Rain and Potty Training!

Sunday, it rained at our house from the time we woke up until we went to sleep... and then continued until noon Monday.

Chloe HATES walking on wet grass... doesn't mind the actual rain, baths (except her face), or the occasional swim when she sees a water bowl (she is bottle trained and doesn't understand the concept of a bowl).

So, she would hop on the grass long enough to pee, because she is pretty indiscriminate about pee spots. BUT she would not search for a poop spot. So, as soon as she finally found the opportunity, she pooped inside. She has been doing so well with potty training, and avoiding wet grass is her only issue.

Does anyone else have problems/solutions for this?

At least yours will pee outside! Brees refuses to walk off the concrete when it's wet outside and won't leave the house period if it actively raining unless I go out with him but he won't leave my side long enough then to use the restroom. We resorted to potty pads for rainy days.

• 3 weeks later...

Sunday, it rained at our house from the time we woke up until we went to sleep... and then continued until noon Monday.

Chloe HATES walking on wet grass... doesn't mind the actual rain, baths (except her face), or the occasional swim when she sees a water bowl (she is bottle trained and doesn't understand the concept of a bowl).

So, she would hop on the grass long enough to pee, because she is pretty indiscriminate about pee spots. BUT she would not search for a poop spot. So, as soon as she finally found the opportunity, she pooped inside. She has been doing so well with potty training, and avoiding wet grass is her only issue.

Does anyone else have problems/solutions for this?

My 2 little dogs don't like it when it rains either. They'll hold it until they just have to go and then they'll reluctantly go out, staying as close to the side of the house as possible - where it's dry, and do their thing. Lucky, my boy shih tzu, likes for one of us to stand at the door or on the porch while he's out pottying.

My chihuahua mix occasionally tries to be sneaky and stay in to avoid the 'icky wet stuff' and she has had a few accidents. When that got more frequent I would make her go out and stay out until she pottied. She caught on pretty quick! "Uh oh. If I don't go pee mommy won't let me back in the house... ;) I hate rain!"

At least yours will pee outside! Brees refuses to walk off the concrete when it's wet outside and won't leave the house period if it actively raining unless I go out with him but he won't leave my side long enough then to use the restroom. We resorted to potty pads for rainy days.

Sounds like mine. I have to go out in the rain to coax them out sometimes, unless they're about to burst. Silly (fur)kids.

As for a solution? I haven't found one. Except for locking them out until they go and then praise and let them back in? LOL Sounds cruel, but it worked for me.

Edited by Laura&Lucky

I take mine out with their rain coats on, on a leash & I'm holding a big golf umbrella over them as much as possible & we do NOT come in until they go. They caught on pretty quick!!! ;)

loewenthal.anna

Lolly doesn't "DO" wet grass either -- unfortunately she also learned to potty outside in NYC so she has ZERO hesitation about peeing/pooping on the sidewalk. . . which, you can imagine, has it's own set of pluses and minuses.

We use washable potty pads in the house, which is not really a "solution" so much as a "compromise" but it works. We work long hours and cannot get home to let them out every day so, regardless of whether we are home or not (or whether it's wet out, cold out, rainy, hot, whatever) there IS an acceptable alternative to just holding it forever. There's ONE pad (I cannot stand houses where they've made every room a potty by putting pads everywhere!) in the kitchen and it never moves and all 4 know that's where to go to do business.

Not a great alternative, but I feel your pain just the same!

Shredder will go outside in the rain but really doesn't like it. My problem is that he comes and goes as he pleases through a doggie door on the sliding screen door, but if I close the door because of rain, he will sometimes "go" in front of the door. I was wondering how you train a 2yr old to use the pads when he can't get outside?

I would also love to know if it is possible to train a 2 yr old to use potty pads. Molly uses my living room rug if we don't get to her in time. The pads are down but she does not know what to do with them. She will sit on them if she has to go out though!!

ShihtzuBeauty

LOL mine don't care for it either or the snow and even though daddy takes the time to shovel a path in the winter mine look at us like we're Nuts for making them go out, or I should say attempt to go out 'cause they would much rather stay in, thank goodness for the pads!