NEW SHIH TZU OWNER WITH SOME QUESTIONS

HI EVERYONE NEW TO THE FORUM AND NEW TO OWNING A DOG THIS IS MY FIRST.WE ARE CRATE TRAINING COCO AND USING WEWE PADS BECAUSE IT IS STILL REAL COLD AND SNOWING HERE.SO DO I PUT A WEWE PAD IN HER CRATE WITH HER WHEN WE ARE NOT HOME ALSO AT NIGHT.SHE SEEMS TO BE PEEING ON THE PADS IN HER CRATE PRETTY WELL BUT POOPING EVERYWHERE.I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT THEY USUALLY DONT POO WHERE THEY SLEEP.PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ALSO FOR WHEN WE ARE HOME WITH HER THANKS ALLOT I AM GONNA NEED ALLOT OF HELP.LOLSHE IS 9 WEEKS OLD

Carolina Girl

Welcome! I don't have a lot of experience with potty training, but I honestly don't think I would put the pee pad in her crate. By doing that, you are teaching her to pee in there. With Mowgli, I put his crate inside of a small pen (purchased from Wal-Mart for $40), I took the door off his crate. I put a blanket inside of the crate and a pee pad in the pen outside of his crate. He would sleep in the crate and come out to pee on the pad. We only had to do this for about 3 weeks. After that, he was able to hold it in his crate all night. We know longer use the pen outside of his crate. And also have put the "door" back on. To date, he has never peed or pooped in his crate. He can hold it in there for up to 12 hours. (He's almost 9 months old.)

I'm sure that some others will have more ideas. This just worked really well for us and this is the method I will always use for puppies. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of little Coco!

GizmoHappyKitty

Welcome! I don't have a lot of experience with potty training, but I honestly don't think I would put the pee pad in her crate. By doing that, you are teaching her to pee in there. With Mowgli, I put his crate inside of a small pen (purchased from Wal-Mart for $40), I took the door off his crate. I put a blanket inside of the crate and a pee pad in the pen outside of his crate. He would sleep in the crate and come out to pee on the pad. We only had to do this for about 3 weeks. After that, he was able to hold it in his crate all night. We know longer use the pen outside of his crate. And also have put the "door" back on. To date, he has never peed or pooped in his crate. He can hold it in there for up to 12 hours. (He's almost 9 months old.)

I'm sure that some others will have more ideas. This just worked really well for us and this is the method I will always use for puppies. Good luck! Can't wait to see pics of little Coco!

We did something similar with our dogs as puppys too. Worked well for us as well. Lucky was totally potty trained after about a month or 2, he would let you know when he needed out to go potty. We also had a pee pad by the door for him just in case, but after that remained dry for over a month we removed it and he never had any accidents in the house once it was removed either (he's 11 mo. old now and his pad has been gone since July).

Michele and the pups

P.S. I've heard that if a puppy will poo and pee in their crate it means the crate is too big because most pups don't want to soil where they sleep. At 9 wks old, she should be able to last for about 3 hrs before needing to go out. When I let my little one have free time outside of his pen when I was watching him, I would take him out every 30 min - 1 hour just to get him used to going out and knowing that is the proper place to do his business. Also, you have to take them out as soon as they wake up, within 5 min of eating or drinking and after they've been running around playing.

Here is a picture of the set up we used for him