Standing while pottying? Need advice!

Hi. My one and a half year old Coby squats while he pees. He has started a habit of while he's squatting--in mid stream he will stand and continue to pee...The problem is, this gets his belly wet, and and any t-shirt or harness that he has on wet also.

Any others experience this? Any tips on how to discourage this behavior? I would love to hear your input!

Thanks...Angela

luvmybabies

My Connor always stands and pees. Don't think he ever lifts his leg, at least not in the house on the potty pads. He is over two years old and I love this. His brother, Benji, also did this till almost a year old when I took him to a show and he got all excited at all the other dogs' potty smells and up came the leg. He still mostly stands and pees in the house on the pads but if I put him outside he lifts his leg. I think that Connor was neutered fairly early (7 mo.) and just never did the leg bit. Benji is his half brother and idolizes Connor so i think he copied him. He is for show so is not neutered and I guess when his hormones really got raging he just had to leave his own "message" for all the other dogs. I think I'm really fortunate he just stands and pees in the house. As for the belly he has to have it washed every night with a self rinse shampoo between baths (every 5-8 days) as his hair is very long at over a year old. Connor is cut fairly short around his middle (cocker or lamb cut?) so doesn't get himself wet so if your dog has long hair you may consider this kind of cut to solve the problem....only the legs are long and the tail and the face are cut to whatever length you wish.....Connor's is fairly longish. I think you will find most boys revert to lifting their legs in the end (Connor seems to be an exception) and there is little you can do but wash his fur and any garments you use on him. Sorry no better answer than that. I think even if you neutered him it is now too late to change that behaviour.

Carolina Girl

I had to come back to this posting because I was a little confused at first. When you said that he stands up midstream, I was thinking that you meant standing on his back legs! I don't know why I thought that.....So, basically, he squats to pee.....and while he's peeing, he "unsquats" (back up to all four legs)? My Ozzy does this. He squats. Starts peeing. And while peeing, he starts walking off. As if he's done, but he's still peeing. It would be better for him to be a leg lifter because he also gets the pee on his tummy, and even on his front legs. Mowgli lifts his leg and never makes a mess.....Wish I had a solution for ya. I hardly ever put shirts on Ozzy for this very reason.....

Seastar

That's kind of a rotten problem! Get some baby wipes to wipe his belly off after each walk.

ParadiseTzu

We have a neighboring dog, a black lab that comes around some and evidently Sassy Mae thinks he is cool and so imitates him. She hikes her leg to pee now and sometimes when she wants to pee on a bush will hike it up high, looks just like a male dog.

Shredder

Shredder is now a leg lifter... just started doing that on our walks about 3 weeks ago. He has to lift his leg on every tree! He doesn't do it in the house (thank goodness) or in the backyard. When he goes in the backyard he stands with one leg slightly lifted... looks funny.. good thing though he doesn't get it all over himself ...

Sandra = I bet that looks sooo funny watching Sassy Mae lift her leg.... girls don't do that, do they???

ParadiseTzu

Well, evidently nobody told Sassy Mae that girls dont need to lift their legs. She says that if Dude (male black lab) does it, then she wants to. And it is funny.

Brees does that from time to time, but he always squats to pee and shows no interest in leg lifting no matter how many dogs he sees doing it. He never gets any on himself though.

emmasmom

Shredder is now a leg lifter... just started doing that on our walks about 3 weeks ago. He has to lift his leg on every tree! He doesn't do it in the house (thank goodness) or in the backyard. When he goes in the backyard he stands with one leg slightly lifted... looks funny.. good thing though he doesn't get it all over himself ...

Sandra = I bet that looks sooo funny watching Sassy Mae lift her leg.... girls don't do that, do they???

Our little Gabby will squat to pee, but then cocks one leg up! :) It's kind of cute! :jumping:

Claudiabehr

It's kind of a wierd idea, Angela, but I was told by a trainer to do this with Panda because she was eating Cadbury's poop on walks before I could get to them. He told me to bring tiny treats and as soon as Cadbury squatted tp poop, start giving them to Panda so that she would associate Cadbury pooping with getting yummy treats. It worked like a charm. I'm thinking what you might try with Coby is to give him little treats as soon as he squats to distract him from standing and see if this won't work.

• 5 weeks later...
aliberrii

Our little Gabby will squat to pee, but then cocks one leg up! ;) It's kind of cute! :)

Sweetly does this too. :) She has a hard time keeping her balance as well, so she will quiver and the leg she has in the air shakes.. too funny!

Chloe's Mama

Emily (my late dachsund/terrier mix) would kinda lift her leg when she sqatted to pee. Almost like she was trying to keep from peeing on that leg.

• 3 months later...

Our little Gabby will squat to pee, but then cocks one leg up! ;) It's kind of cute! :doh:

Sweetly does this too. :) She has a hard time keeping her balance as well, so she will quiver and the leg she has in the air shakes.. too funny!

My chihuahua mix girl does this too. She lifts one leg when she pees...or poo's. I just thought I had a strange dog! LOL! :throb:

Edited by Laura&Lucky