luvmybabies

I am such a sucker for new things for my dogs. Today I was in the Pet store and spied a thing called a Thunder Coat. Of course I had to ask all about it. It is for dogs that get scared during thunder storms, dogs that get separation anxiety, dogs that pull on the leash and dogs that are very excitable....you get the idea. Well I immediately went back to the car to grab my ALWAYS VERY EXCITABLE dog, Benji. I have been taking him to classes and the class is half over before he calms enough to pay attention. He is very smart and learns well when at home but is so excited in public it is hard. So we set him on the counter to put it on and he was so wired it took the sales girl and me both to get it on him. Almost immediately he calmed. I paid for it and went back to the car. Just put him in his seat and never heart another peep for the whole time we were away! No drugs or anything. It fits very snug and that is what is supposed to calm him. It has a 45 day warranty so I can't lose either way. Just thought I'd let you know about it if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

Like swaddling a baby.

• Like 1
ParadiseTzu

WOW - I'll have to check out Petsmart and see if they have one that fits an 80 lb dog. My Lucy is petrified at the first clap of thunder and will destroy the chain link fence trying to get out. We go running out at that first clap but still sometimes arnt fast enough.

• Like 1
tzukeeper

Had to run look for more info on this as I have 3 that are terrified of thunder and fireworks. I look forward to hearing how it works for your baby :happydance:

Here is a link if anyone is interested in learning more. Not sure if this is the same one you purchased as there seems to be a number of them on the market under different names.

http://www.thundershirt.com/?gclid=CL2yxcu...CFYXu7QodSmdFDg

• Like 1
emmasmom

I had heard of these before, but didn't know of anyone who tried it. Will be interesting to hear if it works....hopefully it will, it would sure be a wonderful thing for any dog who stresses out for any reason!

Paula, you are right....like swaddling a baby!

• Like 1
luvmybabies

Tracey, you found the exact one I bought. Sorry, it is called a thunder shit not coat.

• Like 1
MisterMom

Having been awake from 2 to 4 am with thunder & lightning & heavy rain, and a panicked shivering, getting on my head, panting dog - for sure let me know if it works !!

• Like 1

Heh, heh. Joyce said "thunder shit". :happydance:

emmasmom

And we all know how we love that subject around here!!! :happydance:

HEY! okay, you got me....

luvmybabies

I guess I'd better work on my typing skills or else proof read!!! Ha ha good one on me.

OoOOOOHoooh. :birthday_toast: Interesting...!!!!!

I wonder if this will do anything positive for my Finners.. with his anxiety when we leave the house, or his excited pee dribbling when someone comes to the house, or while we're out, etc... hmmm. I'm fascinated, and must go read more.

We're going to petsmart on Monday to get the boys groomed, so I might just have to try that out. Forty bucks is tottttally worthwhile even if my pupper would grow out of it in a couple months. :/

Please let us know if yours works, and if (like WHEN) I get one, I'll be sure to offer input as well.

I love this forum. :welcomeani:

• 2 years later...

If you want my advice, do NOT waste your money. Our older dog (a mix we also rescued) is terrified of thunder and fireworks. Bought a thunder shirt and it didn't help much at all. what worked best was letting him sleep under our bed. it might work for your dog, though, but keep the receipt.

• 1 year later...

Did a search and found this thread, so reviving it rather than start a new one

My wife bought a Thunder Shirt yesterday for our Shih Tzu. She hates to be left alone and is very excited when we get home. We have tried the ignore her method, but it doesnt seem to help at all. She is as bad as she was when we got her as a pup 3 years ago. She does calm down in about 5 minutes, but we hate to see her so upset and wound up. Thunderstorms do not bother her, we dont get many here, that may be why.....They say these are also good for separation anxiety

Anyways, we put the shirt on her yesterday about 10 minutes before we went out, took her outside to pee, brought her in and then left to go out to dinner...Were gone about 1 1/2 hrs. She didnt seem any better when we got home, her usual wound up self. I figure we cant expect this thing to work immediately and will give it some time. The salesman at Pets Smart says we have 45 days to return it if it doesnt work. I just posted to revive the conversation about these and see what others results are from the shirts.
BTW....we have no intention of drugging our dog. Not judging, just saying.

• Like 1
Shihtzumummy2

I got one for my little Bob about two years ago. It didn't work, he is afraid of strangers takes him a while to accept them. He is not afraid of animals, just humans. He doesn't like anything new around here. We kept it for a week, he hated it and would not settle down, it just bothered him too much. We found he was more nervous with it than without. We got our money back on return. He is much better now but still a rather anxious wee boy. Now we tend to use diversional therapy, if we can get his attention, when he is upset. He will calm down eventually, but he runs and hides if someone rushes to greet him. We try not to let it happen, but some people just don't listen. We tell them to ignore him until he is happy, but some think they know it all about every dog on the planet!!!!!!

• Like 4
missy dawn

we got Maisey one for her fear of storms.didnt work at all.we returned it back to pet smart.

sheila-shih tzu dreamer

• Like 3
Jo-Anne

I have a friend who bought it because her furbaby was afraid of fireworks. It didn`t work and she returned it also. My furbaby is my shadow day and night, so is never alone.

Only tip I can give you if you are going out without Molly, leave her something behind from yourself that you have worn, like a sweater, socks t-shirt1210495kf8317ulkk.gif

• Like 5
Jo-Anne

I got one for my little Bob about two years ago. It didn't work, he is afraid of strangers takes him a while to accept them. He is not afraid of animals, just humans. He doesn't like anything new around here. We kept it for a week, he hated it and would not settle down, it just bothered him too much. We found he was more nervous with it than without. We got our money back on return. He is much better now but still a rather anxious wee boy. Now we tend to use diversional therapy, if we can get his attention, when he is upset. He will calm down eventually, but he runs and hides if someone rushes to greet him. We try not to let it happen, but some people just don't listen. We tell them to ignore him until he is happy, but some think they know it all about every dog on the planet!!!!!!

I had the exact same thing with one of my shepards Ellie. Just like Bob he was afraid of people, specially running or coming towards him. It is a difficult problem though. Did Bob always had this problem even when he was a puppy?

Edited by Jo-Anne
  • Like 4

Little update....We have had the coat/shirt a couple of days now...Have had her wear it a bit when we took her outside etc. Today, I was at work and the wife had to go out for about 4 hrs....She said when she got home, Molly was quite hyper but seemed to settle down quicker than usual...and was just excited, not the whining and crying as usual. Hopefully, it will improve more....but personally, I cant see her ever being totally accepting of us leaving her.

We are going to Vegas for 6 days this week and Molly will stay with our daughter....Should be a test for Molly, our daughter and us......She has never been away from us more than a few hours......ever

• Like 3