Inquiring minds want to know.

MisterMom

Does your Shitzu leave dead spots in the yard where it / they pee? None of my 4 do.

ShihTzuholic

I didn't seem like it in the summer. However, now that the snow is melted and the grass isn't growing yet, it seems like the pee spots are kind of starting to kill the grass.

luvmybabies

I have always been told that female dog's urine will do this. It seems to be true around here as my Golden is a girl and leaves big pee spots and my oldest Maltese is a girl and leaves the little ones. Our lawn would be a real mess in the spring when we had our Lab too as she was also a girl...great big spots all over. It would take most of the summer to fill back in!!!

No. In fact, the neighbors' side-yard is a beautiful lush bright green thanks to my dogs--the girls AND the boys.

i have a giant bare spot in my front yard from my rottweiler. she would always go in the same spot and she would go a LOT.

Urine is a fertilizer, but too much will cause burns, like if they pee in the same spot, or if its really hot and it doesnt get soaked in, it bakes on instead. I have been told to prevent them you should hose the grass down after your dog pees. Also it will be bad in the spring because it accumulates in the snow and all hits at once. The reason it is usually associated with girl dogs is because boys usually pee on things, rather than squat...Gage on the other hand pees in the same spot several times a day all.winter.long, and its right dead centre of the front yard. Thankfully they have their own yard and its got holes and craters from my male Shiba, Tonka trying to stay cool in the summer so the lack of grass isnt really a big deal.