Is there always a dominant dog?

So our future puppy will be born in about a month at which point I'll need to put down my deposit.... I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing but getting another dog. The main reason I want a second dog is so that Riley will have an animal friend to play w/ and hang out w/ when he's home alone. And I also really want another for myself too :thankyou:

Is there always a dominant dog w/ a pair? I have a feeling that Riley may take on the more submissive role. He meets new dogs often and many times he'll lie down on his back which I think is a submissive position. I just hope that this new dog is nice to him. I remember my sister had a Bichon and a Shih Tzu . The Shih Tzu came second, they were both neutered males. and the Shih tzu was not very nice to her Bichon. Once I dog sat and he wouldn't even let the Bichon eat. Is a Shih Tzu a more dominant breed? (Riley is shih tzu/bichon). According to the breeder the Mom & Dad of our upcoming puppy both have excellent temperament.

Dogs are pack animals and for them there must always be a hierarchy. If you have more than one dog, they WILL sort out who is the boss.

Too add that yes the dogs will always have a dominant, it is most important that you are the highest on the totem pole. If your dogs know you are the boss then they will have less reason to fight between themselves. Also spay and neuter, done it both ways and altered dogs are easier to manipulate lol.

Good to know! Yeah, I need to work on being a better pack leader.... I have a habit of spoiling and babying my pets. I need to work on that w/ the next one.

storyweaver

I'm guilty of spoiling Theodore as well, Jennifer. As a new owner, it took me awhile to get it. One thing I've learned is to make him work for treats and food. He seems to be submissive especially when I became more consistent in my rules.

Guilty of spoiling and babying as well. Beau always behaves better for my husband....he says its because Beau KNOWS hubby is the pack leader whereas with me Beau is the pack leader. Been trying to work on that....kinda hard when I'm cradling him in my lap!

Both mine are babied, they will sleep with me if hubby isnt home, Bristol sleeps on my lap, but when I say go they leave, when I say down they get down, when I say drop it mostly it gets dropped (Bristol needs some work on this, but last night she did drop the chicken bone after the cat stole it), mostly I use NILF training.

storyweaver

Julie, I think we are all guilty of spoiling and babying our kids especially when they look at you with those expressive eyes.

Tina, I love the Nothing in Life is Free training also. Since I started it, I noticed that Theodore was more respectful. I'm still working on some of his training, i.e. face touching and "leave it" command.

it's hard not to spoil our adorable little furballs :) Not only does Riley sleep in our bed, but on the top my pillow above my head! I always tell people that I'd be the worse possible owner of a dog like a German Sheppard or Rottweiler. I'm not nearly strict enough. I will work on this though. Especially when the new puppy arrives. Thankfully, Riley is very very sweet and loves every dog/person he meets. My Bichon I had before him was a different story.... He was great w/ us but an absolute nightmare in public and w/ other dogs. He had a BAD case of small dog syndrome and I know it was my fault (and my parents too) for letting him get away w/ too much.

Julie, I think we are all guilty of spoiling and babying our kids especially when they look at you with those expressive eyes.

EXACTLY!

He was great w/ us but an absolute nightmare in public and w/ other dogs.

^^This is Beau! He gets along great with my dad's tzu and other family dogs but in public......meeting dogs on walks...he goes nuts! And that's the #2 reason why I only have one furbaby (#1 being hubby doesn't want another one).

So going back to your original question, Beau would probably be the dominant (or at least try really hard :) )

storyweaver

He was great w/ us but an absolute nightmare in public and w/ other dogs.

^^This is Beau! He gets along great with my dad's tzu and other family dogs but in public......meeting dogs on walks...he goes nuts!

And cats! Oh, this is one of the things Theodore still needs to work on. Not to mention the trip to the groomers. Oh my! He was really such a little stinker. I'm slowly working on socializing him on touching his face which he is getting better a little bit, but he needs to work on. He freaks out when he sees the scissors and the clippers. So...I'm slowly, patiently, and consistently working on these issues.

By the way, here's the link on Nothing in Life is Free. There's actually a lot of info about it, but this is what I used.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

I hope that helps. I'm glad Riley is a sweet dog. Good luck with your new one. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Thanks for letting me know about the NILF training! Exactly what we'll need :)

Thanks for the link, Helenita! I'm going to check it out.

• 3 months later...
betty5762

thanks for that link also,never heard of it before but reading it makes perfect sense,thankyou carys

I have subscribed to NLIF since before it had a name, lol. At my house, I am the boss...the dogs know I'm the boss...and they behave for me. With my husband it's an entirely different story: he lets them get away with anything and everything and they don't listen to a word he says. Are my dogs spoiled? Yes, absolutely. Do they have behavior issues? With the exception of Katy (whom we adopted from an abusive home at 9 months, and hers a minimal), absolutely not. Amongst themselves, the girls will argue and Katy and Kelly went through a period of daily fights for the Alpha bitch slot. Otherwise, it's pretty peaceful around here.