Strange Nighttime Behavior

Peanut's Mom

Hello--I am hoping that someone here may have some insight, as my husband and I have racked our brains trying to come up for an explanation for Peanut's strange behavior:

for the past 3 nights, he will walk up at around 2am, start fussing a bit in his crate, and soon escalate to whimpering/growling/shrieking/barking. He will go potty on his pad if we take him to it, but will continue after he is re-crated and it does not seem that is why he is being a little terror. He has been sleeping through the night for around 6 weeks now, with maybe just a little fussing after he is crated following his 6 am walk until around 830 am, so this is very unlike him.

Now, the only thing that we think might be the culprit is that he is being treated for bloody diarrhea...probably from an intestinal parasite, but according to the vet also possibly from a food switch that we had just completed when the loose stools started. He is being treated with metronidazole with breakfast and lunch, and panacur sprinkled on his dinner--maybe they are upsetting his tummy?

Anyway, sorry this is so long but everyone here is so experienced I thought maybe someone would have some advice--we tried just letting him into his exercise pen after like an hour of shrieking last night, and he kept the noise up for another 2 or so hours straight! Other than that we have been trying to ignore him, but we live in an apartment building next to a non dog lover, so I am so nervous he is going to turn us in a for a noise violation as the building is very strict. ...I have not yet tried the pennies in a can but that may well be my next try..

Thanks in advance!

I may have started with an upset digestive system, but my guess is that after the first time he fussed and you "rescued" him Peanut learned that if he makes enough noise he for long enough he will be let out and get attention. To nip it in the bud I would strongly recommend the pennies-in-the-can method. I got to the point many years ago where I can hit the offender's crate from across a pitch-dark room every time. It works every time, too.

Peanut's Mom

So we tried the pennies method last night, and it seemed to scare the poo out of him...I am guessing this is the intended result? Do you continue ignoring after the shake, or do you then praise for being quiet?I tried to look online but different people say both ways, so I am curious what work for you...thanks!

When I shake or throw the can I add an emphatic "NO!" as I do it. After that I ignore the dog. I have heard all kinds of arguements about giving positive reinforcement if the dog is quiet, but in my experience I have found that doing so just confuses the dog and encourages him/her to start up again to get attention.

In other words, if it ain't broke...don't fix it. You have got the desired behavior.

Peanut's Mom

Thanks...we have been keeping up with this and have already (knock on wood) noticed a decrease in barking in just a few days, and not a peep during the nights! Thanks again!