it seems like he could stay tiny or he could grow much larger, we just don't know. Does anyone know what size crate we should buy? Our friends lent us a big metal crate that had a divider that you can move back as they grow but it is 3 feet long and 2 feet wide and too gigantic to even move around the house.

What size crate does your baby have? Can your pup jump up on your bed or did you have to get steps and if so, what kind do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us.

I never posted a photo before but will try:

4383e4_201.jpg

Hope it works!

He's very cute!

We have a wire crate that came with a piece that can be attached in the middle to make the crate smaller. We got a crate big enough for Oreo to stand and turn around because we live in a hurricane area, and we wanted a crate that would work if we had to go to a storm shelter.

ShihtzuBeauty

Hi and Welcome to the family! :blush-anim-cl: What an Adorable furbaby. :hideingbhindcurtian: No suggestions here don't crate mine.

FairyTail Josette

What a cute baby, love the basket photo!

We crate trained Cody and Mandy and had a couple of different sizes during their puppyhood. We had a small crate that is probably the same size you have now you use for your cats. Then, we bought a medium sized crate, the next size up. The metal crate with the divider sounds very nice and will work well for your stationary needs. My dogs can't jump up on the furniture or beds. For the bed, we just carry them on and off of it. They don't try to jump off of it. I saw some puppy steps at Walgreens for 10 bucks. I'm not sure about the quality or construction, but, it looked fine for a small dog. Target and Walmart carries pet steps, too.

savri dream

I actually got a 30inch one for when Alfie came home at nine weeks so it would last him a while i did think that maybe he would soil it but he never has he now weighs eight pounds and is four months old hope this helps

Emma's mommy

WELCOME! Nice to have you. Congratulations on the baby boy, he is just precious.

chloechanel'smommy

What a cute little boy! What's his name? I have no suggestions for the crate. I don't use one either. Chloe can jump on the furniture so I don't use steps either. Welcome to the forum!

fidoprincess

Thanks for your replies and warm welcomes! The dog was a bday gift for my daughter who just turned 11. She has been asking for years and I finally decided it was the time.

How big is your Chloe? I guess a larger dog can easily jump on and off the bed. I had a Yorkie before and he was only 5 lbs and could jump up but I read that it's bad for their body to do it and after years, they may have serious problems.

I ended up ordering steps yesterday and figured I would just add them to my dd's Christmas gifts-sneaky-lol! They are pretty expensive but my little cat is getting older and she might just use them too so I think it was a good purchase if they use them. The puppy was in the bed and sort of whining and I had a hunch he was thirsty so we put him down and he was REALLY thirsty so it will be nice if he can get up and down himself. When he wants up, he barks and everytime I reach for him, he backs away so that is frustrating too. I think I will like the steps most of all.

As for the crate, the person who loaned it to us said take out time so I think I will just wait and see how big he gets and then get one. So far, we don't use it all that much. I do need it if I go out but I am home most of the time. We put his food in there so the cats don't eat it but the crate we use the most is the one next to the bed. The other night he fell asleep and we LOST him in the blankets! I was afraid he would be crushed or suffocate so we just let him fall asleep in our arms and then put him in his little den and he sleeps great. That is the one he is outgrowing so fast though.

Today is a "bad" day because it is raining and the dog hates the rain and my DH was going to "help" me and take out the puppy but he didn't wait long enough and brought him in and he pooped-ugh! Then he took him out to pee and came in and said, "He didn't go" and he went on the floor! UGH! I told DH he has to stay until he is done but he doesn't want to so I will end up always doing it=grrr. It would be nice to have "reliable" help on the weekend-lol! The last 2 days we had absolutely NO accidents but that is because I was in charge and took him out every single hour and stayed with him until he went. Oh boy, I hope we can get back on track!

fidoprincess

Oops, forgot to add that my daughter is a big Giants fan and named him Panda after one of the players. They also won the World Series on her bday! Oh, and he kind of looks like a Panda, don't you think?

my lad is 1 at end of week and weighs approx 15lb and we have a 24" x 18" crate which is fab for him and we have the same size for our pup to ise when she arrives, we did get a nice big soft pillow bed so made a nice nest in there so doesnt look to big and as grows take it out and just use a vet bed. Hope that helps.