Too smart for his own good!

Reading all the housebreaking threads, so decided to bring small treats outside with me to reward Teddy when he does his business outside. The little stinker has quite the nose on him. First I stuffed the bag in my pocket. All he would do when we went outside was sit in front of me and beg for a treat. :melissa: Finally decided to leave the bag inside and take one treat with me. Now these are tiny, tiny treats.

He is still doing the same thing!!! I swear he can smell the treat in my pocket so I guess no more treats outside. He doesn't do this for my husband, but then again he does not have treats in his pocket!!!

Tommy is giving us fits with housebreaking. Avalon is fine, but Tommy insists on waiting till time to come in to poop. And it's so cold out we can't just sit out there with him till he delivers the goods. Maybe he'll grow some brains soon. Otherwise he is a little doll. By the way, Pat, both of them weigh 4.5 lbs.

4.5 lbs. Oh my. Guess Teddy is the chunkie!!!! But he has slowed down the amount he wants to eat so maybe, just maybe he won't end up weighing 20 lbs.!!

If I see him pacing back and forth really fast, I know to whisk him outside to poop. Otherwise he just goes on the family room rug!! And it has been really mushy lately, which I am sure is my fault so have monitored the amount he is being fed much more closely. He drinks water a lot, so (not sure I am supposed to do this) but have put down puppy pads and he almost always goes to them to pee.

And believe me it is freezing here. I had to be extremely careful carrying him down the steps as they were completely iced over!!

ETA; This sounded like complete frustration but even when I clean up his messes, he does something that brings a smile to my face. I just love my Teddy Bear!!!! And he has finally stopped chewing on my baseboards (almost :melissa:

Edited by MissMolly

Yeah, his brother and sister are consuming my table, but it's no great loss. They stop when they stop. But sorry about your baseboards. So glad you are happy with him!

Paula,

when you say consuming your table do you mean eating a lot or literally consuming your table. Because Teddy likes table legs also.

Chewing the wood. It's delicious.

luvmybabies

I hope Teddy, Tommy and Avalon don't chew as vigorously or for as long as Benji. He's over a year and a half and he is slowing down a bit but is still chewing. He has chewed all the rungs on four dining table chairs plus anything else that is made of wood. The other day I was cleaning off my sewing table and put down my wooden spool holder and by the time I went to put it back two of the rows had been chewed on the end! I used to take him everywhere when he was younger to cut down on the damage as he never chewed in the car. O well we have lots of "souvenirs of Benji's puppy days!

Bought the bitter apple and haven't seen him chewing anything inappropriate lately. (except Molly!) But I will have it when I need it.

luvmybabies

Never even slowed him down!

Teddy used to drag his mother across the floor by her tail when she was nursing the other pups. It really built up his endurance.

JasperandAkira'smom

Do you have to respray the bitter apple and if so how often?

Yes, till they finally stop. The stuff is godawful. I've tried it, just a tiny bit, and it is TERRIBLE. But then we know that dogs have some crazy opinions about what tastes good, not bad, and bad.

So Paula Teddy has even more "endurance" now. He has dragged Molly by her tail across the carpet!!!! She was not pleased

JasperandAkira'smom

Thank you Paula, I will try this stuff with my two.

Uh, sorry about that, Pat. :)

Zinnia puppies tend to do their own thing. I love that!

Zinnia puppies tend to do their own thing. I love that!

Sorry. There will be no video. Molly has learned. If Teddy even tries to touch her tail, she whips around and pushes him with her head or just squirms out of the way. She won't let that happen again!