I finally bought a crate for my baby to use when we leave the house to go to work. He hesitates to go in so we have to toss in a treat, which sometimes works, or give him a little push. Either way, once he is in, I give him praise and let him know how happy I am he's in there (had to teach hubby to do this too since he puts him in most mornings). He doesn't have a fit or jump around trying to get out. Actually, he starts putting his head down like he sad which if I didn't need to do this, I would take him out immediately. He hasn't messed in it at all so I'm hoping he will eventually see the benefit of having his cave and going in and out himself or on command. I still have the xpen but until he is trained not to jump/climb out, I'll put that to the side for a while. I have to get him a water bottle to attach to the side this weekend. Thanks for all the advice.

oOShih Tzu LoveOo

Sound's like he is doing good! My Tzu's LOVE their crates now. They will go in them during the day to nap sometimes :). Daisy is never locked in the crate, she never gets into anything when we aren't here or when we go to bed, but I still have a crate set up for her to go in when she wants to :). We also have an indoor dog house (cloth like material) that she likes to go in sometimes :).

Edited by oOShih Tzu LoveOo
Vicki

Every dog I've ever had absolutely loved their crate. It is their safe place, their bed, their food and water. I seldom have them locked in their crates though. Ebony and Panda share a Great Dane sized crate which is butted up to a sliding glass door that I had a "doggie door" built in to. I'll have to get pictures of my setup one of these days.

Bosco will get used to it and love it shortly. Just don't give up. Just make it a happy place to be.

Vicki