Potty training...9 weeks old

poncho62

We have had Molly just over a week now, she is 9 1/2 weeks old. She sleeps in a playpen with a pad at one end. She will pee during the night, which is expected. She pooped the 1st night in there, but has not since. She will not poop in the house, always waits until we take her out. She is however peeing in the house. We had a pee pad by the front door, which she has used. She also is going on the carpet. We take show her and take her right outside when we catch her doing this. Questions

Are we expecting too much at 9 weeks?

Do you think she is understanding the showing her what she has done yet?

Are we doing this right? We havent done this in 30 years and the last dog was a German Shepard who spent a lot of time outdoors

Now that the carpet is soiled, so to speak, is there something we can spray on it to discourage her from doing it there?..I was thinking Frebreeze or something like that, or will that harm her?

FuzzyPants

For training check out Ian Dunbar's website and also training video's by Kikopup on Youtube.

Dog's have a 1 second attention span so showing them after the fact is pointless. You have to catch them in the act and distract them, take them out and then praise/treat them for going outside or on the piddle pad.

For cleaning up the mess you can use plain distilled white vinegar but I think an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle Advanced formula works best.

Edited by FuzzyPants
MissMolly

Nature's Miracle!! We have gone through lots of this stuff. Teddy was ten weeks when he came home with us. Unless I took him out ever 1/2 hour he would go on the pee pad or the carpet! We called him Sir Pees A Lot. LOL.

He is now 5 1/2 months and still has the occasional accident, but for the most part goes outside.

mr.coffee

I think, based on my experience, that bladder control doesn't come as easy as bowel control. Get a clicker and some good treats, a bottle of Nature's Miracle, and be patient & consistent.

-m