does this woman know her stuff?

londontami

whenever i look on the net for books on training shih tzu's, i always see this one:

http://www.shihtzusavvy.com/?gclid=CNztlvOw_rUCFaLHtAodmXYAKQ

she says that she has the key to making it all gooooood. is she full of crap or is this a legitimate good training book?

I don't know the book. My dogs will sit, IF a treat is forthcoming. They will come IF they feel like it. I see no reason to use the down or sit-stay, because, why torture yourself teaching these little stubborn goofballs stuff like that? They are too small to steal people-food, and it's easier and more fun just to go ahead and hit yourself in the head with a hammer. If I had one shih tzu, maybe I'd be into it, but with six, hey, they way outnumber me.

• Like 1
mr.coffee

Never seen that site before...at a glance, without scouring her site or reading her book, I'd say it looks pretty much like a garden variety training book with a little additional breed-specific info tucked in. I don't know if I'd dump $30 on it, but that's just me. I've seen a few good books out there, but generally speaking it seems like the core elements are always about the same regardless of presentation. One that I bought was The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need. Everything else I got from the internet, mostly here on Chatter with a little help from other sites like dogaware.com and americanshihtzuclub.org.

-m

mr.coffee

They are too small to steal people-food...

Uh....need I remind you about Harley and the fruit basket? LOL! I think the worst, though, was the morning I went to get a refill on my coffee, came back to find Shannon & Devon laughing hysterically. Harley was sitting in my chair eating my breakfast!!!

-m

I know nothing of this book, nor can I find any reviews on it by anyone who is solely a Shih Tzu person. At first glance, I would have to agree with Mike - it appears to be a standard training book with a bit of breed-specific information tossed in. However, I don't even agree with all the breed-specific items (which is a topic for another post entirely). To be honest, there is so much good information on the web these days that I don't know that the purchase of a training book is really necessary.

Paula, my daughter actually saw Bosco jump up and grab a hotdog out of my grandson's hand and he's a rather tall 5 year old.

Hmmm. Well, fortunately, we have no 5 year olds. We do have a 6 year old grandson, but he is a vegetarian, so maybe that's why they leave his food alone.