potty training 12 week puppy

I have a puppy who still pees and poop in the house. I have her in a create with parts of the kitchen gated for her. She pees in the training pad and once in a while pees on the kitchen floor, she is still learning. For the most part, pees on the pad. She notify me when she needs to poop by making lots of noise. When I take her out for potty, she always pee and poop in her spot. however, When I give her freedom in the house she would poop and pee on the carpet, without making any noise, like she would in her crate.

I never gave her a treat or praise after she is done doing her business, my mistake. I have a clicker, so do I click and treat after she is completely done peeing and pooping or after she pee, click and treat, and click and treat after she poop also?

storyweaver

Well, to be honest, I didn't use the clicker when I was potty training mine. I just said, "Good pee" after he peed and then treat. Or if Theodore pooped, I said, "Good poop," and treat. If you prefer to use the clicker, you can click after she's done peeing or pooping and then treat. If I give a treat, it's usually about the size of a pencil eraser. It's better to treat after they poo or pee so they know that it's good either way.

I would still confine your puppy in an area until she is completely housebroken. You've mentioned that she is still learning, and puppies really don't have control of their bodily functions yet. So far I think you are on the right track so just keep at it. Good luck. Keep us posted.

JasperandAkira'smom

Just what Helenita said. I know it is tough but it will get better just hang in there and be consistant.

Pretty much what Helenita and Nikki said! You should take her out every couple of hours consistently. Consistency is the key. I didn't use a clicker either.....he got praise and/or treats for desired behavior.

I would take her out in the morning before I go to work and she always pee and poop for me. Then I go home and take her out around 9 and she would pee. I get off of work at 4 and take her out. She would either pee and then poop or just pee. During the 9-4 gap, I place a pee pad and there would always be two puddle of pee. I'm not sure when she went pee during those times. If she poop when I take her out after I get home from work, she doesn't go again until the next morning before work. Also, I would take her out a couple hours before bedtime, just in case she needs to go poop, but she just pee. Whenever I take her out, she does her business, and I come right back in the house. Want to teach her, outside is potty time not play time.

Those are the times I take her out. If she needs to pee when I am home with her, there is always a pee pad, which she uses. Occasionally, she misses the pee pad, but pee close to the edge of it. Am I on the right path to housebreaking zoey? Should I be using the pee pad when I am home?

Thanks for everyone help. This is my first dog ever and so not sure what I am doing.

Edited by zeroburnz3
storyweaver

Want to teach her, outside is potty time not play time.

After pottying, give her plenty of praises once you get inside so she knows that it's all good.

Occasionally, she misses the pee pad, but pee close to the edge of it. Am I on the right path to housebreaking zoey? Should I be using the pee pad when I am home?

Is your pee pad only in one area? I remember that when I tried to potty train Theodore, the only time I ever used a potty pad was when I had to leave work and he was just in one area (the laundry room). One reason for that was because I didn't want to confuse him that it's okay to pee all over the house. On the other hand, I never allowed him in other areas during his potty training era. It's just a pain for me to clean, and I have carpet. When it's time to for him to potty, I took him outside. So that he knew that the only area he was allowed to go to the bathroom was outside. I used a real enthusiastic voice to encourage him, treated and praised him like he's the best dog in the world.

One suggestion is that you can smear some of her waste on the pad so she knows that's her bathroom area. If you catch her in the act, bring her over to the pad and let her finish. When she is done, give her a treat and praise, praise, praise.

Now I'm not sure if you just want Zoey to do her business strictly outside. I live in an area where it's warmer so it's easy for me to just take him out for potty breaks. Some live in colder areas and may not have that option all the time. I don't know how they potty trained their dogs so they might have some better suggestions.

Don't worry. I think you are doing fine. I am first time owner for a puppy as well so I'm still learning, too.

Edited by storyweaver

I live southern ca, so I would like for her to strictly potty outside. I do have the pee pad in one area and 95 percent of the time she pee on the pad, but the other 5 percent, she misses the target and pee close to the edge of the pad. Some of those miss pee hit the pad but most of it is on my kitchen floor and I have to clean it up.

