Panda has Developed an Issue

Claudiabehr

A couple of months ago, I took Panda is for what looked like a UTI. She took antibiotic, looked better and then symptoms returned. Tried same antibiotic again, and it did nothing. Then took her in for a sterile sample, which was sent off to be cultured and came back..............

CLEAR! no bacteria. So she is squatting outside every few minutes, leaving nothing, she has twice stood on my bed and peed right in front of me, so no more bedtime for Panda except in her kennel and otherwise, seems normal. The vet, when I explained the relationship between Panda and Cadbury, said it sounded like marking behavior as Panda acts very territorial with toys, food and me and suggested I try Fluoxetine (otherwise known as Prozac) which I don't want to do at this point. What I've been doing with the two of them is refraining from "interfering" in their fighting and she also suggested I begin to break it up when I see it happen, which I'm doing. So I thought I'd give it a week to see if there's any change.

Does this sound like anything you've seen before? Both are females and argue incessantly and about 2 or 3 times a week, it breaks out into what seems like fairly serious aggression, although no blood or injuries. Panda wants to be dominant. Cadbiury wants to be dominant. Both refuse to bow to the other.

I'm not of the let-them-fight-it-out school. I figure, if the dogs want to be dominant, I will be dominant and they will both subjugate.

My daughter had a boxer and a pit bull who were allowed to jockey for dominance, and they ended up having to rehome the pit. I was aghast at watching these two big dogs pitching fits with each other, and while nobody ever had injuries, I knew there would soon be child(ren) in the home and tried to convince my daughter to take the reins. The pit continued to grow more aggressive but was sweet as chocolate pie after being rehomed with an elderly lady and her grown son who was her caregiver.

I would strongly consider NILIF and intervening when they scuffle.

I'm not of the let-them-fight-it-out school. I figure, if the dogs want to be dominant, I will be dominant and they will both subjugate.

now that sounds like excellent advice to me.

when i had my beagle, my father's brittany would fight with him constantly. to the point that they couldn't be in the same room because the brittany was bigger and would leave him all bloodied. we eventually had to have the brittany sent off to a trainer for a few weeks to learn how to be nice. it was so amazing once she came back home. although we could still see in her facial expressions that she wanted to tear into my beagle, she knew better.

so i gotta agree with paula that it should be broken up and let both know that YOU are the dominant factor in the house.

Edited by xr4man