How to potty train a senior?

Maddybaby

I got my rescue girl for 10 days now and she is doing fine overall. Her problem is just that she obviously never really was properly potty trained. Even at the foster place the woman just put a puppy training pad out in her room, and occasionally let Maddy out.

She also is absolutely not leash trained, which we are slowly making some progress with.

Maddy doesn't have many accidents in the house, but I wish she wouldn't have any at all (except for age related accidents).

When I let her out, she needs me to go with her. That's fine. We stand there and I keep telling her to go pee pee, and then praise her a lot when she finally does it.

The issue is though, she doesn't really know what to do outside. Then we go back in, and an hour later I find either a tiny puddle or some tootsie rolls on the carpet.

Over night, she sleeps in our bedroom, not in a crate. She never had any accidents at night. In fact, Sunday morning she woke us up at 6am, scratching on the inside of the bedroom door to actually let us know that she needed to go. I got my robe on and went out with her and she did her business - as always followed by a lot of praise. I was so proud of her!

But my biggest problem is to get her to GO outside. 75% of the time she will stand at the open door and just look. I try to go ahead and sometimes she follows, but most of the time she won't, or won't even go near the door. I can't keep the door open all the time because I have cats that aren't allowed outside.

I can pick her up and take her out, but she is not used to being picked up or held and tries to avoid this as much as she cans. She is very uncomfortable being held and gets scared.

So I try to not having to drag her little butt out there with "force".

Ideas?

I Love Sam

I think that continuing to praise her when she goes outside and ignore her when she has an accident will help. As far as getting her to go outside, when it is time, I'd lock the cats in another room. Then I'd leave the door open, leash her, and practice going through the door together, giving her big praise and treats for coming out with you. Or, go outside and practice "come" and give her big praise and treats for coming out when called. I'm no dog trainer and I know that sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt. But, that's what I'd try.

Sam won't stay outside without me, either. To get him to go out, I have to open the door and step outside and then he'll come out. He does the same thing to come in. He'll do it, but I have to go first.

Maddybaby

I think that continuing to praise her when she goes outside and ignore her when she has an accident will help. As far as getting her to go outside, when it is time, I'd lock the cats in another room. Then I'd leave the door open, leash her, and practice going through the door together, giving her big praise and treats for coming out with you. Or, go outside and practice "come" and give her big praise and treats for coming out when called. I'm no dog trainer and I know that sounds like a bit of a pain in the butt. But, that's what I'd try.

Sam won't stay outside without me, either. To get him to go out, I have to open the door and step outside and then he'll come out. He does the same thing to come in. He'll do it, but I have to go first.

Your Sam sounds just like Maddy. What drives me nuts with her is when she first comes to the door, looks, and then runs away and jumps up on the couch :)

I guess I will have to lock the cats in the bath room where there's a litter box, because it will take Maddy a little while to go outside Haha

But thanks, I'll definitely try that. She loves her treats, so maybe that will work. Even though to me as a human it seems weird to give someone treats in their "bathroom". :)

Sunlite

I have not had luck with this, but many have... You can try training her to ring a bell (like the kind of small bells on a string) hanging from the door. so she can let you know she needs to go out. Some dogs just don't know how to let you know...and thats the problem.

I Love Sam

Oh yes, recognizing their signs... Sam's sign is to start kicking my hand. Totally odd, but that is his first sign...

I had no luck with bells. He was agraid of them and no amount of treats could get him near them even if i just put them on the floor