I notice today when I got home from work and took her out to go potty. She went poop but no pee, but 15 minutes later, when I took her in and place her inside her play pen, she went pee on the pad. I am not sure if I am confusing her to poop outside but pee inside. I never see her poop in the house, but always pee when I set her free. Am I doing something wrong?

storyweaver

I do have the pee pad in one area and 95 percent of the time she pee on the pad, but the other 5 percent, she misses the target and pee close to the edge of the pad. Some of those miss pee hit the pad but most of it is on my kitchen floor and I have to clean it up.

Well, as long as she pees on the pad more, I think that's fine. I'd be more concerned if she misses it more often. It's happened with Theodore in the past. I just don't make a big deal out of it and clean it up. Maybe you can try smearing some of the pee in the middle of the pad or move her if you catch her in the act. To be honest, I didn't correct Theodore when he peed at the edge of the pad because after awhile, he wasn't using the pads. He knew immediately that it was time to potty when I took him outside. I was fortunate that he caught on quickly. However, some shih tzu are just difficult to potty train, and some are not. It really depends. Zoey looks like she's getting a hang of it.

I notice today when I got home from work and took her out to go potty. She went poop but no pee, but 15 minutes later, when I took her in and place her inside her play pen, she went pee on the pad. I am not sure if I am confusing her to poop outside but pee inside. I never see her poop in the house, but always pee when I set her free. Am I doing something wrong?

How long were you guys outside? I still take Theodore out for 20-25 minutes. Sometimes 30. I would advise not to go inside until she is completely done pottying. I don't know if the others have any better advice. I know it's a pain, but hang in there.

Edited by storyweaver
JasperandAkira'smom

I just put my pee mats down when I leave. I make sure they have done their business before we come back in. If we have to come back in before everyone has done their business I take them back out in 15 min to 1/2 hour later.

Are you in an area where you can walk her a little? If so, try walking her a bit to see if she'll go. Stay outside with her until she pees; don't bring her in until she does. It may take a while, like Helenita said.

• 2 weeks later...
zeroburnz3

update on zoey:

She is doing good with her potty training. Whenever I take her out to go potty, she always go poop or pee, and I would click and giver her a treat afterward. I notice that zoey is missing the pad when she pee inside. She pee on the edge of the pad, but most of it is on my kitchen floor. Whenever I change the pad to a new pad she never misses, but as soon as she pee on the pad twice, its a hit or miss afterward with her. I guess the pad is dirty for her and she either wants to pee on it or not.

I change the pad every morning, but by evening the pad would have two pee puddle and then if she need to pee again, its either a hit or a miss. Why is she doing this? I try to take her out to potty when I can, but i'm not able to sometimes.

Any help please.

JasperandAkira'smom

I don't know if this will help but my two do not like to walk anywhere where this is pee or poop. Maybe Zoey is acting like my two. I had to change to a big square of tile to use because they did not like to use the same pad and they also started tearing it up. I have no issues with them now.

zeroburnz3

I think I am going to crate zoey. I just bought a crate for her and it will come in a few days.This will give be a better idea of when she needs to potty. My questions is, when do I give her water? Do I place the water dish in her crate? I know to give them water 24/7, how do I do this with a crate?

I appreciate everyones reply so far!

Many of us use a water bottle such as you'd have for bunnies. They work very well with crates, but the dog has to learn how to use it--not difficult, though.

• 2 weeks later...
zeroburnz3

here is an update on how zoey is doing:

I have her in the crate for two weeks now and today she pee in her crate for the first time. I have been taking her out for every three hours, but there are times she doesn't go so I put her back in her crate, and wait for the next three hours to take her out. Every time she goes, she gets to play for half an hour, then put her back in her crate, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right. Do I let her play after she pee? I let her play after she poop or pee, maybe I should take her out to play after every pee.

pooping has never been a problem, just peeing in the house. I have zoey for two months now and feel I have gotten now where in her house training.