New puppy potty training help!

Hi-

I searched the net, and found this forum. I have a 12 week old shih tzu that we got a week ago. Our old dog was a boxer, so this is our first small dog.

We fell for the shih tzu because they are so cute, and don't shed!!

After having the boxer we decided a non shedding dog was best.

We are crating him, and he is doing great as far as not complaining about it. He wakes me up in the middle of the night to go out, then goes right back in the crate.

He gets up at 5, and we try putting him back in, but he whines off an on for about an hour so we let him out.

We have an open concept home, so it is not easy to keep him in the kitchen, or in just one room.

We will take him outside, he will pee and poop, but then within 1/2 hour we find pee or poop on the floor in the house.

Any tips? I don't want to crate him while we are home, but I can't have him ruining all of our carpets.

Welcome to Chatter first of all! I know that crating him doesn't sound great while you're home but that is the desired method for puppies. At this age his time out of the crate should be limited to going out to potty and then later a short play time. This will help train him that there is only one place to go. There is another option mentioned on the board that may help. It's the puppy apartment. You may be interested in that. But the crating method will work as he gets older. Dogs can hold there pee for 1 hour per month they are old. There are some great people on the board who can give you better tips and if you search the forums you will find more info.

Edited by GMA

I would use an ex-pen to confine him to a smaller area. When you take him out always take him to the same area and if possible on a leash. Use the same command, such as "Go Potty". Use the same words before you take him out...."Let's go outside to go potty". In time he will learn what you are referencing and know what you want him to do. If you catch him in the act of going in the house, correct him with a stern "NO NO" and take him outside where he should have done his business. Never reprimand after the fact or hit. Belly bands are quite useful too. He is very young but will get it in time. I have a new puppy too. He is 17 weeks old. I am using potty pads and he goes to them most of the time but not always. I have wood and tile floors so accidents are not as much a problem and can easily be cleaned up.Good luck and lots of patience to you and your new baby.

What Tracy said. :)

We recently delivered a second puppy to our dear friends in KY and they refuse to crate...which means they spend a lot of time hauling the puppy outside and then using their SpotBot to clean up the accident, lol! She told me that she was pretty sure their first one (who is now about 14 months old) thought her name was "Outside Peepee" for a good month after they got her. ;) We do crate train everyone and I have never felt it cruel, as it saves a great deal of annoyance to the new parents and it is easy for the puppy to understand. So many puppies end up in shelter due to problems with house-training - with crate training, the puppy learns the proper place to eliminate.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the replies. He is doing much better. He is now sleeping through the night, and only has had a few accidents. I am pretty impressed with him actually as we are in NH, and he made it through the blizzard here without an accident. He loves the snow, and pretty much drives me crazy when I let him out he lays down in it while I get wet....

We have a fenced in backyard so I am waiting for the snow to melt so I can train him to go in a certain spot... Although it looks like we are getting another foot of snow this weekend so that will have to wait a while!

Do any of you have nipping problems? He gets a surge of energy from 7PM to 9PM, and if we are not constantly playing he starts nipping. I play fetch with him for about 1/2 hour, pet him, brush him, etc. By 8:30 I am exhausted and lay in bed with him while I relax to watch a little tv. Most nights he just enjoys the snuggle time, and is very good. But other nights he will start to bite, it doesn't hurt, but I tell him NO firmly. He will bark at me, and nip. If he keeps it up I don't want to throw him in his crate thinking he is being punished, and I don't want to put him on the floor to ignore him as he will then have run of the house.

I am thinking puppy kindergarten(obedience training), but not sure how much that will cost- and if my husband only knew how much has been invested already in the past month lol!

At this age, your baby is teething as well as testing everything and everyone around him. I have always found a gentle pop on the nose with one finger - along with a firm "No bite!" to be effective, although you may have to repeat several times and they DO tend to forget from one day to the next. With firm and loving guidance, that will improve. Puppy enthusiasm is adorable, but letting them "get away with murder" isn't fair to you OR to your puppy. Our Adele - just turned 6 months - will still occasionally get so excited just about LIFE that she will start chewing on some part or other of us, and one quick correction simply reminds her that it's a no-no, lol.

• Like 1

At this age, your baby is teething as well as testing everything and everyone around him. I have always found a gentle pop on the nose with one finger - along with a firm "No bite!" to be effective, although you may have to repeat several times and they DO tend to forget from one day to the next. With firm and loving guidance, that will improve. Puppy enthusiasm is adorable, but letting them "get away with murder" isn't fair to you OR to your puppy. Our Adele - just turned 6 months - will still occasionally get so excited just about LIFE that she will start chewing on some part or other of us, and one quick correction simply reminds her that it's a no-no, lol.

I used Pam's method with Bosco and I don't get nipped anymore. I even use it when he is jumping and nipping the grands. He's learning.