Barking and Growling in Crate and Pen

Peanut's Mom

Up until a few days ago, Peanut very rarely barked (I am guessing because he was still very young) however the last few days he has been barking and growling very low when he is in his crate or pen and doesn't want to be. When he does this, do you think it is still for attention--I am assuming that this is not aggression, even though he is growling. Is this still behavior I should ignore? I know he does not have to potty, eat, he has toys, etc.

Does he do this just when he is in his pen on his own, or only when you approach the pen when he is in it?

Peanut's Mom

Only when he is on his own--usually I am somewhere in the room, at least attempting to get things done :P

Some of my dogs growl as a signal they want to be picked up or put down. It is absolutely without aggression. My big dog Betsy would smile and growl to have her belly rubbed.

As Paula said, he's just looking for attention. Be glad he's not howling and whining, lol! He'll stop eventually when he doesn't get the desired result.

Peanut's Mom

Thanks...that is what I thought, it is all just so new to me it is nice to have confirmation!