My Dog Cries When I Walk Her

Hello All,

My 5-year old Shih Tzu Nyla has become overly sensitive (I guess that's how I'd put it) when I walk her. This has been a development over the last month. I call her over to put her harness on and she creeps over in fear. I comfort her and play with her before placing the harness on her but still she is reluctant to want to go outside. Once outside every car sound, bicyclist, truck and even her own shadow scares her to the point that she tries to run the other direction, or she'll lay flat on the ground in fear.

I have tried herbal calming liquids before walking her but nothing seems to be working. I am looking for a new vet as mine is useless. Does anyone know what can be going on? Has anyone experienced this behavior with their dog at some point? Any advice? Please help!

-Lexington

Did something scary happen to her? My Jessie hates walking in town because she is afraid of the huge noisy trucks--it's a small town and the trucks take up nearly the whole road. She likes walking elsewhere, though.

Nothing has happened while walking her. She has always been somewhat afraid of loud noises even in the house but it was never an issue. Now, it's almost as if she dreads being walked. I've bought wee-wee pads for her to go in the house but I prefer her going outside.

Do you know of any anxiety, or calming aid that can possibly help?

It does sound like she's having some real fear issues. I'll look into this and get back to you.